1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Powersupply Atx

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by ryanpaterson, Nov 21, 2012.

1. ryanpaterson New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi, first post here cause i've been wracking my head around this.
    I'm building my own pc again although last time my power supply came with my motherboard so I didn't need to know/care about it.

But i'm buying a Asrock x79 Extreme x79 socket 2011 7.1 channel motherboard
    I emailed them asking if they could tell me what kind of power I need.

I got this back
    "About the PSU:
    With general PSU that got 24(20)-pin ATX power and 8-pin (8+8 or 4pin only) ATX12V connector,
    the system will work."

That's probably very useful, though i'm struggling to understand what different wattage makes, and i'm struggling to rack my head around this 8pin (8+8 or 4pin) is. I use ebuyer for all my gear really. I'm looking for a cheapish one, but i'll be using this system for some very high processing demands, so I would like it to be rather quiet, and reliable.

Help would be great, and if possible even a link to one that would be suitable!
    Thanks for reading if you did!

2. stinger608

stinger608 Dedicated TPU Cruncher & Folder

Thanks Received:
    First off, welcome to TechPowerUp!!!

Now then, your going to want a good quality power supply. With that said, Corsair is a very quality built PSU.

Here is a very good "modular" power supply from Corsair over at NewEgg.

CORSAIR Professional Series HX650 650W ATX12V v2.2...

That power supply will power most systems that are upper mid built.

Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  3. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    List all of the components that you will be placing in the system.

4. ryanpaterson New Member

Thanks Received:
    Just to say cheers for the warm welcome, quick reply and suggestion! i've heard really good things about corsair and that's a pretty decent price! And I am going to go with a modular one, from what i've read recently, especially at my level, a non modular would be a bit of a headache.

This is everything i'm putting in
    Motherboard - Asrock X79 EXTREME9 X79 Socket 2011 7.1 Channel HD...
    Processor - Intel Core i7 3820 3.6GHz Socket 2011 10MB L3 Cach...
    Graphics card - EVGA GT 640 Single Slot 2GB DDR3 Dual DVI Mini HDM...
    Fan - Arctic Cooling Freezer i30 Socket 1155, 1156, 2011...
    Memory (32gigs worth) - Kingston 8GB 2400MHz DDR3 Non-ECC CL11 DIMM (Kit o...
    Case - Fractal Design Node 605 Case | Ebuyer.com

It's been a while since I built a pc, expecially one so demanding. So if i've gone wrong anywhere, or i've proposed something rather, ill advised please do correct me!
    My budget for the pc isn't as big as i'd like, that's why the memory i've chosen is rather cheap. But that's something I can easily upgrade in the future

5. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    600w and upwards should be plenty of wattage and leave room for a "larger" graphics card later down the line. Something like a Corsair TX or HX will supply enough current for that system and i know they are decent, look for the efficiency rating too. If i remember Corsair in the UK make you send your psu to Europe if you need to use the warranty, luckily i bought mine from an e-tailer that deals with returns and that itself.

Depends how much you want to spend really, there's a bunch of other great power supplies.