1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

PowerVR Making a Comeback to PC as Discrete GPGPU, Real-Time Ray-Tracing in 2012

Discussion in 'News' started by btarunr, Jan 24, 2012.

1. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Remember PowerVR GPUs which last saw light when GeForce 3 and Radeon 8500 were around? The company behind it, Imagination Technologies, is working on a discrete PCI-Express GPGPU card for workstations targeting the media industry, which provides real-time ray-tracing acceleration. After its exile from PC graphics, Imagination Technologies worked on and achieved prevalence in embedded GPUs, GPUs embedded into ARM System-on-chips (SoCs), found in smartphones and tablets. This kept its GPU IP and R&D more than afloat.

In 2011, the company acquired Caustic Graphics, a smaller and much newer startup, which was working on dedicated ray-tracing accelerators, and had come up with a working FCPGA chip. Together the company is in the final stages of preparing a product that will bring Imagination Technologies back to the PC, only this time as a GPGPU (such as NVIDIA Tesla and AMD FireStream), and not a display-GPU. The product will be backed by OpenRL Brazil 3.0 SDK. This product will launch some time in 2012.

Source: VR-Zone
    hellrazor and Ikaruga say thanks.
  2. ZoneDymo

ZoneDymo

Thanks Received:
    Love it :p
    Now where is Voodoo's real comeback?

Also just a matter of time before Nvidia absorbs the company ;).
  3. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Meh, rather see a new Kyro. They promised :(
  4. RejZoR

RejZoR

Thanks Received:
    I'd love to see a 3rd successful graphics vendor. I miss days when you could choose between 4 or more vendors.
  5. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I think it's impossibly tough to become a third discrete graphics vendor. NVIDIA, AMD, and Microsoft are too entangled in a cross-licensed IP clusterfuuu for a third discrete GPU vendor to fit anywhere in, even Intel couldn't do it, and the last vendor with considerable amount of discrete GPU IP was VIA with its Chrome GPUs, it couldn't get the price-performance right due to its low volumes, and so it got kicked.
  6. Ferrum Master

Ferrum Master

Thanks Received:
    They have at latest DirectX 11 tech anyway, fastest Ericsson Novathor CPU had it first I think.... I think even PSP Vita has a powerVR... At least i hope they can deliver a GPU that doesn't skyrocket our electricity bill... :toast:

And... there is definitely place in the market! They have all ancient licenses to do so... even Intel uses a powerVR core in its IGPs...

We should wait for Matrox to return also some day from its medical equipment field... it will happen as soon APU reign will gain strong and low and mid-entry end cards will be obsolete... and makers will start making only flagships... it must happen...
  7. quantumchief New Member

Thanks Received:
    Don't wait for Matrox to do the same, the two owners got into a dispute in 2003 and just settled in june 2011. This kind of childish attitude doesn't help a company already struggling on the video card market. You can read the details on translated page (from french):

http://translate.google.com/transla...com/affaires/217-justice/38825-matrox&act=url
  8. Ferrum Master

Ferrum Master

Thanks Received:
    Indeed bunch of silly Canadians...
    hellrazor says thanks.
  9. Hokum

Hokum New Member

Thanks Received:
    The Iphone and Ipad, plus most android phones/tablets have powervr graphics, all the SGX series...
  10. Hokum

Hokum New Member

Thanks Received:
    S3 was bought by HTC... but I think they got rid of it recently.
  11. NC37

NC37

Thanks Received:
    Well Intel couldn't do it because they have no concept of designing for the discrete industry. It moves fast and it was clear from the start that Larrabee wasn't going to happen. Intel paper launched it all over and took their sweet time. Then by the time it came to maybe launching it, the tech was long obsolete.

If PowerVR comes back, then yay! But they gotta have competitive products and a solid roadmap in place for products coming after the initial launch. Last company I remember that tried for the 3rd player spot, released in the midrange segment then never released anything after that. Wasn't bad tech, they just lacked any staying power.
  12. xenocide

xenocide

Thanks Received:
    Capitalism at its finest.
  13. Prima.Vera

Prima.Vera

Thanks Received:
    Oh no! Not another add-on card for gaming...
  14. Bjorn_Of_Iceland

Bjorn_Of_Iceland

Thanks Received:
    they better have good drivers. Since when was the last time they did one for windows? :D
  15. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    PowerVR2 was the graphics backbone of the Sega Dreamcast
  16. hellrazor

hellrazor

Thanks Received:
    Oooo.... ray-traced gaming? Mmmm.... me likes the taste of that pussy.
  17. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    Nice like the sound of new technology