1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

PowerColor 5850 for $169.99 @ Newegg

Discussion in 'Hot Deals' started by Patches O'Houlihan, Dec 29, 2010.

1. Patches O'Houlihan

Patches O'Houlihan New Member

Thanks Received:
  2. Drizzt5

Drizzt5 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thats a good price. The gtx460's were around that price last time I checked (A few days ago) so this is a good deal.
  3. Cool Mike New Member

Thanks Received:
    I purchased two for Crossfire - Running great!

Running Great. Best purchase I've had in a while. Overclocked well for me. Both setting at
    825 Core and 1175 Memory at stock voltage. P21700 in 3D Mark Vantage. Last time I looked Newegg had sold out. I'm sure they will receive more soon. 169.99 with free shipping is a great deal.
  4. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    I bought one of these cards for about $232 here in the UK - had it for less then 2hrs, found out it overclocked like crap so i deliberately borked the card and sent it back to the shop claiming it was faulty. :p hopefully i can get a refund.

So i can totally vouch for the crap overclocking claims
  5. Jarman New Member

Thanks Received:
    That is just so wrong :/
    overclocker and Magikherbs say thanks.
  6. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    what is?? me borking up the card because it wouldnt overclock??
  7. Jarman New Member

Thanks Received:
    if borking up means deliberately destroying, then yes
  8. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    well IMO the card was crap and it was totally unfit for its purpose - at least borking gets me my money back lol
  9. Jarman New Member

Thanks Received:
    obviously was fit for its purpose, or you wouldnt have had to of destroyed it to get a refund
  10. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    it totally was unfit - even when both cards were running stock in crossfire it would crash. you might be happy running with stock clocks - but I am not. and a peice of crap card like that aint worth £150 - it doesnt even handle small overclocks very well. If i bought 2 of these cards with no intention of overclocking that would be fine. but I bought it to crossfire with my other card - and it wouldnt. so regardless of what you say or think. you werent the one that bought and tested the card, so you dont know how piss poor it was. And if i 'destroyed' it i would have thrown it into a bonfire.

If i didnt bork the card i wouldnt have gotten my money back - that REALLY was a shoddy card - trust me on this.

so quit your belly aching and grow some balls pls - this world isnt as black n white as you think, and occasionally people do need to do bad things to get their money back.

----

and even if i did deliberately brick the card - its nothing that cant be undone by a bios flash (fingers crossed their tech isnt that smart)

If you think so highly of the card then why dont you buy one? it would make a nice upgrade over your 7900GT
  11. Magikherbs New Member

Thanks Received:
    If it was crashing while Crossfire'd then that should have been all the proof you needed.
    I think its bad karma and they will no doubt check the bios for tampering. For that you will burn ! Mooo hhahaahah... ;)

Btw.. getting a job in a RMA tech dept is alot different than finding call center work. You should think twice before you under estimate people...

Peace
    MT Alex says thanks.
  12. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    I'm torn on this. On the one hand I think everyone should research every major purchase like this to know non reference cards overclock like shit. On the other hand I really think they should put some sort of disclaimer on bad clocking cards. The difference between a 800mhz core and 1000mhz core is like stepping up to a significantly more expensive card for free.
  13. PopcornMachine

PopcornMachine

Thanks Received:
    I spent a year watching cards like that sit a $325+.

That is an amazing deal, even now.
  14. Magikherbs New Member

Thanks Received:
    Are you asking for an OC friendly warranty ? hah.. I know some part makers are mod friendly...

Finding a golden Cpu/Gpu OCer is pure luck of the draw. And from what I've seen, the odds are in the buyer's favor.
    It would be interesting to know how many 5850s would have made the grade as 5870s, if it were not for market demand.
    I'm sure we'll need WikiLeaks to find out that one ! haha..
  15. Cool Mike New Member

Thanks Received:
    In Xfire for one week with NO issues at all. Running 825 Core 1175 Mem. Have ran 3D Mark Vantage at least 10 times and have played COD Black OPS for at least 15 Hours over the past week with no problems. I have found a Quality PSU is Key to good overclocking and stable performance. I am running a Seasonic X650 Gold, AMD X4 965 CPU @ 4.0Ghz, ASrock 890FX Deluxe 4 Mother Board, 8GB GSkill memory @ 1666Mhz 7-8-7-20 timings, OCZ Agility2 240GB SSD and a few more goodies.
  16. Jarman New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have a 6970 :/ 7900gt burned out many years ago...maybe i should update my system spec section :S

Borking the card with a bad bios is much different to destroying the card, misunderstanding on my part
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2011
  17. Cool Mike New Member

Thanks Received:
    There all gone. Deactivated at Newegg. Glad I grabbed two. Running Great.
  18. pabloottawa

Thanks Received:
    They are garbage!!!! I bought one and regret it to this day. The fan is SUPER loud and sounds like it's on it's way out and I have been having nothing but problems since day one.
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011
  19. meran New Member

Thanks Received:
    i bought second hand sapphere 5850 toxic its an amazing card quiet even when hard oced to 1000/1300 pretty good deal only bad thing about it that its weak at tesselation
  20. jmcslob

Thanks Received:
    I was looking at that card UNTIL
    I realized that to save cost PowerColor redesigned the power system for the card....
    It is only capable of providing just enough power for the card to run at average usage..
    EDIT: but the price is so~tempting
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2011
  21. Cool Mike New Member

Thanks Received:
    Running very well

Seems some have had bad commits. I purchased two in crossfire one month ago. The best video card purchase I have EVER made as far as cost vs performance. My PC sets about 2-3 feet from my right ear about four feet off the ground and has a very low sound coming from fan. My overclocks came in at 815core and 1200 memory on both cards with complete stability for one month now. 3Dmark vantang score is 21,600 running a AMD X4-965 @4.0 Ghz. Also running a ASROCK 890FX deluxe4 with 8GB Memory @ 1666 Mhz 7-8-7-20 timings.
    Powersuppy is a Seasonic X650 Gold. I believe people having OC issues maybe have other issues within their systems. The Power Supply is Key. Anyway this 5850 is great and I would purchase another for tri-fire if it would fit in my system.
  22. Paulieg

Paulieg The Mad Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Despite some of the negative reviews, I took a chance and ordered one of these. Happy to report that I'm stable at 920 on the core with 1.16v and temps are very reasonable.
  23. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    my only comment on this is overclocking is luck of the draw if your card does not overclock that is bad luck and intentionally killing it is dishonest and stealing. that being said i have had a couple of chips 7750BE and 720BE that within hours of me putting them in a board became unstable at stock clocks without ridiculously trying to kill them and i did send those back but they were just bad chips no OC and not stable stock
    Loosenut says thanks.
  24. Cool Mike New Member

Thanks Received:
    Paulieg - Question for you. Thanks...

Paulieg. Nice overclock. Looks like this was with Factory core voltage right? I have been not able to find a package that would allow me to bump the core voltage with this card.
    When playing COD Black OPS I freeze up at 825 CORE and above. I am crossfiring two of these though. Xfiring typically requires a bump down in core from my experience.
  25. Paulieg

Paulieg The Mad Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm using the new Sapphire Trixx software, developed by Wizz. It allows voltage adjustment for this card. I've bumped it up to 1.16.