1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

PowerColor Pimp My Rig Contest - General Discussion

Discussion in 'Contests' started by W1zzard, Sep 3, 2012.

1. D007

D007

Thanks Received:
    Get the lowest score is a dumb idea imo.. People will just break out some pos pc and run that.. All the while they have a 3,000.00 PC sitting right next to them..
    Was that supposed to make it fair? All it did was call out all the little scammers and people who are lame enough, to try to steal away an opportunity from someone who actually has a crappy pc, to get a new one.

While I love the idea.. I wish there was a better way to make sure people who win, actually need the thing.
  2. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Pretty sure they knew about this before the contest started. The world isn't fair I guess... At least we have these contests to pass the time.
  3. Ranmamez New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hello.
    I totally agree with D007, and I am still wondering: what's the sense of such competition if Powercolor let ppl compete with their 3000€ new hyperfast ninja rigs slowdowned by underclocking and background resource-eating apps? Why don't they put new limits like:
    • only out-of-market hardware is allowed: and i think it should be at least pre x-64 hardware for cpu and pre-dx10 for gpu;
    • running only 3dmark03 alone, that means to: open "msconfig", deselect every non-microsoft services and all the startup apps (so to make a diagnostic startup without disabling all the MS services) and reboot, then launch 3dmark03 alone.
    To be the fairest, everyone that owns a super-duper gaming rig on his desk, should be ethic and not participate, but this couldn't be proved, so at least use your OLD hardware for real and not your new one super-tricked to compete against who really have ONLY old hardware and wants the chance to get something new (apart of buying new hardware to support the prize, btw this is another issue but meh...)!
  4. damric

damric

Thanks Received:
    This contest is fun, and it's really quite difficult.

A big hurdle is being stable enough to submit the score once you have gimped your machine as such.

It takes a lot of skill to do this successfully.

Not sure why all the whining.
  5. vavyn New Member

Thanks Received:
    even old pc will still get crazy scores in 3d mark 03.
  6. Maban

Maban

Thanks Received:
    To those that think that people are so-called cheating by underclocking, running Furmark, etc., do you have any idea how incredibly difficult and time consuming it would be to police a competition where you could only use stock clocks on specific hardware. And by specific hardware, I mean thousands of different processors, graphics cards, motherboards, and so on.
  7. vavyn New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well said. Also hardware only helps you a little bit. No matter how old your hardware is you still won't get in the single digit score without underclocking etc.
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2012
  8. xpressoz New Member

Thanks Received:
    The final score should be made 70% by the year of the grafic card, the older the better... no?:slap:
  9. pasha4ur New Member

Thanks Received:
    ? :)
  10. Maban

Maban

Thanks Received:
  11. sterob New Member

Thanks Received:
    i wonder if my pc will explode running some thing like 3dmark03
    still now there is no more 3dmark installer on futuremark site. Is it ok to download it from guru3D?
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2012
  12. keizcee New Member

Thanks Received:
    yes free version would do
  13. keizcee New Member

Thanks Received:
    They must have at-least change the "The Quest for the Slowest Rig on Earth" :D It's just not right I think :confused:
  14. Ranmamez New Member

Thanks Received:
    This is my point.
    Answering to those who whined about my (and others') complain: i'm not so much against underclocking or running heavy background programs on our own rig, i'm against those who do this using their recent fast and expensive rig, those who don't need a new recent videocard or a recent motherboard to upgrade their rig (or even rigs!)!
    Running at stock speed and without any background app would be the fairest scenario but I already know that it's really hard to control everyone! Even tho you have to keep in mind that 3dm03 can't run under a minimum cpu specification (like having at least mmx extensions i guess) and there's still the competition rule to make all the 4 game test, so you still need a dx9 compliant videocard.
    In any case, tell me if someone who owns an I7 3970x, with a double radeon hd7990 pumping the hell out of everything, need to participate to this competition? Do they really need to get a new fast recent videocard for free? Do you think it's right?
    Btw, i wasn't talking about cheating, i was talking about ethics.
    Powercolor should've called it "The quest for the lowest 3dmark03 result". That would set all things correct, and nobody would have complained.
  15. Maban

Maban

Thanks Received:
    Surely you can't be sore because they named it Pimp My Rig. What difference would it make getting a score of 1 with an old system versus a score of 1 with a new system? They did this same competition last year, and did one back in 2008. They knew exactly what people are going to do to get low scores. This is by no means a pity competition where you win based on what your old dilapidated hardware can or cannot do. It can take some serious knowledge and skill to obtain a winning score.
  16. pasha4ur New Member

Thanks Received:
  17. pasha4ur New Member

Thanks Received:
    Error "lost focus" makes me crazy :(
  18. mikhazh New Member

Thanks Received:
    me too...
    prishlos' turn OFF =TranscendentalPrecision
  19. raikko05

raikko05 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Can I use windows 98???
  20. Absolution

Absolution

Thanks Received:
    3Dmark03 supports windows 98, so yeah. Who knows what the 2nd test will be like (software might not be compatible), but atleast u can qualify for the first round.
  21. bigboi86

bigboi86 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I stopped messing around with this after I scored an 8... but the 17th is coming up fast and I'm about to get to work.

:)
  22. attilio New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi all,

I've just obtained this score :) :
    http://www.3dmark.com/3dm03/6479658

It should be a valid 0, but in the detailed score it shows N/A as score, but the fps of each test is bigger than 0,00, I've watched all the 4 tests running and everyone has done at least 3 frame.

I haven't submitted it yet, I just want to be sure that this is a valid score.
  23. Ranmamez New Member

Thanks Received:
    :O How did you achieved such score? :O
  24. vavyn New Member

Thanks Received:
    It's invalid. If you click "detailed score" and under 3d mark score. it's N/A. Thus it is invalid. Also you don't have a cpu score. Even if you cancel the cpu score it should show 0 score.

Example
    If you click "detailed score" you will see that the 3d mark score correspond with the 3d mark score under "detailed score"

Reason why you got 0 is because the 3d mark score is N/A.
  25. Maban

Maban

Thanks Received:
    I don't believe that will count but you should submit it anyway as multiple submissions are allowed.