1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Powercolor HD 6950 Fan Spin Up on PC start up?

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by jboydgolfer, Dec 5, 2012.

1. jboydgolfer

jboydgolfer

Thanks Received:
    Hello,

I recently have been having an issue with My GPU when I restart/Start my PC, it Does that High Fan Speed thing. It only last for about 2-5 Second's, and Rarely it will Persist until Window's is Completely Loaded.

1st >>>what is the Cause/likely Cause?
    2nd >>> Solution?
    3rd >>> Should I Even Care?
    I recently installed the Newest Driver From AMD, with the Far Cry 3 Fixes. I didn't notice it Before that. Since installing the New driver, I've had some "Strange" complication's with My Performance, e.g. Screen Flashing While Browsing Internet, And For Lack of a better term, "Glitchyness". Also A Crash while playing GTA 4 TBOGT.
    But , it was only a Crash to Desktop , Not a Freeze, And No Driver has Stopped Working message.

As Always , Your Help is Much Appreciated. Thank You.

The Rest of My Hardware is Within 10 Months old, and Has never been a problem.
    I'm assuming this is either a Driver issue, or something in the Bios, But I haven't changed My Bios , So it's likely Not that.
  2. Crap Daddy

Crap Daddy

Thanks Received:
    I think here's your answer. It won't damage anything. Try to revert back to other driver and see what's going on. I remember having this some time ago, on Nvidia card, where the fan just ramped up at start up. Didn't take any measures and I can't remember how it went away nor what card it was.
    jboydgolfer says thanks.
  3. CJCerny

CJCerny

Thanks Received:
    The video card fan is under control of the video card BIOS until the OS loads the video card driver. If the fan is spinning up more now than it used to when the PC is first powered on, the video card BIOS thinks the GPU is hotter than it used to be. Dust on the fan or heatsink or dried up thermal paste on the GPU could be the issue. Or, could be that it is working as it always did and that you never noticed it until now.
    Crap Daddy says thanks.
  4. jboydgolfer

jboydgolfer

Thanks Received:
    Okay thank, I'll try Cleaning it.
  5. lyndonguitar

lyndonguitar I play games

Thanks Received:
    How often do you clean it?
  6. radrok

radrok

Thanks Received:
    It's normal, my 6990s spin up to 100% on startup, it has always been like that :)
    cadaveca says thanks.
  7. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Mine too, although it can be sporadic. Every single card did it, I think I had 6 or 7 of those card, different heatsinks too, same thing, fan goes too 100% at times on boot, when driver loads, it drops down.