1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Power Supply Question - How Much Power Needed?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by marcbkk, Jan 29, 2009.

1. marcbkk New Member

Thanks Received:
    I am running an Asus P5K MB with an Intel Quad CPU, an Asus GE Force 8600 GT graphics card, 1 DVD Drive, and with 8GB of RAM. I was running 2 hard disks before and just added a 3rd one into the system. According to things I have read, I should be running a 600 Watt PSU with this kind of hardware. Presently I have an Enermax 450 Watt PSU in there and according to all the voltage meters on the Asus PC Probe Program that came with the MB, I am not getting into any danger zones on voltage. So I am wondering if I really need to spend another $75 to upgrade my power supply or if I can continue using the one I have? I rather not spend the money if it is not needed and is there any other way to find out if I am really exceeding the limitations of the current PSU in terms of power consumption?

Many thanks…

2. p_o_s_pc

p_o_s_pc F@H&WCG addict

Thanks Received:
    I would say your fine as long as you don't overclock your CPU you may even be able to overclock the CPU and still not have problems considering your running a midrange video card

Crunching for Team TPU
  3. burebista

burebista

Thanks Received:
    You're fine but reading voltages with software is crap. measure with a DMM to be sure.
    Your PSU is EG465P-VE (FMA)? If yes you can think to change it, it's an ATX12V v1.3 PSU with heavy load on +3.3V and +5V and you have a system with heavy load on +12V thus you need an ATX 12V v2.xx PSU.

4. marcbkk New Member

Thanks Received:
    Cheers for that mate. With a system like this I see no need for Overclocking really since I am not gaming anyway. So hopefully I will be all set with the PSU I have.

Also, glad to hear my video card is only mid range. I am only doing mainly Photoshop with it and it is fine for that. So I am glad to hear I didn't buy one of the bigger ones without knowing it that would use more power.

5. marcbkk New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yes, that is the model PSU I am running. I am not sure what FMA is, but it is ATX12V v1.2 only. Assuming I wanted to upgrade, but didn't want to spend the money for Enermax again the 2nd time around, is there a cheaper brand which offers a similar level of quality and realiabilty for a higher capacity PSU than what I have?

6. p_o_s_pc

p_o_s_pc F@H&WCG addict

Thanks Received:
    is your system stable under stress? no BSOD no hangs,etc? if you don't have any of those then i would think your fine.. also how hot is the air coming out of the psu?

Crunching for Team TPU
  7. burebista

burebista

Thanks Received:
    OK, as long as you don't OC nothing and don't change your VGA with some monster you'll be fine.

8. marcbkk New Member

Thanks Received:
    By the way, my voltage levels at the moment are showing as 3.18v, 4.87v, and 11.82v

9. burebista

burebista

Thanks Received:
    They don't mean anything until you measure with a DMM. :)