1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Power up problem

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Mutnaum, Jun 19, 2008.

1. Mutnaum New Member

Thanks Received:
    I just took my computer apart to clean the dust out and put in a new motherboard. The computer used to do this with the old motherboard but the problem just went away on it's own. The computer will turn on for 10 seconds then turn off or it will turn on for 5 seconds then turn off, then the next time I turn it on it stays on for 20 seconds then turns off. Does anyone know what could cause the computer to cycle like that.

2. Cybrnook2002

Cybrnook2002

Thanks Received:
    sounds like a bad power supply.

3. Mutnaum New Member

Thanks Received:
  4. Cybrnook2002

Cybrnook2002

Thanks Received:
    still could easily be faulty.

5. Mutnaum New Member

Thanks Received:
    I assumed it was the power supply but I didn't want to replace it until I knew. thank you for the help.

6. Mutnaum New Member

Thanks Received:
    I just got a new power supply and everything was going goo but now it will stay on for manybe 30 minutes and then just turn off. It did this a couple times and now it is starting to act like the old supply just turning on and off. Could something else be causing the problem??

7. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Whats the new PSU ?. I have known CD\DVD players to go faulty in a way were hey drain well more power thats needed.

By underclocking your video card help it stay up longer than 30 minutes ?. How hot is it were you are ?.. I ask as i had the problems with my other when the system was drianing around 380w which made the PC shutdown as the PSU was overheating.

EDIT: You could try rebuilding the PC too.

8. panchoman

panchoman Sold my stars!

Thanks Received:
    hmmm, it might be the motherboard if a new power supply didn't solve the problem...

dont the gigabyte ep45's have some energy saving power control chip on them?

9. Mutnaum New Member

Thanks Received:
    Here is the new psu - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182032

AsRock it is about 80 degrees outside right now so i don't think that is the problem.

panchoman I will look into the energy saving thing but I have to reinstall the os because I was in the middle of installing sp3 for xp when the computer shut down and I can't even get into safemode now.