1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Prime95 Problem

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by OrbitzXT, Dec 4, 2007.

1. OrbitzXT

OrbitzXT New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm not exactly experiencing any problems per say...but I think something might be wrong. One core is about 6-7 C warmer than the other, neither ever gets over 50C but I think thats still a little strange. I took off the Zalman 9700, cleaned off the AS5 and redid it, after some testing it is still giving me the same readings. The one core isn't always 6-7 warmer, in fact most of the time they're more or less the same. But while under fullload one will occasionally spike 6-7 warmer than the other.

Now if that was the only issue, I'd ignore it and think maybe the sensor is just messed up, or the software wasn't giving an accurate reading. But this is when it got a little weird. I've been running Prime95 regularly while overclocking this E6420 to find the minimum stable voltage. I don't know if this is normal or not, but Worker thread #1 is always finishing it's test well ahead of Worker thread #2. Every other processor I've owned usually finishes pretty close at the same time. In fact I'm running it right now And thread 1 is on test 8 while thread 2 is on test 5. I've ran it for about 18 hours with no errors or warnings.

Right now they're the same temperature, but as I said occasionally one will spike ahead in temperature. I was wondering if something was going on here. At first I was guessing maybe one core was getting more voltage than the other, maybe one is undervolted and is resulting in the slightly slower Prime95 testing and temperature difference? Everything seems stable though, I honestly don't know if there is even a problem. I just found it odd and wanted to see what you guys thought.

2. Namslas90 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thats normal,,,a few degrees difference is because the primary core always does more work then secondary.

:toast: