1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Presenting the All New TechPowerUp

Discussion in 'News' started by btarunr, May 4, 2013.

1. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    I like everything except that it doesn't take up the entire screen. 50% of the space is completely wasted with grey bars.
    Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  2. gvblake22

gvblake22

Thanks Received:
    I like it simple without the smileys and avatars. Great job on the redesign. Loves me some responsive web action!
  3. Maban

Maban

Thanks Received:
    The ~200 pixels of nothingness on each side is just plain stupid.
    Last edited: May 4, 2013
    newtekie1 says thanks.
  4. wiak

wiak

Thanks Received:
    would be nice if the fonts was changed to something thats better to read
    lemonadesoda says thanks.
  5. Maban

Maban

Thanks Received:
    Row highlighting in the CPU/GPU DB like on the first page of GPU reviews would be nice.
  6. lemonadesoda

lemonadesoda

Thanks Received:
    New style doesnt work for me.

1./ Main noticeable change is the narrow font... but not a good one. There are better. (Or it just doesnt render well at the chosen font size)
    2./ It lets you put "more" on the line... but doesnt change the quality of what is written. The reverse in fact. It allows lazy verbose journalism.
    3./ Keep the other changes by all means, but fix the fonts. In its current state, the net net is negative.
  7. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    I HATE the fact that links I've been to aren't RED, maybe that's an IE thing?

I love the spell check feature!!! New look is good, but kinda soft and fluffy like a pokemon.
  8. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    The not highlighting links thing is taking over the web, I guess for appearances. Look at TR and Anandtech. What spell check are you talking about?
  9. bmaverick

bmaverick

Thanks Received:
    Love the new format. It's easy to get real news and the scoop on things. I'll be popping over there more often now. :)
  10. D007

D007

Thanks Received:
    Someone needs to update Wiz's Avatar for him..lol.. I know we have some talented artists around here, who could make that avatar get a modern flare to it. :pimp:

Great job on the update btw.. 07

Bit on the overly critical side, in a rude way there..
    How about you make a whole new format for the forums and make it less stupid?
    Then we can see how great people think your design is..

"Constructive" criticism is nice..
  11. Depth

Thanks Received:
    The bottom of the newest comment page doesn't have the gigantic "add your own comment" button.

I'm sure I'd leave a lot of comments if it did, seeing as how alluring it is to click something that is 50+ times the size of my mouse cursor.
  12. Hilux SSRG

Hilux SSRG

Thanks Received:
    Like the daily review section layout. Nice touch on greying out the source.
  13. buggalugs

buggalugs

Thanks Received:
    I like it!! I'm so happy the popup links are gone. I hated them. I hope they're not coming back.

Only thing I would suggest, put the pictures next to the story(left or right) instead of underneath. It looks more tidy on the side, like how they do it on the anandtech site.

And maybe move the "Todays Reviews" into a feed on the side, in place of the forum posts, move the forum posts down. Same with the nextpowerup section, move it to a feed on the side.

When you click the home page, you need to scroll down to see news. It would be better to see the best /latest story of the day on the home page without scrolling.
    Last edited: May 5, 2013
  14. Maban

Maban

Thanks Received:
    Don't see how it's overly critical. I did come off rather rude though I suppose. Either way, the width of the page as it is is still much better than a lot of sites, but "already better than others" isn't really a good stopping point.
  15. Steven B

Thanks Received:
    I actually am getting used to it and i wanted to say you did a good job!
  16. chaotic_uk New Member

Thanks Received:
    I don't like it tbh although it does look cleaner . it reminds me of hexus to much :shadedshu (sorry)
  17. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Especially when the old site filled the entire screen already and gave you the option to shrink the site to a narrower size if you prefer, this is a step backwards.
    Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  18. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    The new look is nice, but I think the characters used in the black strip at the top and in the article titles would be easier to read if they had a 1:1 aspect ratio, rather than look tall in a condensed font.

Also, the web page should be able to be stretched across the whole width of a 1920 pixel wide monitor if the user wants it.

What's the logic in restricting this?
  19. SK-1

SK-1

Thanks Received:
    So far so good...
  20. radusorin

radusorin

Thanks Received:
    Pretty much this. If the comment link is a no then could you please add a forum link/button next to every article or some sort of way to get there fast from the article. If you manage this then every thing is perfect for me at list. Liking the rest.
  21. BiggieShady

BiggieShady

Thanks Received:
    These were mentioned couple of times before. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but as I gathered this is intentional behavior. Not linking directly to forum thread for news posts is for better google rating, and visited links not being colored differently is for the looks.
  22. ste2425

ste2425

Thanks Received:
    I like it quite allot but the text is very painful, think ill be skipping straight to the forum because i cant last half a page without my eyes feeling tired. It's a shame because it does look nice.
    qubit says thanks.
  23. radusorin

radusorin

Thanks Received:
    I'm referring only to the comments(xx) link. The normal post link can stay as it is. This is for me the biggest inconvenience. Don't really mind if the site remembers the visited link and i can even do whit the font. I just want the comment link to redirect me to forum comments (maybe only for log in members, if it helps, or any mechanics, don't really care as long as it takes me to the forum thread).
    qubit says thanks.
  24. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    +1 This switch is likely trivial to implement.
  25. lemonadesoda

lemonadesoda

Thanks Received:
    The new font choices are a step backwards IMO. And an example of bad consumer choices over quality. Why? The font selection is designed to maximise the amount of text on a consumer TFT which is 1080 and 27". The font might be readable on a grossed up display. But for those with hi-pixel density, this particular font does not play well with cleartype or with font scaling (120 dpi fonts). Going back would be a step in the right direction. However, if TPU is no longer enthusiast, but consumerist, then I guess it fits TPU's new target market! :shadedshu