Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by DanishDevil, Aug 13, 2009.
God i hate Verizon DSL. I get more from 4G LTE
I bascially live the Swedish outback okay..
I can't speak for everyone, but everywhere I've ever lived before now I had fiber connection.
Villages of 800 people can get 100/100 in many places in Sweden. But then again we are world leading pretty much *cough* Some larger cities have as high as 1000/200 for citizens but that costs a fortune. Some quick math tells me roughly 166 usd/month for that type of speed..
100/100, which is more than enough, as it's usually very stable is like 50 bucks.
People laugh at my connection speed around here (me included).
edit/ Slower than 83%.. I feel sorry for the other 17%..
Not ping-wise, you don't.
My Verizon 4G LTE speed while tethering my Samsung Charge to my laptop. The funny thing is I can literally watch 1080p videos on youtube without buffering for hours, but I guess my ping is not that great, because I always have a tiny bit of lag with any online game.
That's what happens with cellular networks. 4G can be great for download speeds, but ping can make gaming slightly irritating.
Meh, what do you expect out of $20 a month?
roadrunner turbo, it's ok could use a better upload speed. it's in my sig.
Actually $166 for 100Mbps ingress and 200Mbps egress is insanely cheap. Most wholesale providers that sell real fiber uplinks charge around $5 Per Mbps on lines under 1Gbps. That is unless you go with someone like Cogentco who can do $1 per Mbps.
You should be happy you are getting it at that price
i didnt realise you were in australia!
He isn't, as far as I can see in his info and speedtest results.
Highest ping I can get with my provider is 5ms
just my home line
you missed the joke about shit australian internet.
Aha. I get it.
I don't undertsand why it kicks up to 500-600Mb (around where it should be for the current load on a 1Gb pipe) and then at the last second hits lag and shows ~ 100Mb, the upload doesn't do that?
I won't live brazil, because internet is very very bad and price self.
Brazil you have internet 15MB down\ 1MB upload.
Igo EUA now.hehe
Great speed friend.
This is embarassing after seeing your results. Those with 100mb/s, how much do you pay for it? The price here is outrageous, $800 a month:shadedshu And if my dad didn't work for our internet provider, this connection would cost $40-$50 a month. Seriously, once I finish school I'm gonna GTFO no matter what.
Pricing and capacity are only better in the US and Western Europe, because more users can afford PCs and internet. More customers means more people to spread the costs that the ISP makes. The "price per unit" drops significantly if the userbase gets bigger.
I thought he meant wireless as in 3G or what you call it.
@Platibus: I used to have a 100/25 line included in my rent (which was €220/month), but I moved. I can get it for about €25/month I think. Now I'm on 10/10 which is more than enough for me.
You also have to figure in land area. Most US areas are actually pretty far behind a lot of the smaller EU and Asian countries in terms of not only overall available speed, but also price.
This costs me almost $70/mo:
Separate names with a comma.