• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Power Supply Question (And general Build opinion)

System Name The Tesseract Cube
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard MSI X570A-PRO
Cooling DeepCool Maelstrom 240mm, 2 X DeepCool TF120S (radiator fans), 4 X DeepCool RF120 (case fans)
Memory 2 x 16gb Kingston HyperX 3200mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon RX 6800 Nitro + 16GB
Storage Corsair MP400 G3 1TB, Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB
Display(s) MSI MAG241C Full HD, 144hz FreeSync
Case DeepCool Matrexx 55
Audio Device(s) MB Integrated, Sound Blaster Play 3 (Headset)
Power Supply Corsair CX650M Modular 80+ Bronze
Mouse Corsair Dark Core Pro Wirless RGB
Keyboard MSI GK30 Mecha-Membrane
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores CPUZ: Single Thread - 510 Multi Thread - 4.050 Cinebench R20: CPU - 3 500 score
Heck so many choices, so little time :-D
Anyway....
Overall good choice on hardware.
Maybe a bit overkill overall but still preety good.
- Change mouse and keyboard to a good combo, and mechanical keyboard is a must on a rig like this.
- Stick with DDR3 since DDR4 is still in development level or beta so i would not choose it.
- Surround if you got a TV to hook it on, while it is hooked to PC. Directly on PC - big NO. It is not usable as real 5.1 audio.
- I would go with 256 SSD + 3 TB WD Black or Red, may come out cheaper, and better option than SSHD.

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
- Stick with DDR3 since DDR4 is still in development level or beta so i would not choose it..
Development/Beta? Hardly. It's barely even new dude. X99 has had ddr4 for over a year now. While there are little to no performance benefits, the only reason to avoid it would be cost. And truth be told, it's not even that much difference in US. ;)

Processor Intel i7 4790K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK
Cooling LEPA AquaChanger 240
Memory G.Skill Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2133
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 980 Superclocked ACX 2.0
Storage Seagate St1000dx001
Case Cooler Master HAF X ATX Full Tower
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA 850W ATX12V / EPS12V
Sorry, didn't mean to come across as closed minded, just wanted to explain my reasoning.

The Mouse/Keyboard is the same I have and she said she wanted it. I've never had issues with it, but I've never used a Mechanical so I guess I don't know what I'm missing. I'll see what she thinks about it.
The HD choice is because I've had very good results with Seagate myself, and my Seagate hybrid drive works amazingly well. I was looking at the WD's but the Seagate had a better price (Although, that's probably because it's a lower rpm, PCPartpicker doesn't display the RPM when it's a Hybrid, it just says "Hybrid" lol)
I'll take a closer look at the HD. I will also look more into SSD's, although AFAIK the Hybrid drive will get VERY close to the SSD performance (For windows itself, not games) and there won't be a fuss about managing where programs install and what-not, so I'm still not sure where to go there.

Her idea is mainly focused towards as much future-proofing as possible, hence the 4790K over a cheaper processor, plus I know all the ins and outs of it and she wants to learn about OC'ing.
I know for certain that even the best Phanteks, in this case, will not handle a heavily OC'd 4790K. I tried. This has been debated several times on my posts, but I trust my personal experience here.
( http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/t...eks-ph-tc14pe-vs-lepa-aquachanger-240.211778/ )
**However I do accept that it may just be the specific combo of parts,but it still means the LEPA should do better than the Phanteks in her rig**

This rig will probably update to 4K monitors and a new GPU when the next generation Nvidia cards come out, so that's why it's rolling with rather basic monitors for now, why spend a bunch on something you will just replace later? She is a huge multi-tasker, when she first saw my dual monitor set-up she freaked and demanded to have the same thing haha.
(someome is buying the Ti from her when she does so, otherwise I would have just rolled with a 980)

I am listening and weighing your opinions and greatly appreciate them! Sorry for seeming close minded.

Processor 13700KF - 5.7GHZ
Motherboard Z690 UNIFY-X
Cooling ARCTIC Liquid Freezer III 360 (NF-A12x25)
Memory 2x16 G.SKILL M-DIE (7200-34-44-44-28)
Video Card(s) XFX MERC 7900XT
Storage 1TB KINGSTON KC3000
Display(s) FI32Q
Case LIAN LI O11 DYNAMIC EVO
Audio Device(s) HD599
Power Supply RMX1000
Mouse PULSAR XLITE V2 MINI (RETRO)
Keyboard KEYCHRON V3 (DUROCK T1 + MT3 GODSPEED R2)
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores Superposition 4k optimized - 20652
You really think hybrid drive is VERY close to ssd ? you are mistaken , i saw 2 hybrid drives from seagate till now and both run slower than a WD black ( i checked them ofc, i'm not just running games and judging), not even close to SSD performance.

SSDs are complete game changers. Hybrids are no where close to SSDs. You won't believe it when I say it, but I'm not trying to be rude here... it feels like you haven't researched computer parts in awhile. Hybrids were a thing when SSDs were expensive but there really is no reason to not put a SSD in your PC for your OS and core programs and games. Then you can buy a 2-3Tb Seagate drive for everything else.

As far as the 4970k vs 6600k goes, of course the i7 is the stronger chip with more staying power but just because someone goes i5 doesn't mean they are obsolete immediately. Look how much staying power the 2500k had. It wasn't until Skylake where 2500k owners finally had a good reason to upgrade and the 2500k was released in Jan 2011. That is 5 years and honestly someone can still game quite well with a recent graphics card because that is where most of your frame rate comes from - the GPU. Here is a link to 4790k vs 6600k - ya the 4790k stomps it in benchmarks (who plays those?) but look how even they are at games.

You seem to be under the impression that a Skylake system will be super expensive, but to give you a recent comparison. I just built a Skylake system and the only thing in your build I would take over my selection is the GTX 980Ti to my 970 but I'm waiting for Pascal so my 970 will replace the video card in my previous gaming machine and I will get the 980 version of Pascal. Anyways, I went WAY overboard on my motherboard and spent twice as much as I should have because I always wanted a fancy motherboard, I dropped $150 on the K70 keyboard, $80 on G502 mouse, I have an SSD and a 2TB WD Caviar Black (7200rpm), I bought a H100i GTX which is more expensive than your AIO and my build was still $220 cheaper ...not counting the monitor.

I'm not counting the monitor because I went super expensive and bought a 144Hz G-Sync monitor. Speaking of which, if you know you are going to a 4k monitor spending $340 on a pair of monitors you are only going to use for a few months seems like a waste of money. I would still rather have 1 awesome monitor over 2 sub-par ones. If you are simply waiting to see what 2016 brings in 4k monitors with all the right options that I can totally understand ...BUT I'd probably give my girl one of my two monitors and just deal with it for a few months rather than spending money on disposable monitors. Only making suggestions but there are some common trends in the advice people are giving you. We get it man, you are trying to do right by your girl by building her an awesome machine she will love. We are only trying to help you on that. Before you buy, google the stuff we are recommending.

Processor Intel i7 4790K
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Going to buy her monitors from her when she upgrades so that's why I'm not bothering with the 4K ones right now. Going to pay her what she paid for them so not really any money lost for her. My one Acer is aging (Has a "Made for windows Vista stamp" haha.)
Also has flickering vertical lines from time to time.

Went ahead and switched to a 250GB Evo SSD, along with a 3TB Seagate 7200 rpm drive instead of the Hybrid. You are correct in the assumption of my research being old, the last time I checked was when I got my Hybrid drive, say 5 years ago (Or more)
The SSD + HDD was only around $30 more than the 4TB Hybrid.

In honesty it seems to me that most of those benchmarks the processor really isn't the limiting factor, I'd like to see what kind of difference it would be in a build running something like a Titan X(Or even two) running GTA 5 on Max settings to see how much of a difference it really makes.
Regardless I think I'm hung on the 4790K build, if there is one thing I'm close minded on it's that. I know the 4790K in and out and want to teach her about overclocking.

I MIGHT swap her cooler to a Corsair one, depending on sales and what-not. Not really because she NEEDS it, but just because cooler is always better. With my LEPA I hit my temperature wall pretty much precisely when I hit my chips limit, so I truly don't need anything more. I doubt her chip will go over mine without going over 1.3v (Which is my personal threshold)
My chip does 4.8 @ 1.24 vcore, but to get 4.9 to even boot takes 1.3 and even then it blue screens on Prime.(Even 1.32 Blue screens on Prime)
But 4.8 @ 1.24 hits around 72-75(Depending on ambient) on the hottest core, and before BSOD the 4.9 @ 1.32 hits 80-85.

Last edited:
Honestly nothing wrong with going 4790k, if that is what you are comfortable with. It will be your build after all and its still a great chip. Glad you listened on the SSD suggestion though.

One thing to keep in mind though is not every chip OCs the same so don't immediately try your overclock settings on her 4790k ...step it up with that as the goal. Just because they are the same CPU doesn't mean they will overclock the same.

Processor Intel i7 4790K
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Oh I love data haha. I'll do the same with her chip that I did with mine, checking first the lowest voltage I can run 4.0 at and then working up.
This is the graph for my chip, I can do 4.0 with only 0.955 vcore :p

(As proof that scaling breaks down as you reach the chips limit though, the voltage needed is fairly predictable up until 4.7-4.8, afterwards the voltage starts skyrocketing.)
CPU Speed vs Voltage.png

Another fun thing to note, I'm running 1.24 for 4.8, but my stock bios settings was running 1.265 for the stock 4.4 turbo boost :p