1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Powder Coat... Worth the Price?

Discussion in 'Cases, Modding & Electronics' started by commandercup, Apr 12, 2008.

1. commandercup New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm not much into spending weeks painting a case... (full process with week long curing times between coats, sanding, buffing, polishing, waxing etc.)

but... powder coating seems really expensive in comparison to a spray paint job at home...

If I plan on selling cases I've modded in the future, in your guys point of view would you pay extra for the powder coat? IE. If the powder coat cost was $150 would you pay $150 added on to the price of the case and labor?
  2. DaedalusHelios

DaedalusHelios

Thanks Received:
    I don't think anybody would pay $150 added to the cost of a case for powder coat. If it was a color shift or abrasion resistant paint them maybe.:)
  3. Silverel

Silverel New Member

Thanks Received:
    Nah, far too expensive for a paint job. Perhaps if it was a full custom paint job, stylized per preference. For just a basic powercote though, it's just not that important.
  4. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    The decision shouldnt be based on resale....If you like Powdercoat and want it, wallet allowing, get it.

On a whole, you may get a bit more for a pwdercoated case, but not $150.
  5. commandercup New Member

Thanks Received:
    yeah thats what I thought...

well then, branching off from that question

does it matter a lot to have a painted interior? one problem with a great home paintjob for me would be that it would take a couple weeks... which is much longer then it would take for me to actually mod the case...

I was considering just covering the entirety of the interior with some nice paxemate/frozencpu sound reduction matting... it looks pretty sexy with its nice matte black and would reduce sound.

edit:

oh yeah, and I was also considering using vinyl to cover the interior...

such as: http://www.mnpctech.com/Black_Vinyl_Film.html

I got some samples when I ordered 12 ft of U-Channel from them and they seem pretty high quality, nice and smooth and they look like the real thing... and they are cheap