1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

PowerColor HD 6950 unlock

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by SecurityCop, Dec 11, 2012.

1. SecurityCop New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey guys, brand new here, but I tried unlocking my PowerColor HD 6950 to the 6970 as listed through the tutorial. I used ATIFlash, and the Bios rewrote just fine, but when I rebooted my computer, the card and drivers were still listed as the exact same. I don't know if there is something I am doing wrong if you guys can let me know, but I'll post all of the info about the card I have, as I'm not quite sure what is needed from it to identify if it is unlockable or not.

Serial Number: PG1104010195
    (Random Number) G063000-0389P0015309AA-28 K3
    Model: AX6950 2GBD5-2DH

I'll also post a screen shot from GPU-Z when I power my desktop back on, but if anyone has info right now that can help, that would be fantastic =)

EDIT: Here's SS http://imgur.com/ybDaD

And just so you know how I did it, I made sure the switch was set to position 1, I then opened ATIWinFlash, saved a backup of my BIOS, and then used the stock Sapphire 6970 BIOS to upgrade. ATIWinflash told me everything was succesful, so to reboot. I did, then when it logged back on, it had the same info on GPU-Z. From there, I tried using the batch file that was included with the ZIP I downloaded from the unlocking article. Same issue
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2012
  2. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    If it flashes successfully and still shows the old shaders then I am afraid its not unlockable.
    SecurityCop says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. SecurityCop New Member

Thanks Received:
    Alright well thank you, that stinks though )=
  4. GreiverBlade

GreiverBlade

Thanks Received:
    well you still have the core/mem value of a 6970 and thats: is not so bad

(not to self: i should try to flash my club3d or mod the original bios with RBE)
  5. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    Yea as some would say, it only gains at most 5% in the end. just OC and get the same performance.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  6. SecurityCop New Member

Thanks Received:
    Overclocking the card actually causes my drivers to crash for some reason. Only when I go to actually run a game, so I'm thinking it might be my power supply but I'm not 100% sure
  7. Jack1n

Thanks Received:
  8. SecurityCop New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hm, seems interesting, but also seems like it might take a bit of time to get to know this program before I'm comfortable modifying my cards BIOS, unless someone has a quick guide on how to easily unlock this card using RBE (if it is possible)

I appreciate all of the help by the way guys =)

EDIT: Started looking into my BIOS, apparently they're already set to have the 6970 shaders unlocked. Any possibility that all I have to do is install 6970 drivers and it would use all of the shaders, or am I just being stupid?
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2012
  9. Jack1n

Thanks Received:
    I believe the 6970/50 share drivers.
  10. GreiverBlade

GreiverBlade

Thanks Received:
    well driver are the same for all AMD cards i dont recall specificall drivers for them.
  11. InnocentCriminal

InnocentCriminal Resident Grammar Amender

Thanks Received:
    When I unlocked my card I needed to remove the Catalysts in order for the card to be correctly detected. I suggest uninstalling the drivers completely and then reinstalling the latest beta set.