1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Power supply issue.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by THRiLL KiLL, Mar 21, 2012.

1. THRiLL KiLL

THRiLL KiLL

Thanks Received:
    here is the issue. I have an ocz modstream 700 watt ps. I think the bearing on the fan is going. when the fan spins up under use, i hear a ticking noise, like if the fan was hitting something.

if i flip the power supply over then the ticking stops.

I dont have the receipt, so rma to ocz is out. This is my second one to die, and i couldn't rma the first one. so no more ocz for me.

The question is should i flip the powersupply? or replace the fan (voiding the non-exsistant warranty)?

i would love to rma.. but.
  2. trickson

trickson OH, I have such a headache

Thanks Received:
    If it were mine I would just replace the fan. Not like you are going to kill it and even if you do you can get a better new one right?
  3. m1dg3t

m1dg3t

Thanks Received:
    I would try for RMA, ocz has great CS from my experience's anyways :eek: I was running that PSU for a while but just recently upgraded. You could flip the unit for a quick fix or go ahead and replace the fan, if you have mod skill's/experience it'll be a no brainer:)
  4. Depth

Thanks Received:
    Be careful messing around inside a PSU, capacitators are still charged when you remove the mains.
  5. Cotton_Cup

Cotton_Cup

Thanks Received:
    I say flip it, that should fix your problem I think.
  6. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    Thrill> your best bet is to change the fan. Its quite easy if you have a standard fan size in the PSU (120mm/140mm). I had a Ultra LSP650W that I changed the fan about 3 times HAHA.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  7. Bambooz

Bambooz New Member

Thanks Received:
    Just replace the fan. It's almost guaranteed to be a standard size like 120-140mm.
    While you're in there, clean any dust out and check the capacitors on the secondary side (where the wire-salad exits the PSU).
    If any of them are bulging or even have brown-ish crud on top, they have failed and need replacing (or you just go and get a new PSU.. would be a waste though considering what quality low-ESR caps cost)

edit: just to be safe, keep your fingers away from the primary side capacitors (the huge 400+V grain silos). They're the only ones you could potentially get a shock from if the safety bleeder resistors have failed (which is very rare but.. yeah.. better safe than sorry ;) )

edit2: if the fan makes noises, it most likely has a bad bearing. If you continue to use it, the fan will spin slower and slower, and the PSU will probably cook itself to death.
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2012
  8. m1dg3t

m1dg3t

Thanks Received:
    Make sure you FULLY discharge the cap's before servicing the inside, i do it by unplugging the PSU from the wall and powering up the PC a few time's. You can let it sit for a while too if you're nervous about it
  9. THRiLL KiLL

THRiLL KiLL

Thanks Received:
    thanks for the advice everyone!

i took the psu apart, and confirmed it was the fan.

It takes a standard 140mm so i will be picking one up when i get paid :)