1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Power draw of PCI Security camera card?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by niko084, May 17, 2008.

1. niko084

niko084

Thanks Received:
    I have a system here, basic core2, 2x512 ddr2, 1 7200 rpm hard drive and a brand new dell powersupply with 18 amps on 12volt, system runs perfectly doing orthos and video tests for over 20 hours each... I cannot get the thing to lock up.

Customers problem is it locks up on him, I'm almost curious if this could be because he has a 16 camera card in the machine to record. With that kicking in, with video card use and the encoding could it be overdrawing the power supply and locking the machine up....

So does anyone know if these kind of cards draw any real amount of power?
    The base part of the system has more than enough power...
  2. FR@NK

FR@NK

Thanks Received:
    You already ruled out a software issue?
  3. niko084

niko084

Thanks Received:
    No, not entirely but I have no way to test that myself without going to the site.
    They don't want to pay for me to drive out there.
  4. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Well i am sure tyou know but just in case DELL PSU's are normally under rated.

Maybe trying a low end v card in it maybe ?.. You mean some thing like this ?
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...ail&A=showItemLargeImage&Q=&sku=431779&is=REG

Well don't it say the watts on the PSU ?. And any chance you can look at this card this guys added see who it's made by as they may be able to help you.

Tried the card in your own pc ?..
  5. niko084

niko084

Thanks Received:
    Card works fine, locks randomly... I know dell psu's are generally fairly decent.

I think I'm going to see if he can try it without the video card for a few days, he doesn't game on it so the 8600gt is kinda a waste, its a secuirty camera control system.
  6. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Another thought is how many camera's is there on it ?. Like if you remove a few does it help ?.

Maybe it's just the software sucking ?.. Maybe turn on Compatability for the software and make it skip DEP maybe ?.
  7. niko084

niko084

Thanks Received:
    The software we sell with the security systems has worked perfectly for 30+ camera systems in weaker machines, same os, this system is only controlling 8 currently.

I'll try to turn off DEP if its not, I didn't think about that.