1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Predictions for the future of hardware

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by silkstone, Dec 23, 2008.

1. silkstone

silkstone

Thanks Received:
    Ok the title says it all. Post any predictions you have for future hardware (the next 10+ years)
    Here are a few of mine:

True 3D LCD displays> They will be from 1.5"- 2.5" thick and made up from multiple layers which will be able to flick from transparent to other colours. An illusion of huge depth (instead of just 2.5" depth) would be able to be created by the software by varying the resoloutions at different depths.

Home central PC> Most homes will have only 1 PC. From this everything else will be wirelessly connected, work stations (LCD+Mouse+KB), TV, Hi-Fi and all white goods
    Internet TV Will be a standard and will be controlled from the PC and streamed all over the house.

Super Thin laptops> Laptops will only consist of an LCD display, Small SSD drive, and very low power CPU/GPU.
    They will be able to wirelessly connect to different servers (like Wi-Fi) and utilize the CPU power of the closest server, also most data will be stored on-line or on your home-central PC which can be accessed anywhere any time. (guess that's kinda the idea of cloud computing?
    They will be voice and gesture controlled, with an option of a touch screen keyboard.

Just lying down trying to get to sleep and had ideas floating round in my head last night, a lot of my previous ones have happened already, i wish i had put them down on paper and patented some of the idea :nutkick:

2. DaMulta

DaMulta My stars went supernova

Thanks Received:
    What will be here

Lazer TV which will be really close to real true colors and will look like looking out the window

10 years away

3d TV no glasses They are already doing this ALSO being able to watch two programs at diffeernt angles and neather person would know the differance. ANother thing they are alreay doing.

Super thin laptops?

I think the cell phone will end up the laptop of the future.

I don't know about a true sever being in the house. I think everything will just end up with it's own machine inside it if it needs it. Also all this TV signal at is going to pump out free basic internet in the US. That will change things big time.

One way to know what will be out in ten years is to look at super computers

and super high end commercial products. Like a a 50,000 usd scanner(yes we sell those a lot of them)

Those will be about 200 in 5 years....

3. v-zero Guest

The Dog PC. Like a normal PC, but hairy and stupid.

4. Gam'ster

Gam'ster New Member

Thanks Received:
    :roll::roll::laugh:
    Lmao brilliant ill take one.

5. DaMulta

DaMulta My stars went supernova

Thanks Received:
    They already have those in Japan you can Import one LOL.

6. v-zero Guest

Wait a minute, I'm just working out where this usb mouse should go...

7. silkstone

silkstone

Thanks Received:
    I thought it was cats+mice, not dogs and mice? ;)

Lazer TV is a great idea, would have to have a few very very fast lazers tho, or lots of stationary ones, which would be very expensive + a medium for them to shine on to.

8. DrPepper

DrPepper The Doctor is in the house

Thanks Received:
    More things like the NIA (OCZ Neural Impulse Actuator) It uses movement from muscles on your head as keystrokes but one that uses your brain would be truly awesome unless it causes your brain to BSoD and you become a vegetable.

9. silkstone

silkstone

Thanks Received:
    ...causing the downfall of microsoft after being the subject of multi-billion dollar lawsuits.

10. DonInKansas

DonInKansas

Thanks Received:
    Thereby leading to "This is your brain.....

this is your brain overclocked" commercials.

11. silkstone

silkstone

Thanks Received:
    "Advert courtesy of Intel Systems"

12. mlee49

mlee49

Thanks Received:
    I hope the future of computer hardware will always be to try to fit more stuff in smaller spaces. Thats what we've been doing for the last 40 years and we'll keep trying.
    As far as innovations I would love to see roll out LCD so you can essentially make a TV anywhere that has a flat surface. Imagine being able to simply unroll your LCD screen on your wall of your bed room ceiling , bathroom floor, or possibly even yourself.
    I hope to see more passive or solid state cooling options. General advancements in cooling should be being addressed at any manufacture currently.
    I know OS is not considered a "hardware" but I think OpenSource will break out over the next ten years and really start to cut into M$'s hold on new computers being shipped with Windows. Currently a few companies are starting to offer a build-it-yourself with Ubuntu as an alternative to Windows. Hopefully this will create more push for compatibility for apps and games with Opensource OS's.

13. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    when openGL gets used for games as well as directx, if directx becomes available on linux, if linux has any sort of gaming capabilities

also when things go down in price you know they are tech has changed

sort of like a few years ago a laser printer would be up to £1000 now you can even get cheap laser colour printers

mobile phones in the year 2000 some where just getting colour screens lol

in 5 years i still think we will have similar pcs to what we have now and more phones like the iphone except as powerful as a nettop/netbook

14. silkstone

silkstone

Thanks Received:

Open-source will develop more and more as people become more educated - It will start in the civil sector, although the last place it will really take hold is the US.

I'm thinking about all the developing countries who are only now seeing computer systems being integrated into government and buisiness, a lot of these countries should/will go open-source.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2008
  15. mlee49

mlee49

Thanks Received:
    Alot of them already do. Most of the free laptop aid programs use EEPC's that come with some free OS installed. It's awesome to see that happening.