1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Price vs Performance...am I spending too much?

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by Staxed, Jan 14, 2014.

1. Staxed

Thanks Received:
    So...I have a bad habit of going with the best things that I can find...which turns a new PC build into a $2500 shopping cart. While I can afford this, I was wondering if anyone would be willing to check out my wishlist and see if I can save some money by switching things out with cheaper alternatives...while still being able to game at maximum performance.

I intend to use this rig for multitasking, gaming (on very high/ultra detail), video creation/editing, recording, streaming and some virtual pcs (hence the 32gb of RAM)

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=24855086

---------

And a few questions:

1. Recommendations on a wireless card?
    2. If I'm planning on using SSHDs for storage, is there much of a benefit to using a normal SSD for the OS drive, or should I just get all SSHDs and put them in RAID?
    3. If I go the RAID route for the storage disks...is it simple to partition a RAID array? I'm going to want at least 5 different partitions for video recording, virtual PCS, etc.
  2. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    That is a huge price on that build but some of the big ticket items are the monitor and win8.1 copy. out of all this I can see you changing out the motherboard for a lower priced one that can do just as good as that asus.
    Staxed says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Banstick Dummy

Thanks Received:
    Not a fan of the PSU.
  4. Staxed

Thanks Received:
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2014
  5. ZetZet

ZetZet

Thanks Received:
    Don't use SSHD for secondary drive. Better just get WD Red for reliabilty. Also you should aim for 550-600w psu with that setup and less expensive motherboard.
    HD64G says thanks.
  6. TheMailMan78

Thanks Received:
    Staxed says thanks.
  7. Blue-Knight

Blue-Knight

Thanks Received:
    If you want performance then your pocket must be deep. So, no.

You never spend too much when you want performance. Performance costs a lot and it's hard ($) to maintain.
    Staxed says thanks.
  8. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    Just remember to price check those parts on amazon before ordering. For instance they have the cpu for less quite frequently.
    Staxed says thanks.
  9. TheMailMan78

Thanks Received:
    You see the rig in my specs? Its a lot faster than what you have built there for 2500 bucks. Shop around man. Look for used and such.
  10. Staxed

Thanks Received:
    thank you, I've switched that out. Still curious to know "why" you aren't fond of the other one though.

I'm going to stick with a higer watt PSU for expandability in the future, as I will most likely be adding more drives.

As to not using SSHD, most of the research I've done doesn't really show bad reliability with the samsung SSHDs. The OS SSD is only going to contain the OS, all games/programs will be installed onto the SSHD, as well as being used for video recording, so the higher read/write speed is important to me.

And you are the second person to mention the motherboard, again...would love for people to actually include reasons with their suggestions :). I picked that Mobo because I'm used to Asus, love them, and from the reviews I've read, it's a bit better at overclocking than the cheaper versions (which is something I'm intending to do eventually)

I already have, I just figured it would be easier for the thread to leave the wishlist in one place. Saving about $80 through amazon for a few items.

Well, I'm not seeking cutting edge, always top of the line performance...there is certainly a point on the $ to performance graph where the cost per performance point starts to make little sense (to me at least). Though, I'm leaning more towards what you say here....as I don't think I'm super close to that point yet.
  11. Vario

Vario

Thanks Received:
    There's cheaper 770's out there, its just a 680 anyway so you could check prices on those too.

That Asus mobo is super overpriced, avoid RoG unless you like wasting money. Haswell mobo's don't really make a difference on overclocking, the VRM is on the die and everything has fancy digital power phase designs anyway.
    GreiverBlade and Staxed say thanks.
  12. Staxed

Thanks Received:
    I'll have to do a bit more research on Mobo's I guess :), thanks for the advice on that from everyone.

As to the used comment above, that's one area I'd rather spend a little more on new and have peace of mind.
  13. Durvelle27

Durvelle27

Thanks Received:
    You can do much better bud for the price

Go for a GTX 780 instead of a 770

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125471

AS5 isn't need or that cooler a cooler master hyper 212+ EVO would be plenty

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103099

1866MHz RAM also isn't needed or 32GB. 16GB should be fine

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231609

A SSDHD isn't needed as its just a waste of money for only storage get a regular 2TB HDD instead

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148834

Power supply isn't worth the premium as their are plenty of others that are great quality and cheaper

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139005

You also go for a cheaper board as the Hero isn't worth the premium

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157371
    Vario says thanks.
  14. TheMailMan78

Thanks Received:
    You want a well made PSU. Jap caps ect. Seasonic are some of the best on the market with the lowest power ripple. Now some ripple makes no difference as components are designed to accept it in moderation. However if you start overclocking and getting in deep to the hardware's abilities ripple can have a more dramatic effect. Plus high ripple power supplies degrade hardware faster depending on the over all quality of them all. I also recommend getting a APC.

The PSU is the heart of your rig. Pay close attention to what you get. All that other stuff is no good if its blown by a crappy PSU. Savvy?
    MxPhenom 216 and Staxed say thanks.
  15. M0rt

Thanks Received:
    Lose the PNY 770. 1 year warranty; every other manufacturer offers 3. I'd go with Gigabyte, personal preference.

Unless you're gonna add a second 770 in the future, you only need a 550w PSU and you'll still be able to add all the drives you want. You can save $10-15 here while getting a semi-modular unit. The SeaSonic G is my default advice at that wattage, but see what's on sale.
    Staxed says thanks.
  16. thebluebumblebee

thebluebumblebee

Thanks Received:
    $400 for a mid-range card is crazy, IMHO. (the GK104 is Nvidia's mid-range part) Step up to the GTX 780. (IMHO, the 780 Ti should be the 780, the 780 => 770, the 770 =>760(maybe Ti), the 760 =>750)
    You have missed MIR deals on Seasonic Gold and Platinum PSU's. I don't know if they'll be back anytime soon. (I'm getting the SS-660XP2 for $90 after MIR!)
    According to a review at NE, that CPU cooler (awesome cooler BTW) will be too tall in that case with the side panel fan installed. (sorry, I think that's stupid, that a FULL tower case can't handle a CPU cooler > 114mm)
    You are real close to building a very quiet PC. Maybe a Refine R4 or a Nanoxia case? Maybe w1zzard's favorite GPU?
    I'd buy a 256(class) GB SSD if I were in your shoes.
    This I'm not sure about: Why use SSHD's for storage? Why pay extra?

Edit: Sorry, I didn't refresh to see what others had posted:oops:
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2014
    Staxed says thanks.
    More than 25k PPD
  17. Staxed

Thanks Received:
    @Durv, I guess you missed my earlier post with a few of my reasonings :). 32GB is needed, as I will be using some virtual machines expensively. SSHD is needed for the same reason, some of these vpcs will be on the storage drives so would like better speeds.

@theblue, I don't really need a 256, as all it will be used for is the operating system, programs are going to be loaded on the SSHDs most likely (simply because even a 256 wouldn't hold all the programs, so I might as well just put them all on the SSHDs). As stated a second ago, the SSHD is mainly because I'll be running quite a few virtual pcs on this machine as well and would like the increased speed for that purpose.

And for the advice on the GPU...I didn't know the 770 was a midrange card...had pretty awesome reviews and is a 4gb card. I'll look into the 780. (and I do intend to possibly get a second card later on down the line, which is the reason for the higher wattage PSU)
  18. Chetkigaming

Chetkigaming

Thanks Received:
    GTX 770 is pretty nice but the price you linked is equal to 780 )
  19. Durvelle27

Durvelle27

Thanks Received:
    Yes i saw your earlier post. If you want 32GB go for it but 1866MHz is not needed at all. a Western Digital Black would no noticeable difference in speeds the that SSHD but it like 3 times cheaper
  20. M0rt

Thanks Received:
    OP, why the touch screen? I suspect the novelty will wear off quicker than the finger smudges and the 1 year parts warranty. Give the Dell U2412M a look.

Gents, double-check the actual prices prior to commenting because the Newegg list does not display them accurately. The PNY 770 is $370 after rebate and the SSHD is $130.
  21. thebluebumblebee

thebluebumblebee

Thanks Received:
    The GTX 770 is a very capable card, I just think they're overpriced for what you are actually getting. The new Camaro Z28 is an incredible car, but it's still not a Corvette.
    Staxed says thanks.
    More than 25k PPD
  22. Vario

Vario

Thanks Received:
    Yep its worth more around $300 for what it is.
    Chetkigaming says thanks.
  23. M0rt

Thanks Received:
    OP, noticed you replaced the Rosewill PSU with the Seasonic 760 in your list.

This Corsair is the same unit and it's $15 cheaper. But, if you have some patience, you'll be able to save another $20 because it goes on sale frequently.

That said, this XFX (another Seasonic OEM) is the best bang for the buck, but it's sold out for the time being.
    Staxed says thanks.
  24. Chetkigaming

Chetkigaming

Thanks Received:
    Yes 350$ for 770 is a good pirce.
  25. Staxed

Thanks Received:
    WD Black is $25 more...

SSHD - $125
    WD Black - $150

Thanks, yeah I'm planning on beginning the build in early March, so hopefully a few things will go on sale between now and then.

And about your touchscreen comment, it is actually purely for novelty purposes for my children (it's better to blame it on the kids right?...:)). I already have 2 other monitors I can use.