1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Primochill Dye Bomb (FAIL)

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Sasqui, Jan 9, 2013.

1. radrok

radrok

Thanks Received:
    I honestly don't know if it is about galvanic corrosion or flaking but Koolance themselves told me not to use silver with nickel :|

They don't even give you warranty if you state the use of silver + nickel.
  2. MT Alex

MT Alex

Thanks Received:
    Probably has to do more with their nickel plating process, think EK, than anything. I've never used any Koolance products, but always use a kill coil, hell sometimes I put a few ounces of ionic silver solution in the loop, too.
  3. fullinfusion

fullinfusion 1.21 Gigawatts

Thanks Received:
    Dave it was ah honest question. Why is distilled bad for a loop!

You replied of the PH and said go ahead add acid to your loop right?

I said I add AKA baking soda to combat the acidity of the water and then you call me an asshat? its an additive and know where did I even ask about an additive.

I didn't think I was being disrespectful at all and If I came across that way I'm sorry.

you feel like talking Id gladly give you my phone number... I never came here to argue, I came here to learn.
  4. HammerON

HammerON The Watchful Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Let's try to keep it civil and not resort to name calling. Please:)
    sneekypeet says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  5. ChaoticG8R

Thanks Received:
    I was referring to the OP, which believe it or not, is not you. You are not the center of this thread, and most comments are not directed to you.

Thanks.
    fullinfusion says thanks.
  6. fullinfusion

fullinfusion 1.21 Gigawatts

Thanks Received:
    deleted. I thought you directed towards me... :respect:
  7. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    Dave was saying that distilled water will etch metals due to its Ph, and the fact that water ionizes itself and CO2 will make it acidic in trace amounts........

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydronium

A non-salting buffer is needed, like the additives found in coolant, plus the glycol is a lubricant, the molybdenum compounds that make my coolant blue also coat the copper and other metal surfaces and protect them from oxidation.
    radrok and cadaveca say thanks.
    10 Million points folded for TPU
  8. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Would it not help to boil the white vinegar ?, Like the way you can use to clean limescale from kettles and such and leave it 5-12 hours.

Just curious.
  9. radrok

radrok

Thanks Received:
    Thank you sir, much appreciated info :toast:
  10. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    Dexcool is also an ethylene glycol product but is red. Been using that for a while in case anyone wonders lain specs all of its pumps to run glycol mixes.
  11. OneMoar

OneMoar

Thanks Received:
    I used to use Miralax/and a 1/2TSP of baking soda in my distilled water back in 2008 never had a issue used to check it with a ph strip once a month iirc it hovered around 7.3
    as for cleaning the crap out ACETONE(nail-polish remover will work )
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2013
  12. Krazy Owl

Krazy Owl New Member

Thanks Received:
    Fuck the detergent just use car brakes cleaner. It spray the shit out of it. Kill bacterias and remove everything at same time.
  13. OneMoar

OneMoar

Thanks Received:
    also murders plastic and rubber ... and silicone
    brandonwh64 says thanks.
  14. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    PICS - the not so good, the bad and the ugly

Here's an overview of the pump and rad in the case. Notice green deposits in the bottom of the resevoir:

[​IMG]

Look at the pump barbs - a better look at the crap I'm trying to deal with:

[​IMG]

Inside of the pump (the ugly). I suspect pump capacity is diminished a little, the film is thin on the impeller, but would cause friction on the moving water boundary layer none the less:

[​IMG]
    cadaveca says thanks.
  15. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    Thats what I said too! Most of these types of cleaners use acetone and other solvents which will kill plastics and oily based products.

Crunching for Team TPU
  16. Norton

Norton WCG-TPU Team Captain

Thanks Received:
    Here's a few tips (from my water treatment background):

Low pH (acid) flushing- removes mineral deposits. Acidic solutions will draw up the mineral deposits into the liquid solution (caution- can also dissolve the plating/metal parts in the loop)

High pH (base/caustic) flushing- removes organic deposits- same caution as above)

Detergent flushing- contains surfactants and polymers/copolymers can lift deposits from the loop

The milder the solution the better- some of these compounds are very strong... pay attention to recommended dilutions, etc....

*** EDIT- Quick test- if the deposits are on the tubing:
    - cut 3 small lengths of tubing
    - soak one in diluted vinegar solution, one in a diluted bleach solution, and one in diluted detergent (Tide or Palmolive)
    - the one that works best is the one that you use ;)
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  17. OneMoar

OneMoar

Thanks Received:
    acetone is ok so long as its a low strength such as nailpolish remover
    I just acetone nail-polish remover to remove thermal paste even on bare pcb it evaporates so fast that it never causes any real harm
    that rest of that list :EKK: ...
    the only way to kill a toon ..
    acetone benzine turpentine
    Judge Doom Dips a Shoe - YouTube
  18. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    I was looking at CLR (Calcium Lime Rust remover), the label states not to use on Copper/Aluminum or Galvanized surfaces. I was also looking at Prestone radiator flush, which has a slightly acidic compound in it.

The biggest concern right now is the radiator. If it's got that same scale in it, the heat transfer must be diminished. I'm assuming it's made of aluminum?
  19. OneMoar

OneMoar

Thanks Received:
    clr/rad flush will destroy the following
    1. pump
    2.the tubing
    3. the block
    4. the rad
    flush it with the following a mix of 1/2 cup Rubbing alcohol and 1/4 cup of acetone(nailpolish remover) and 1 cup of HOT water and if that doesn't work run strait nailpolish remover though it for about a 1m and then quickly flush with water please don't use non-organic solvents it will wreak your shit
  20. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    In the past, there's been guys confronted with this problem who ran vinegar through their rad to remove it, and it worked, however, a few found that if left too long, it'll eat away at the solder in the rad, and affecting the integrity of the rad.

I cannot remember how long that was, but I do remember that it was shortly after that things like running a filter in the loop to catch this stuff before commissioning the rig started to be far more common.

So, anyway, any time you set up a new loop, this is going to happen, and now that this stuff is coating your entire loop, it will continue to be a problem until is completely removed. Hence a filter on setup.

Personally, I'd be buying a whole new loop, installing a filter, and running it for a month or two until all the chemicals are leached out of the tubing. Then, I'd be running distilled that would be pH balanced, or treated to deal with that potential issue.

Then I'd be carefully taking apart all the blocks and such, cleaning, and then selling.

This is why I don't run anything other than AIO water coolers. If you follow popular opinion, things like this are ALWAYS a problem, and everyone's got different way to deal with it, since there truly is not real way to prevent it. Moving water creates ions, even more so since we add heat to it, and you can't just move electrons from one place to the next without them affecting everything along the way.
  21. OneMoar

OneMoar

Thanks Received:
    its not a problem its just a nature of water cooling people that dump shit in there loops are the ones that have the most issues
    if you wanna test for electrolysis heres how
    attach the - of your test meter to the ground on the psu either 5v or 3v put the + side in to the coolant but don't touch anything else if you have any voltage there then you have a grounding issue in the system and need to either ground the coolant or rad to a negative return on the psu you should ground ANY system even if you don't have problem to give the free ions someplace to go
  22. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    If you ignore popular opinion and run a mix of vehicle antifreeze similar to what is found in an AIO cooler most of those problems are gone. Having run the loop in my RF case for upwards of 2 years without even looking at the water beyond what could be seen in the res which was still clean and full. That is something I have never heard of or seen a distilled water setup do. When the loop was torn down there was minor build up on the tubing, but the block was clean as were the radiators and pumps. The dye from the coolant did not dye any parts like is common with PC coolants and the liquid itself was completely reusable.

To this day 25% coolant mixed with filtered water is all I have ever run without issue. I have PT nuke and have tried silver coils always led to a short service interval. Not worth it IMO. Cleaning blocks and pumps sucks I will stick to the long life coolants such as dexcool.
    cadaveca says thanks.
  23. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    The hell with it. Even though the cooling capacity of the rad may be dimished, the block is clean, the pump works and I'll just run it the way it is.

Perhaps next year, I'll dive into a new case and replace everything. I have a spare non-vario version of the 655 pump, and I run the vario at full speed 24/7 anyway so that's taken care of, just need tubing, fittings, radiator and an upgraded block.
  24. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    You could try the filter idea, under the premise that if that stuff got deposited by the water, it'll also be removed, and with the right filter, you'd be able to remove and clean it all, just by running the loop.

What should happen, is that whatever is in the rad or whatever else isn't cleaned, will then get spread out elsewhere again, just thinner than it is now.

And yeah, myself, I'd not worry about it. But if you truly want to deal with it "properly" a lot of work is at hand. :roll:
  25. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    I'm still pissed at Primochill, what a POS product. 3 or 4 years ago, I knew it was shit but never imagined it'd cause such a mess this far down the line.

Once I get my 3570K under the block, I'll report my findings :)