1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

PowerColor HD 4770 AGP Gets Listed, Fastest AGP Card in the Making?

Discussion in 'News' started by btarunr, May 13, 2009.

1. 15th Warlock

15th Warlock

Thanks Received:
    Good point, :) but do you think this alleged 0.09~0.15% drop in production costs will actually translate to lower prices for the end consumer? I know you just the used the 2 cents as an example, maybe getting rid of the extra hours spent designing an AGP board and actual production costs would lower the PCIe production cost by a higher margin.

But my point is, do you think this justifies the "Why wont AGP just die" attitude, when there's a lot of ppl out there who still have AGP systems, I mean, if I had to choose between having the price for my GTX285 going from $340 to $337.99 when I bought it, but having to sacrifice any chance to upgrade my old AGP rig, or even let my father upgrade his old PC at home, or my cousin get a new AGP card for his good ol gaming PC, I would gladly choose to pay the extra $2...

Now, I don't see this as an "AGP Tax", and I really have no idea of how much droping AGP production completely would affect the price for PCIe parts, but does it really affect me so much to just wish other ppl didn't have the opportunity to upgrade?

Anyway, in the end the card doesn't even exist so, we may finally be witness to the end of AGP, an end that was supposedly due about 4 years ago; and for today the HD3850 remains king among old AGP rigs... :rockout:
    Last edited: May 14, 2009
  2. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    oh i dont think it'll make any real difference. while i see no reason for AGP cards to still be produced, i'm not one of hte ones wishing for it to die in a fire.
  3. lemonadesoda

lemonadesoda

Thanks Received:
    Powercolor could score some brownie points by creating the 4770 AGP. I doubt they would make a "big profit" of the SKU, they might even lose some, BUT, OH MY, would they get a lot of free press and reviews and face-time for doing it.

The powercolor name would receive hundreds of thousands of hits... and also garner a few loyal customers to what is, otherwise, a second tier brand. It would really bring them into focus.

Did you poll yet? http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=94154
  4. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    there are not even enough gpus to make pci-e 4770s. from what i hear aibs instantly sell all gpus they get from amd
  5. Yukikaze

Yukikaze

Thanks Received:
    I wonder if there are enough spare HD4830 GPUs to make an AGP HD4380 viable, considering the HD4770 is out and quite cheap. But I doubt a new AGP card is worthwhile, other than the HD4670 currently in the works - simply because it is already in the works.
  6. a_ump

a_ump

Thanks Received:
    really? i knew the HD 4770 would be a decent hit, but i didn't think it would be that amazing :p. It definitely one of those perfomance changing cards, being $99-$109, HD 4770=smart move ATI.