1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Potential SSD Raid.

Discussion in 'Storage' started by Flibolito, Jan 9, 2012.

1. Flibolito

Flibolito

Thanks Received:
    Hi ya'll

So I picked up another Crucial M4 128GB. For my secondary machine (the Z68) I was debating having 2 of these is Raid 0 on the 6Gb/s ports or just leave them individual. I know I will loose TRIM for now, might change this year if Intel can get the software running correctly.

The reason I would not mind keeping them separate is that I wouldn't gain that much read speed as it would hit the ICH10R bandwidth wall around 660MB/s read. I would gain a fair amount of write speed, from 190 to about 350MB/s or so. Is the write speed gain worth loosing TRIM over for gaming and daily operations?

I know ill gain speed in other ways from the raid 0 than just pure bandwidth. Just would like some opinions on the different setups or maybe even a new idea. I do have more than two of these if that makes a difference.

Thanx guys <3
  2. WarDad New Member

Thanks Received:
    Gaming is over 90% read operation. The daily operations with the heavy write loads are web browsing and update downloads, and the bottle neck will be your internet link.

I wonder what the limit is for W7-64 software raid 0 (stripe setup under disk management).
    The Intel south bridge should be PCIE 2.0 x4 channels.
    Each channel is about 550 MBs effective (x1 raid cards spec around this lower number).
    The ICH10R hardware raid may bottle neck, but can software raid do better?

If I had two SSD I would test them simultaneously as independant drives with IO meter.
    If it doubles the bandwidth, then maybe software raid can keep up. It's a big maybe.