1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Pricing, Availability and More Details Trickle in for the Upcoming HP Firebird

Discussion in 'News' started by alexp999, Jan 1, 2009.

1. alexp999

alexp999 Staff

Thanks Received:
    Following the initial information and shots which we covered here, PCWorld has got further information on availability and pricing, whilst also discussing the new system with Rahul Sood, Chief Technology Officer for HP's Global Gaming Business. Sood mentioned that, "... the new systems use compact, power-sipping components usually found in notebook PCs, providing a reduced footprint and maximum energy usage -- 350 watts, or one-fifth the energy used by an average high-performance desktop PC... By pulling the power supply out of the case, the Firebird systems can get away with "way quieter" fans than other high-performance PCs... The high-performance PC space seems to have gone out of control when power supplies exceed 1.6 or 2 kilowatts, drawing more than the wall can handle, and people have 3-4 video cards and spend $5,000 to 6,000 on a machine just to play a videogame."
    The HP Firebird, is said to start at $1,799 (excluding monitor) and will be available at voodoopc.com from January 9th, and at yet to be announced retail stores sometime in February.

Source: PCWorld
    crazy pyro says thanks.
  2. crazy pyro

crazy pyro New Member

Thanks Received:
    What the hell are the on about with 350W being a fifth of a high performance PC's power consumption?
    Also surely if it's using laptop components it's going to be more expensive but perform worse?
  3. Paulieg

Paulieg The Mad Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    These kinds of news stories should be brought to the attention of News staff, and posted by them. Thanks!
  4. crazy pyro

crazy pyro New Member

Thanks Received:
    You can't open a new thread in the news section if you're not staff correct?
    This just seems like a silly idea though ( I mean the system)
  5. alexp999

alexp999 Staff

Thanks Received:
    I am news staff, dont worry. :)
    And your right crazy pro, you have to have newsie privelages to post on the front page/news section, which W1zzard gave me last August.

:toast:
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2009
  6. KBD New Member

Thanks Received:
    thats way too much money for the rig posted in the other article. For 1,800 i can build a corei7 rig with like 3 4870 in xfire. But 350W may not be enough for a system like that especially if the BIOS allows CPU overclocking.