1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Powercolor HD 6870X2 On Newegg... Only..

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by Pestilence, Jul 6, 2011.

1. Pestilence New Member

Thanks Received:
  2. afw

afw New Member

Thanks Received:
    $450 would have been ok IMO ... hmmm ...
  3. Pestilence New Member

Thanks Received:
    Agreed. I would have paid 449 in a heartbeat
  4. Jeffredo

Jeffredo

Thanks Received:
    I don't understand this card (especially at that price).
  5. Delta6326

Delta6326

Thanks Received:
    Well I believe this will fit in nicely.

[​IMG]
    El_Mayo, yogurt_21 and [H]@RD5TUFF say thanks.
  6. Yukikaze

Yukikaze

Thanks Received:
    Me neither...the price stinks. You can get an Asus GTX580 DCII for 10$ less and get the same performance, with more RAM and no scaling issues.
  7. Damn_Smooth

Damn_Smooth New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yukikaze says thanks.
  8. Yukikaze

Yukikaze

Thanks Received:
  9. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Here you go:

[​IMG]

Same technology at 1/10th the price.
    _JP_ says thanks.
  10. LordJummy

LordJummy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Of course two 6870's are cheaper. This is a single card with two 6870's packed into it. It might cost more to manufacture it....

Go buy two 6870's and get the same performance. I think the price is totally justified. If it is better than the GTX 580 in terms of raw power then why not charge a bit more for it?
  11. Yukikaze

Yukikaze

Thanks Received:
    A GTX580 costs 460$ on newegg. This thing is just badly priced.
    [H]@RD5TUFF says thanks.
  12. LordJummy

LordJummy New Member

Thanks Received:
    In your opinion it is "badly" priced (I think you meant poorly priced). From my point of view (Director of Sales & Marketing) it is the perfect price. It's a single card that beats the gtx 580, check. It is $200 cheaper than the 6990 but gets similarly awesome performance, check. It will sell like crazy, check.

GTX 580 at launch: $500+
    GTX 590 at launch: $700+
    6870X2 at launch: $519

It crushes the GTX 580's performance at practically the same launch price. Not to mention it is a dual gpu single card solution. You think they are going to launch a card that is more powerful than the GTX 580 (a dual gpu single card at that) for less than a GTX 580? Please tell me how that makes any sense at all. You are paying for innovation, ingenuity, and the convenience of a single card. Not to mention manufacturing costs...

I think the price is great for PowerColor and the other reference card carriers. They will make the proverbial killing off of this card.

So, again, it is "badly priced" in your opinion.
  13. dir_d

dir_d

Thanks Received:
    It really does beat the 580 by a good margin and keeps up with AMDs and NVIDIAs dual card solutions. For some strange reason it seems to out perform 6870 xfire also. I think it is priced ok if it was 499 it would be a killer though.
  14. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:
    That's all fine and dandy for the companies selling the card, but I(the comsumer) get's bent over and dry F'ed. If the companies are gonna make a "proverbial killing" off of this card, they could afford to sell it for less than it's priced at.
    Crunching for Team TPU 1 Million points folded for TPU
  15. LordJummy

LordJummy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Simple answer: don't buy it.
  16. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:

You honestly think that is the right attitude to have when trying to sell something? Let me ask you this, which is more profittable? Sell 1000 of these cards at $100 profit, or selling 3000 of these cards for a $50 profit and offering more performance than the GTX580 for substantially less money?
  17. LordJummy

LordJummy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Here's the funny thing: I'm not selling these cards.

I couldn't care one bit less what PowerColor's attitude towards selling these cards is.

Also, I can guarantee you that a $50 drop in price at launch isn't going to triple their sales. That's ridiculous and naive to think that. They are using a very specific pricing structure, just like I do. They don't just make up a number and hope it sells. I can also promise you there is barely any profit margin in this card for the resellers (PowerColor, Diamond, Sapphire, etc).

(Oh and even if they dropped it $50 and sold three times as many cards magically, which wouldn't happen, the additional profit would only be a 50% gain on the initial profit.)

So what point are you trying to make? You think they should drop their initial price to satisfy a few users on this forum?

They are launching the card at this price to take advantage of "launch craze", and they will drop the price soon thereafter to scoop up the cheaper market segment. I'm sure they know what they're doing.

*Oh and let me drop some quick math on you.

1,000 cards sold at $100 profit margin = $100,000 in profit.

1,000 cards sold at $50 profit margin = $50,000 in profit.
    2,000 cards sold at $50 profit margin = $100,000 in profit. Weird?
    3,000 cards sold at $50 profit margin = $150,000 in profit.

They wouldn't come close to doubling their sales let alone tripling them with such a small price drop. They have no reason to drop the price yet. Also by launching at this price it gives them more room to work down.
  18. _JP_

_JP_

Thanks Received:
    No news of this card here. I wanted to see one. I'm expecting a price of 500€.
  19. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:
    Those numbers are just hypothetical numbers I pulled from my head. I have no idea how many of these cards they will sell or what thier profit margin is on them. Also, I never claimed to be a marketing/sells guy. But it just seems like common sense that if a lower price point will generate enough sells to offset the difference in price margin, why not go that route. Personally, if I could make $150,000 from a product because of a lower price compared to making $100,000 for a higher price, I'd much rather have the $150,000.

BTW, that goes for any product/service, whether it be a gfx card, a car, or a house renovation(my current line of work)
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2011
  20. LordJummy

LordJummy New Member

Thanks Received:
    I am aware they are hypothetical. Their actual profit margin is much smaller.

I'm just giving my point of view from sales & marketing stand point. They have to launch at a price like this as they are a reseller. These resellers make a tiny profit off of each card. They want to take advantage of the initial buyers and then drop it over time to sell some volume when their cost goes down.

I understand what you are saying, and it would be great if they sold it cheaper off the bat. You have to understand this entire market is f*cked right now. There is barely any profit left in reselling high end hardware. The end is near.

Oh, and as I was saying. Dropping the card $50 is NOT going to triple sales. My point is they will never reach that "$150,000" by dropping the price. It was just an example to show that they would have to more than double their sales just to increase the profit margin. Forget it, lol.
  21. Pestilence New Member

Thanks Received:
    Still in stock at newegg. That actually surprised me
  22. Volkszorn88

Volkszorn88

Thanks Received:
    Wow for that price I'll just stick with my 2x 6870s and wait til October to buy 2x 6970s.
  23. Yukikaze

Yukikaze

Thanks Received:
    The pricing is bad, and it is indeed my opinion. You, however, are bringing up plenty of points yet your post reads like a press release intended to promote the product. As usual for press releases it has little to do with features that interest the consumer. I couldn't care less for "Innovation and ingenuity" when I buy a product: In the end, I care how it performs and how much it costs (Case in point: The Phenom was way more innovative than the Core 2 Quad: It had an IMC and it was a single-die design. Did it matter? Heck no). The GTX580 is just as convenient (after all, it is a single card), so that point is moot as well. Nobody cares for the launch prices, either: The only thing that matters is how they are priced one against another now and how they will be priced one against the other in the future.

It doesn't crush the GTX580's performance, either. It is faster, yes, but not by an amount significant enough to warrant the adjective of "crushing" (and if you take specific titles such as Civ5, AvP or Crysis as examples, then the same can be done in the opposite direction with F1 2010, CoD:BO, HAWX2 and Fallout New Vegas. It should also be noted, for fairness, that in nearly all cases both setups are way above the playable level anyway, so the advantages in either direction are rather moot). It also suffers from problems that affect dual-GPU setups, such as problems with certain specific titles (F1 2010), scaling problems with games where Crossfire support is (still) poor and high temperatures (up to 86c under load) when compared to an OC'ed GTX580 model with a custom cooler (which also costs less).

Overall, this is a battle which I think the GTX580 wins, especially when a top-of-the-line model costs a bit less (Asus GTX580 DCII - 499$, Gigabyte GTX580UD - 499$, eVGA DS Superclocked - 499$, Galaxy GTX580 Tri-Fan - 489$, ), and reference cards are sitting around or below the 470$ mark.

If this thing launched at 470-480$ then it would've been a different story, and if the prices fall to that mark quickly (with the GTX580 remaining in its place) then I will be singing a different tune, but as it stands at the moment, the pricing is bad, poor, or incorrect. Pick whichever adjective you prefer. It might be the perfect price for you as a "Director of Sales and Marketing", but it isn't the perfect price for the consumer, which is what matters.
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2011
    Jeffredo says thanks.
  24. Pestilence New Member

Thanks Received:
    We need a real review and not from some no name site.
  25. Yukikaze

Yukikaze

Thanks Received:
    What we need is a w1zz review and not one that covers only 4 games. When comparing a GTX580 with a 2xHD6870 CF setup (which this thing essentially is) across a broader range of games then the results are far less one-sided.