1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

PowerColor Teases with Vortex III Cooling Solution

Discussion in 'News' started by btarunr, May 24, 2012.

1. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Keeping up with a trend pioneered by the likes of ASUS, ZOTAC, and others, PowerColor is working on a high-performance albeit triple-slot graphics card cooling solution called Vortex III, which the company plans to implement on upcoming Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition graphics cards. A teaser picture, which reveals quite a bit about the new cooler, was posted by DonanimHaber. The picture reveals the cooler to use a black+red color scheme matching with a black colored PCB, a design that appears to occupy three expansion slots, and three fans ventilating a large aluminum fin heatsink below them. PowerColor is likely to exhibit new graphics cards that implement the Vortex III cooling solution, at Computex 2012.

[​IMG]

Source: DonanimHaber

2. james888

james888

Thanks Received:
    3 fans is really a trend. Its not like they couldn't do it before right? Why now?

Crunching for Team TPU
  3. techtard

techtard

Thanks Received:
    Because now people want their graphics cards to be powerful + quiet, maybe?
    It sucks when you are playing a game and not using headphones if your graphics card sounds like a jet turbine.
    A 3 fan triple slot cooler is a small price to pay for a quiet card. Plus,you have more headroom to overclock with a better cooler, too.

4. crazyeyesreaper

crazyeyesreaper Chief Broken Rig

Thanks Received:
    yea looks good, love my Asus direct cu II it does the job and utterly silent up to 60% fan speed with temps of 55c at load at 1125 core i cant complain, have to wait for w1zzards review on a 7970 with this cooler attached.

5. james888

james888

Thanks Received:
    3 fans->Cooler->better overclock-->MOAR POWER

I wouldn't mind 2 larger and quieter fans. I certainly am a power+silence guy. All fans in my case are inaudible except when I open the case. That is all fans but the ones on my gpu. Twin frozr III

Last edited: May 24, 2012
    Crunching for Team TPU
  6. Delta6326

Delta6326

Thanks Received:
    I really don't see the need for triple slots. I would much rather go with the Asus DC2 670

Side note do you like the 550d? I was looking at getting one and what fans do you have?

7. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    looks sleek but should be at the most a dual slot card, this is like how Palit/Gainward Sonic Cards were same with Asus MARS

8. Anusha

Anusha

Thanks Received:
    looks like it is exhausting hot air outside the back eh? if so WIN!

9. badtaylorx

badtaylorx

Thanks Received:
    whats even more interesting is the devil 13 moniker at the rear of the card!!!

10. james888

james888

Thanks Received:
    I love the 550d. It is great because of the modularity. It can fit decent watercooling and a ton of fans, or not and have the side panels on for quieter computing. I have a mix of cougar fans and stock corsair fans. I think one acer. I don't remember. I seem to get better temps if I keep the side panel shut and without fans.

I am in the process of getting all cougar because they push more air are pretty much silent at a claimed 17db. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eHtZgdusTQ

Last edited: May 24, 2012
    Delta6326 says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU