1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Presenting NextPowerUp

Discussion in 'News' started by btarunr, Nov 21, 2012.

1. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Presenting NextPowerUp, our sister tech-publication in the works, designed with a bigger canvas. TechPowerUp established itself as one of the top PC hardware publications thanks to our pursuit for quality reviews and relentless news delivery. We decided it was time to put these core ideals to use, in addressing the much larger consumer electronics and gadgets markets, without disturbing TechPowerUp's focus on PC enthusiast content, one of its hallmarks.

NextPowerUp is designed to keep you up to speed on the latest in over 20 markets (and growing), each with its own content channel, and editors hand-picked for them. These include Audio (personal, home, professional, concert), Business, Cinema (filming, production, exhibition), Desktops (pre-built desktop PCs), Displays (signage, projectors), Gadgets, Gaming (games, game development, gaming industry, consoles), Internet (the business of WWW), Networking (social networking), Notebooks (notebooks, Ultrabooks, netbooks), Phones (of all shapes and sizes), Photo & Video (cameras of all shapes and sizes), Politics (industry soap-opera), Robots (outside assembly lines), Science (popular science, space exploration), Software, Storage, Tablets, Televisions (TVs and technologies built around them), Transportation (wheels that don't run on fossil fuels), and Wireless (Cellular carriers, commercial WiFi).

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Sounds good? We're looking for talented and motivated people who would like to join us on our journey into the post-PC era. There are various positions open:
    • Writers for news, articles, editorials, and interviews, in any single (or a combination of) channel(s) listed above,
    • Channel Editors who along with writing, can marshal writers and oversee their work in a particular channel of their area of expertise,
    • Web Designers who work with our web developers to incrementally improve the design, usability, and functionality of the site,
    Working for us pays, and can be as materially rewarding as it is intellectually challenging. We are a virtual corporation, and working for us (full-time or part-time) will not require you to move. Interested (and serious) candidates can write to btarunr[at]techpowerup[dot]com with CVs, and answers to the following questionnaire:

1. In less than 270 characters (use a word processor to count), come up with a crisp, catchy, and concise paragraph on any one of the following recent developments: 2. To supplement your CV, informally tell us a bit about yourself (to the extant you're comfortable with, we won't judge you on that). Tell us how you developed a passion for the area(s) of interest you'd like to work with us for.

2. reverze

Thanks Received:
    happy to hear you guys will do it this way, what are the plans for the forum? extra sections or seperat one for next tpu?

3. douglatins

douglatins

Thanks Received:
    One comment on this bombastic news? I would favor a forum refresh over a billboard one. Also a dedicated space only for ads is better, i dont like seeing them all over the place.
    Also make the next name only on beta, after the change get back to the beta, people wont change tpu to npu.
    "Hey come see my thread at NPU" - Will say no one ever

4. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    You can say that again. :laugh:

5. L'Eliminateur

L'Eliminateur

Thanks Received:
    i'm more interesting in networking as in SOHO/enterprise networking gear (dist switches, TOR switches, MOR switches, stacking, modular switches, gigE with expansion) as it's a subject rarely touched/reviewed at all with a lot of obscurity (for example, why does a Cisco SR5xx small business switch is more expensive -in a 10GBE full stack- than a Dell PC6224 high-end modular switch?, or the advent of HDMI as stacking).,
    With reviews focusing on software usability, performance, concurrent performance over the stack ports, failover capabilities, etc.

Ont he other hand it seems like NPU will be more of a news-aggregator-digester than a site with actual reviews done(like TPU own reviews)

6. btarunr

Thanks Received:
    Relentless news delivery.

7. btarunr

Thanks Received:
    Currently, we don't have plans for a forum. There's a Disqus thread for every piece of content imaginable.

While we can summon a truck load of graphics cards with a simple e-mail, we have to build such relations with, say, Canon, Nike, and Vizio. Likewise, we have to build review methodologies from scratch. For that, we need people who have found their niche with specific channels, to begin with. So we're starting off as a news site, and then expand into reviews.

There's always room for expansion, the channels we listed don't define our boundaries.

L'Eliminateur says thanks.
  8. radrok

radrok

Thanks Received:
    Deliver news relentlessly :toast:

9. Dj-ElectriC

Dj-ElectriC

Thanks Received:
    About damn time :D
    Good luck!!!

10. AthlonX2

AthlonX2 HyperVtXâ„¢

Thanks Received:
    will you be adding this content to your RSS feed?

11. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    TPU and NPU will be separate entities.

NPU has its own RSS feed.

We will add a compact box on the TPU frontpage "More tech news by NextPowerUp: ", most probably nearby the currently visible Noctua contest button

t77snapshot and AthlonX2 say thanks.
  12. WhiteLotus

WhiteLotus

Thanks Received:
    Could you not use NPU to eventually swallow up TPU?

13. Hilux SSRG

Hilux SSRG

Thanks Received:
    Well this looks great. I was wondering where I was going to get my tech news after engadget's recent poor website redesign. Thanks TPU

14. hhumas

Thanks Received:
    its cool ... i love android

15. W1zzard

Thanks Received:
    i dont see that happening. the target audiences are vastly different. that's why we decided to make a separate site in the first place.

this doesnt mean we've given up on tpu. tpu is our core business and won't be neglected in any way

16. LTUGamer

LTUGamer

Thanks Received:
    For housewife which are thinking that are advanced in technologies :D

17. Shihabyooo

Shihabyooo

Thanks Received:
    Awesome job! And a catchy name.
    A light lime-greenish background would fit nicely with the site.

I still prefer how news show up on TPU, easier to tell apart, but I think the way individual articles are displayed is slightly better on NPU. Small comments would work nicely on NPU, but I think heavy long discussion are better on TPU's forums.

18. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Good, now funnel all those shitty "xxx announces 1080p monitor" news to NPU so that TPU can appear smarter :)

Good luck on NPU, there will be strong competition from Engadget et al.

19. D3luSi0n4L New Member

Thanks Received:
    Do you really only want 270 characters or do you mean words?

Thanks.

20. W1zzard

Thanks Received:
    characters. we just want to see your language skills and how you can summarize existing content

21. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Twitterspeak not welcome I suppose? :laugh:

22. Completely Bonkers New Member

Thanks Received:
    Good luck with the new venture! Sounds very promising.

23. Crap Daddy

Crap Daddy

Thanks Received:
    Wonder why there are so few messages here for such great new stuff coming our way. Maybe everybody is trying to turn those 270 characters into words.

24. Novulux

Thanks Received:
    Unfortunately, I have little to nothing for a CV. :D Writing a summary of one of those would still be a nice exercise for myself.

25. W1zzard

Thanks Received:
    We are not crazy about your CV. If you have nothing to show, let us know, and impress with your writing.