1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Pro-ATI Atitude Biased?

Discussion in 'General Nonsense' started by Weer, Jun 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Weer New Member

Thanks Received:
    I've been thinking lately, about how everyone seems to turn into an AMD-ATI fanboy when they think that said company will come out with a new line of graphics cards.

But, I did not think it went as far as reviews being biased as well.
    This is a quote from TweakTown.com, regarding the GTX 280:

"The thing is, the GTX 280 is a good card in the sense of what it’s capable of. Such technology as CUDA and PhysX are great inclusions. But I’m a gamer; I want FPS! - I can’t sum it up better than that, and the GTX 280 really didn’t deliver in that department."

Personally, I don't understand why - but maybe that's because I understand the reason why every card they have created, ever since the R600 has been inferior. This is because of the Super Scalar architecture, and it's vast inferiority to the Scalar architecture used by nVidia ever since the G80.

The only reason I see to buy a card more powerful than the 9800 GX2 or simply 9800 GTX SLi, would be to play Crysis, because Crysis is the only game that the GX2 can't max out, and I doubt that any game will be as difficult to run as Crysis currently is, for at least a year.

So, since Crysis seems to hate Super Scalar architectures, all ATI cards fail to run Crysis, and continue to do so. In which case, I see absolutely no reason to buy any card from their new selection.

So, what do you think? ;)

2. OzzmanFloyd120

OzzmanFloyd120

Thanks Received:
    I think that it's just more pronounced more because nVidia has been giving the boots to ATi for so long.
    It's kinda like a revolt... the ATi fanboys have been wating and lurking in the shadows for the day to come where they would have a GPU superior to nVidia, now that they think they have it they're not going to shut up until it's proven otherwise.

3. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    Dont Forget the Nvidia Fanboys Constantly Boast. I on the other hand dont slam people for their views as there is no point, Those people who slam 1 company or the other is just dumb.

4. OzzmanFloyd120

OzzmanFloyd120

Thanks Received:
    Agreed 100%
    My last post seemed kinda biased in retrospect, but it was meant to be an honest outside view.

5. Katanai

Katanai

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, I don't get it either. It's like they are blinded by those red things. So yeah 2 graphics cards from ATI are better than one from Nvidia but only in some games. And they are shouting and screaming like there is no tomorrow. I mean WTF? What they fail to realise is that a 4850 has only 60% of the power of a 280. That's why you need 2 of them. And yeah, so what if they are cheaper? You can buy a dual socket Phenom system for the same price as an Intel Extreme CPU. Does that mean that AMD chips perform better or what? People! You can buy 20 cars for the price of a Lamborghini Murcielago. Does that mean that Lamborghini cars are weak or what???

6. CrAsHnBuRnXp

CrAsHnBuRnXp

Thanks Received:
    More so ignorant, but I agree. :)

7. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    does anyone still play crysis? if yes, maybe you need to work on your gaming skills

8. jamupnorth

jamupnorth New Member

Thanks Received:
    I personally like the cards from both company's ! it,s just swings & roundabouts..

we should be grateful that we have 2 company's competing so we the consumer have a better choice!

or is it a big conspiracy from the big 2 ?

9. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:
    :roll: :roll:

sig qoute, right there! :toast:

10. farlex85

farlex85 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I think price/performance is the biggest thing. Nvidia has been charging quite a bit for their top cards, and people want to see them knocked down a peg so we can enjoy their products at reasonable prices. That's my reason anyway for hoping ati's new line outdoes nvidias.

11. OzzmanFloyd120

OzzmanFloyd120

Thanks Received:
    Agreed $600 is a bit pricey for the GTX280.

12. Weer New Member

Thanks Received:
    I do agree with you there - I have beaten the Delta difficulty twice already.

But the gameplay can't be beat, and of course the graphics.. I mean wow..

13. From_Nowhere New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, think of Crysis as a pretty, but uninteresting woman. Fun to "play" with once, but nothing you want to keep coming back to.

BTW: Crysis is a "The Way It's Meant to be Played," game, meaning that it runs better on Nvidia cards, rather than ATI's. So it's better to use compare the companies cards with more than just Crysis

14. Weer New Member

Thanks Received:
    My point exactly. I'm glad it's been realized here.
    And, don't forget that those 20 cars.. can't run Crysis.

15. Weer New Member

Thanks Received:
    I disagree with you there, completely. It's not difficult, but it's the most interesting game I've played. Maybe you people should start playing it on High :cool:

16. mullered07

mullered07 New Member

Thanks Received:
    sorry only in some games? it was most games the last time i read all the benchmarks circulating the interweb, and yes 2 are faster than 1 nvidia card so what? well them 2 also are cheaper than the one nvidia in question so price/performance goes to ati wheres the problem?

btw whats with the dual phenom/Intel extreme comparison about? dual socket systems dont work in the same way as sli or x-fire so trying to compare them is pointless, if a system could utilise the cores of a cpu in the same way as xfir or sli then yes a dual phenom setup would probably offer more performance than an intel extreme system

all i see is what looks like the opposite of what this thread is about, nvidia fanboys feeling a little overwhelmed with all the (good to me) news going about at the moment regarding ati's new 48** series.

17. farlex85

farlex85 New Member

Thanks Received:
    That's a very poor analogy. You cannot compare buying 20 cheap cars or 1 nice car to buying 2 video cards as opposed to one video card. The thing is, for $400, you can get 2 cards that perform better than a $600 card from nvidia, and that's just silly. They do the exact same thing. Those 20 cheap cars will in no way perform the same or better than 1 lambroghini.

Nick89 says thanks.
  18. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:
    yeah, but following the same analogy, if you were to take 1 Corvette and install 2 motors - yeah . . . it'd beat a Lambo any day of the week.

besides, you could buy a Lambo for $125,000+ and sure, your 0-60 might be 3 seconds but you'd still only have a 1/4 mile et of 10.4 seconds; or . . . you could go purchase a Corvette Z06 for $75,000, only have a 0-60 time of 4 seconds, but take a 1/4 mile et in a little under 9.5 seconds . . . with 2 less cylinders than a Lambo . . .

So, is the extra cost of the Lambo justified for similar performance? Hardly. In this comparison, the only difference is the peen scale that is involved with owning an exotic car . . .

can this comparison be grafted directly onto current competing vidoe hardware . . . yep.

My last thought, though . . . why is it that when ATI are finally able to take a stand and be dollar for dollar, and frame for frame competitive, and all the reviews are ringing their praises; is that when people want to go and start crying that the reviews are biased (asides from the fact that some truly are, but biases swing both ways)? The ATI fanbois have been very quiet the last two years, and have taken the bashing from the green camp boys with style, IMO. I guess the green camp is really feeling green now . . .

Nick89, AsRock and PedoBearApproves say thanks.
  19. Weer New Member

Thanks Received:
    Excuse me, but I think you may have missunderstood his point.
    Firstly, even if it performend better in every game but Crysis, it would still be useless.
    Secondly, it's not how well two or more perform that is on discussion - it is a single one. A dual-Phenom build could outperform a single-CPU Kentsfield/Yorkfield system, but on a 1/1 scale, it would fail.
    Thus concluding that AMD manufacters inferior products, for a lower price - much like a Chinese-based company.

20. Weer New Member

Thanks Received:
    I think he was referring to the outward prestige of owning the Lamborghini. Perhaps that transfers into far superior image quality.

21. OzzmanFloyd120

OzzmanFloyd120

Thanks Received:
    Didn't take long of this thread to burst into flames...

22. Weer New Member

Thanks Received:
    These are just people's opinions.. they're not scary ;)

If someone wants me to close the thread, I will. I have already gotten the responses I wanted.

23. OzzmanFloyd120

OzzmanFloyd120

Thanks Received:
    If what you wanted was an argument between ATi fanbois and nVidia fanbois. :laugh::toast:

AsRock and PedoBearApproves say thanks.
  24. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:
    not to everyone - working around cars, and considering the area I live in . . . seeing a Lambo on the streets only says to me that the owner is 1) probably a major prick, 2) the owner is probably a prick and just trying to flaunt himself, 3) the owner is probably a prick, flaunting himself, and only proving that he has more money than sense (considering repair and maintenance costs for Lambos are ridiculous).

Might be different for other regions, though.

and when has it been proven that Crysis is some pinnacle of game design and development - so much so that all other game benchmarks should be discarded?

Last I heard - Crysis was so poorly designed it didn't even have multi-GPU support straight out of the box, you had to patch the game . . .

it's not a pinnacle of game engineering - it's an over-bloated, over-hyped piece of software that could compete with WIN XP is so far as how well its coding is organized. It's also very nVidia biased, and is better coded for nVidia hardware than ATI on purpose. To top it off, hardware auto detection within the game doesn't play all that fair, either, and will place most ATI hardware below what it is capable of (i.e. it rates a HD3870 as being below a HD2900 - :wtf:).

Nick89 and PedoBearApproves say thanks.
  25. OzzmanFloyd120

OzzmanFloyd120

Thanks Received:
    This thread
    [​IMG]