1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Power Requirements for 20 HD 7990's

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by Soup, Feb 1, 2012.

1. Jizzler

Jizzler

Thanks Received:
    Yup, lots of industrial options out there. Cyclone has some pretty nice ones:

http://www.cyclone.com/products/expansion_backplanes/index.php

Though for video cards, may or may not have a problem getting that many to work on a single system. Last time I checked (when researching price/perf FAH boxes), drivers wouldn't allow more than 8 nVidia/AMD GPUs. Though this may have changed and something Soup needs to look into before committing to a specific plan.

If there is a limit, just make it easy and go 5 boxes with 4 cards a piece. They could be anything from single to quad CPU, depending on how much CPU power he wants to utilize along with the GPUs.

Also, as linked above, Supermicro has some really nice multi-GPU solutions like 20 Teslas in 10U! I'm a biased Supermicro fan, as a disclosure :D

-edit- Really check up on how many AMD GPUs you can get in a single systems. I know (and have seen) systems with 4 dual-GPU nVidia cards. Not 100% sure for AMD.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
    Soup says thanks.
  2. Soup

Soup New Member

Thanks Received:
    yeah, this

plus this

I want amd for various reasons including price and higher hash rate for mining(when not simulating)

3. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    i was actually looking to setting up 5000 of these in an experiment for science. any ideas on how much power I would need? if the OP needs 4400 watts for 20 I am going to need 5 billion F*kloads of watts! suggestions welcome so long as they don't post jack.

4. Soup

Soup New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, i've been looking into this but am having trouble finding a good answer.

5. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    Could daisy chain power supplies to all power with one push of a switch if needed. So we're talking 1 500W for the systems motherboard and other components and odds are 5 1Kw PSU with 4 gpu's attached. Make sure you throw maybe a fan on each psu to give the other rails some load.

Soup says thanks.
  6. Soup

Soup New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yes. Thank you. This and other replies, are why I posted!

7. adulaamin

adulaamin

Thanks Received:
    if ever you build it could you post like a build log? :)

Crunching for Team TPU
  8. thebluebumblebee

thebluebumblebee

Thanks Received:
    Aren't you limited to 9 dual-slot GPU's per "box"?

9. phanbuey

phanbuey

Thanks Received:
    might be better off building 5 individual quadfire err.. octafire rigs and clustering them together.

That would be the safest bet IMO.

Also, where will this be? Is this going to be in your house or at a datacenter? Might want to consider renting a rack.

Just because I dont think any residential circuit is built to handle that kind of load...

Supermicro superblade might be what you need.

http://www.linux-magazine.com/Onlin...rver-and-GPU-SuperBlade-Systems-at-CeBIT-2011

10. Tensa Zangetsu

Tensa Zangetsu New Member

Thanks Received:
    This I would really like to see

11. Soup

Soup New Member

Thanks Received:
    Just need some PCIe riser cables

Yeah, I'll post my build when/if I go this direction. I'll know by the end of March.

Yeah, I don't really know much about this side of it... I suppose I'll have to consult an electrician as I would either be running it at my home or renting a commercial location. Either way, I'm sure some infrastructure work will be necessary.

adulaamin says thanks.
  12. phanbuey

phanbuey

Thanks Received:
    They will just have to put in additional circuits... which can be expensive...

This might help a bit:

http://electrical.about.com/od/panelsdistribution/f/calculateload.htm

If you go over two 30A - it really would be wise and prudent (well maybe not prudent since it will cost a monthly $$ and over time will add up) to rent space at a datacenter. There are always cheap colos around. Also that way you get redundant power. - at least worth looking into.

13. ViperXTR

ViperXTR

Thanks Received:
    if i remember correctly for FASTRA, the team consulted nVidia, intel and ASUS (for the Supercomputer motherboard) to have some custom drivers and firmware for their project.

Jizzler says thanks.