1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Power problem

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by CrAsHnBuRnXp, Nov 17, 2011.

1. CrAsHnBuRnXp

CrAsHnBuRnXp

Thanks Received:
    Hey guys. I just upgraded from S775 to 1155 and purchased an i5 2500k, Asus P8P67 (rev 3.1), 2x2GB G.Skill DDR3 1600, Corsair HX750w. Everytime I shutdown my computer (whether its for 30 seconds or over night) my computer will not power back on on its own. I have to kill the power from the PSU via the switch for 5-10 seconds, flip the switch back on and it boots right up.

This becomes a pain in the ass after a while and I was wondering if anyone has had any other experiences with something happening like this and what you did to solve it (if at all).

The really weird thing is, whenever I have to use the above method to get the computer to turn on, the BIOS gets reset to factory default when I never touch the CMOS battery or jumper.

Thanks for the input guys!

2. NdMk2o1o

NdMk2o1o

Thanks Received:
    Makes sure you have the latest bios revision, I have had this happen on some giga boards before. Also walk through every page of the bios (if you haven't already) and set up everything manually.

3. fullinfusion

fullinfusion 1.21 Gigawatts

Thanks Received:
    sounds like a bad (dead) cmos battery. Change it out and I betcha problem solved.

CrAsHnBuRnXp says thanks.
  4. CrAsHnBuRnXp

CrAsHnBuRnXp

Thanks Received:
    Ive done all of that already. Doesnt seem to make a difference. :-\

Ill give that a go. Ill find an old motherboard and pop its CMOS battery out. Hopefully that will work.

5. John Doe Guest

Another PSU to test?

6. fullinfusion

Thanks Received:
    ^
    :D

Good luck, It should cure the problem.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2011
  7. John Doe Guest

What? I merely made a suggestion. In case the PSU is latching-off (for protection circuits such as SCP or OVP), changing it may work.

I'd also try the card at different PCI-E slots, or give an another card a go.

8. fullinfusion

Thanks Received:
    Never said a thing to ya. I hit the wrong emoticon.
    Fixed now..

9. John Doe Guest

Thing is, he had a GameXStream before. So his PSU must have been changed as well. There's a chance his new unit may be defective.

Oh and, Corsair's QC with those units isn't too shiny these days. I've seen a few of them fail in the past months

http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=1010589

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2011
  10. CrAsHnBuRnXp

CrAsHnBuRnXp

Thanks Received:
    Finally stopped being lazy and switched out the CMOS battery with another one I found lying around. Still the same problem.

My only workaround for this is to put the computer to sleep every night before I go to bed and then I can just tap the mouse and it comes back on. I kinda hate doing this.

So my suspicion lies with the motherboard itself or the PSU. Neither of which I can test without becoming a royal pain to my father or my brother who happen to have the same board and power supply.