1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Powercolor LCS 7970 - Terrible coil whine

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by the54thvoid, Apr 5, 2012.

1. the54thvoid

the54thvoid

Thanks Received:
    I take 4 hours to drain, rebuild and carefully replumb a new loop for my 7970 LCS and after a quick leak test (a few hours - dry as a desert) I switch on the PC properly.

And i get the most awful rattly whine from the card. I guess it's coil whine - never had it before on any card from either camp. I've downclocked to stock (925) but it still persists. I've overclocked but still persists.

Is this an RMA case? I bought a liquid cooled card to complete my loop and play in blissful silence and instead i get this pish.

Whatsthe verdict (I don't pay £530 for a liquid cooled solutiuon that makes more noise than a fan).

:mad: :(

2. moocow0463

Thanks Received:
    This is a common issue I'd try to rma it. My xfx core edition is loud once it hits 60 percent fan speed but while below that it's just as quiet as my other cards

3. thesmokingman

Thanks Received:
    Some degree of coil whine is expected, though imo it should be silent at stock clocks. However if its as loud and obtrusive as you say becoming a nuisance, I would exchange it.

4. Finners

Thanks Received:
    should have brought a more expensive card!

5. the54thvoid

the54thvoid

Thanks Received:
    Isn't £527 enough? ;)

I've requested my RMA.

6. 20mmrain

20mmrain

Thanks Received:
    Yeah I was gonna say that is a freaking expensive card..... When I had my HD 7970's they did not whine like that. I would RMA......As a matter of fact I wouldn't hear a peep from them even up at 1300Mhz and they were both water cooled. I would defiantly RMA before something happens.

7. the54thvoid

the54thvoid

Thanks Received:
    RMA in progress, disaster ensues!!

Well, I removed the 7970, re-installed the slightly larger 580 lighting and the system fails to boot :eek:

After making a frankenstein loop to keep it in place and allow for easier filling and draining for my replacement card I get a boot error.

'failed to boot because the device is innaccessable' - I use 2 SSD's.

Thing is on the post screen it is recognised but the UEFI interface doesn't see it. I tried to repair with windows disc but it wouldn't work there either. It wouldn't even let me install windows on it, even after i formatted it.

So I had to use my other SSD to install windows on and have lost all my music and photos (gf has back up of most photos). And obviously having to reintall all software.

My RMA is a replacement 7970, let's hope it has no coil whine, otherwise I'll be doing some Powercolor bashing very shortly.

8. Scheich

Thanks Received:
    Had the same isssue with powercolor 5850 last year when they were new. I played around abit with the parts and the noise vanished for unknown reason and never returned.

For that horrible noise alone, you should be entitled for some compensation..