1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Powerline adapters instead of Wi-Fi in my house?

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by ohmystars80, Oct 14, 2012.

1. ohmystars80 New Member

Thanks Received:
    My problem is that I there is no way to get a wired connection to my upstairs room, since the cable is downstairs only. I was thinking about Wi-Fi, but I am concerned about range and speed, and in the house it seems that Powerline will be faster and more secure. Looks like the 2 Powerline adapters will be about $50, which is a lot less than the $100 for a good 11n router.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Tp-Link...75570165&skuId=4359873&st=powerline&cp=4&lp=5

It seems like Powerline is fast and more reliable then Wireless, and about half the price - am I seeing this right?

If this is the case, why aren’t more people using Powerline in their homes? What are the advantages of Powerline? How about speed and quality?
  2. f22a4bandit

f22a4bandit

Thanks Received:
    I've used powerline for a year and a half now. In my experience, the connection is more stable as you're not having to deal with reception issues, and the transfer rates are a load better. However, it all depends on the wiring in your house. If you have an older home, you're probably going to experience issues on just how far you can place a powerline before it experiences degradation.

I say it's definitely worth a shot to check out for yourself. I actually run both powerline adapters and wireless, but wireless only for mobile devices. As for why more people don't use it, I think it's just an issue of advertising myself.
  3. jgunning

jgunning

Thanks Received:
    I definitly agree with bandit. Give powerline a shot.I used to use wireless at home, with frequent drop outs being on the edge of the range of the router. So i bought a EoP kit and wallah!No drop outs, reliable, fast.Had no troubles at all!So in a place like yours I would give it a go.and for something so cheap you cant really go wrong!

Cheers :toast:
  4. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Yep, definitely give it a shot. I user powerline in a few areas in my house, it gives a much better connection than Wireless for me. I even have a powerline adapter at the desk my laptop sits on, when my laptop is on the desk, it is plugged into the powerline adapter because it gives a better connection than the Wireless N connection.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD