1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

PowerSupply Question

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by etayorius, Mar 4, 2011.

1. etayorius

etayorius

Thanks Received:
    I have bought a 800w power supply, i have it already installed, last time i had a 500w low profile PS, but now that i installed my new PS i found this "plug" that says something about 12v 2+4 "8 pin", what the hell is that? in my old PS only had 1 of those installed, and i found a little sticker that says "for 8 Pin 12v Power Connector" that is covering one connector of the 4pin for the 12v, my new PS has 2 of the "4pin" 12v, but my last PS only had 1, so should i remove the sticker of the upper 12v power connector and jack BOTH 4pins 12v from the PS? or should i leave it like my old PS that had only 1 of those connected? sorry for the english... and is also kinda hard to explain.

My PS is a Pixxo 800w (Some ubber cheap mexican brand)
    My Motherboard is a M3A790GXH/128M ASRock
    My CPU is AMD PhenomII x4 810

Please help, i dont know if i should use both 4Pin 12v or only one, and dont want my mobo to die or my cpu.

2. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    there is 2 kinds of 8 pin one is for video cards and another is for CPU voltage which some times is 4 pin.

3. scaminatrix

scaminatrix

Thanks Received:
    Upload a photo of your motherboard and your power supply connections; it may be the easiest way to help. Unless the power supply came with an instruction manual.

The Pixxo site is really bad, it tries to take you addresses like this (obvious error in the address):
    http://www.pixxo.com.tw/WebForms/\WebForms\ProductView.aspx?id=255

with a bit of editing of the address, you can find the right stuff.
    The highest wattage PSU I could find on Pixxo's site is 650w :confused:

http://www.pixxo.com.tw/WebForms/ProductView.aspx?id=255

4. etayorius

etayorius

Thanks Received:
    Well i pay 600 pesos for this PS which is arround 40USD, its supposed to be Real wattage and Continous 800w, but to be honest i doubt it, as long as it provides 600W continous i have no problem... anyway i will try to upload a couple pics, but since everything is already installed in the pc i will just take couple pics with the open case.

Oh yeah, IT IS for the CPU... the motherboard manual says something about "12V CPU Power Connector".

Last edited: Mar 4, 2011
  5. scaminatrix

scaminatrix

Thanks Received:
    Ok, just try to make sure you get the connector plugs as clear as possible, and we can label them to the right bits.

The rest is easy now. Enjoy your new power supply!

6. etayorius

etayorius

Thanks Received:
    Ok you may be able to see the cord i am holding which is 4 pin (coulnt get any better pic) and you may also see another cord plug in just below the pink sticker, so the question is should i plug the cord i am holding in the pic into where the sticker is located? i dont know much about the 12v thing, i dont even know if both cords should be connected there.

Attached Files:

7. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    its not even a 500w from looking at it...but thats still just fine for your PC which might pull 300w

8. scaminatrix

scaminatrix

Thanks Received:
    Yep, plug it into where the sticker is located. There's only one way it fits in so should be easy.

etayorius says thanks.
  9. etayorius

etayorius

Thanks Received:
    Well it says 800w in the box and in the PS, maybe that is just Max Wattage? but it does have two PCI-E for "CrossfireX/SLI", the cord i am holding is shown in the box right in the lower left picture of the plugs.

I even already connected both cords (4+4 8Pin) 12v, well... the Mobo didnt die, everything seems normal.

Goin to try to OC the CPU, last time i tried i couldnt get my PhenomII 810 any higher than 3.0 ghz, and saddly i still cant get it higher than 3ghz... will it damage any hardware on the long term?

Last edited: Mar 4, 2011
  10. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&file=print&reid=187

that said it put out 1050w and they blew it up trying to draw well under 800w

11. etayorius

etayorius

Thanks Received:
    Hmm then they are selling 400w PowerSuppliers as 800w? haha... well as long as it last i dont mind, i am still wonder why i cant get to OC my CPU any higher... what are the issues of a bad OC? cause i been having this odd issue of pc suddenly showing color stripes and rebooting, that is when i OC beyond 3ghz, at 3ghz is stable enough but i rather get more juice out of the 810 phenomii.

12. etayorius

etayorius

Thanks Received:
    Oh yes i used to have a different CPU and PS before getting the PhenomII 810 and the "800W" PS, i used to have an AthlonII x2 240 and some 350W PS, and i remember to be able to OC the AthlonII up to 3.5Ghz no problem, then the PS eventually died... got this PS and then got the PhenomII 810 and i just cant seem to get it higher than 3ghz.

I tried raising the vcore to 1.4, HT NB to 1890, Bus speed to 250 and it will boot but eventually it will crash randomly, i might just think its the PS... or the PhenomII 810 not capable to go beyond 3ghz

Attached Files:

13. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    ROFLMAO that PSU says it has a 1044w 12v rail

reason your chip is not clocking the bus very high is because you are running 4 DDR3 dimms that puts extra stress on the IMC and causes the bus to not clock for shit.

etayorius says thanks.
  14. heky

heky

Thanks Received:
    87A on the 12v rail, yeah right. This PSU is a joke. You better save up for something well known, before it takes out your entire rig.

15. etayorius

etayorius

Thanks Received:
    Having both connectors actually made my CPU unstable... will use the PS, it works fine with no OC, so that should do.

16. heky

heky

Thanks Received:
    Nope, not possible. It cant make your cpu unstable becouse it has more power at its disposal. Seriously ditch the Psu as soon as you can or you will regret it.

17. scaminatrix

scaminatrix

Thanks Received:
    Heky's right, that shouldn't happen under any circumstances (well, unless the PSU's faulty)
    Are you sure it wasn't just a bad OC?

heky says thanks.
  18. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    Go back to stock IMMEDIATELY! Stay there until you can GET A BETTER POWER SUPPLY. If you still have the Athlon X2, sell/trade it for a quality 500W.