1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

powering pump water cooling noob

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by mrbudgie, Aug 6, 2009.

1. mrbudgie New Member

Thanks Received:
    lo dudes

i bought one of these kits (used condition but cheap) http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=44 it also came with a spare pump and radiator same as what is in the kit.

so got a few questions for the experts.

will this spec pump be able 2 use 2 off these radiators on the same loop and if its got 2 radiators will it need fans on them or can i use the radiators without the fans.

also i think the relay switch thingy that comes with the kit has gone as i have wired in both pumps with no power getting to them. plugged it into back of comp and powered it on with no luck (didnt have any fans attached to relay but i dont think that would stop it starting) so if the relay is gone how can i get the pump to power up with the PC, is it posible to attach it to my main PSU or by some kind of replacement relay..

cheers peeps

ian :) :toast:
  2. Gzero New Member

Thanks Received:
    Depends on where you put the rads, you could get away with only cooling one, leaving the other to passive air.

For the pump power, I guess you could trust replace relay piece if you can find one. Would really need to know how it is connected to the pump since I can't see any close of pics of it.

Or just buy a pump that doesn't need a relay that has the same fitting and decent flow rate.
    mrbudgie says thanks.
  3. mrbudgie New Member

Thanks Received:
    sorry as well I havent updated my proccesser in the system bit its now a q9550 if thats helps at all
  4. Gzero New Member

Thanks Received:
    mrbudgie says thanks.
  5. Beertintedgoggles

Beertintedgoggles

Thanks Received:
    There are a few ways you could wire that pump (same as any other AC pump). The lazy and easy way, just have it connected to a NEMA 5-15P plug (standard plug that plugs into your regular household outlet if you're in the US) and plug it in before you start your comp. every time. That's the route I took when I used an AC pump a while ago. Or you can get another relay. There are many different types, the most common for this app. would be a solid state AC relay with DC control (you'll want to use either the +5 or +12V lines coming out of your PSU for the DC control). Just find which relay you can get cheapest (most pumps won't pull that significant amount of current so there shouldn't be a problem of spec'ing the relay to be robust enough); however, it would still be wise to pay attention to how much current they're rated for and what the DC control is rated for. You'll wire a ground and DC (5 or 12V) from your PSU to the relay, then the hot AC line (the black wire if standard US cord, brown if using an international color coded cord) to the relay. Other side is the AC that gets switched on and off to the pump. The posts should be clearly labeled on it. Sorry if you already know all that but redundancy never hurts.
    mrbudgie and phanbuey say thanks.
  6. mrbudgie New Member

Thanks Received:
    is it possible to buy premade pump relays for WC pumps here in the Uk so I dont have to do a wiring if possible.

thanks ian
  7. mrbudgie New Member

Thanks Received:
    thanks for the reply guys, I've managed to sort it now I didnt realise that the relay was mains powered and also connected to one of the internal 4 pin plugs as well lol. Even shocked hell out of one of my fingers by putting it across 2 solder points whilst it was plugged in lols :nutkick: