1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Pro / Reliable graphics card that supports 4 x HD outputs

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by davivid, Mar 21, 2012.

1. davivid New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi,

Can anyone recommend me a graphics card that supports 4 x HD (1920 x 1080) outputs?

We have been using Eyefinity and dual card setups, but recently we have been experience screen dropouts, and because this a remote installation it causes us a lot of trouble.

No need for advanced 3D performance, just video and 2d graphics and complete reliability are key now.

Like mentioned in an earlier post we have been recommended a Matrox M9140, but this card is old, and I would like to know what else is on the market.

Thanks,
    David

2. The Von Matrices

The Von Matrices

Thanks Received:
    If you are willing to use active adapters, all AMD 7000 series cards and the 6800/6900 cards support 4 simultaneous outputs via 2 DP and 2 DVI outputs.

3. davivid New Member

Thanks Received:
    I prefer not to use active adapters, due to the hours I have wasted in the past with various configurations using the adapters (and feel its another thing that could potentially go wrong).

4. dhdude

Thanks Received:
  5. The Von Matrices

The Von Matrices

Thanks Received:
    It still needs active adapters, which the OP said he would prefer to avoid.

6. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    Both of my 6870s support 4 displays each, 2x Mini-Display Port and 2x DVI (or swap a DVI with HDMI, as one DVI shares its connection with the HDMI port.) You should be able to run 4 displays without eyefinity. The 6850 does the same I believe, but I'm not sure about lower model cards.

You could consider a workstation graphics card like a FirePro, but for 4 display outputs you're looking at about 700 USD, so the 6870 might be cheaper at the expense of 2D image quality and advanced workstation-specific features... but if you're interested, take a look here.

7. Bo$$

Bo$$ Lab Extraordinaire

Thanks Received:
    He doesn't want Active adapters

8. The Von Matrices

The Von Matrices

Thanks Received:
    As far as I know, there are no cards that natively support more than 2 DVI displays, so you are left with three options:

1) Use AMD Radeon HD 68xx/69xx/7xxx series cards with active Displayport adapters
    2) Use a dual-GPU card, not necessarily a high-end card, but a workstation card like this
    3) Use two DVI splitters, like the Matrox DualHead2Go

All options have something extra that has the potential to break, but it's up to you to decide which is the most reliable.

9. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    Then you have a problem. A lot video cards that support multiple (more than 2) displays tend to use DP and MDP, so you're going to have a lot of trouble finding one that isn't. Also fitting that many DVI ports on a video card isn't very feasible unless you start using Matrox splitters (ugh!). Also what kind of issues did the OP run into using active adapters? I've had no issue with either my 6870 or my MBP using an active adapter @ 1920x1200 & 1080.

10. davivid New Member

Thanks Received:
    I would possibly accept active adapters (if I have too) on a Pro card so the FirePro V7900 could be a solution.

Maybe there just aren't any modern cards that either have 4 x DVI / HDMI, or a Quad Head?

11. The Von Matrices

The Von Matrices

Thanks Received:
    See my post, point #2

12. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    4 DVI ports would completely fill a dual-slot video card's backplate, a reason why you never see it anymore. Even more so with the size of MiniDP, considering you can fit 6 MiniDP on a single slot video card (I think there is a FirePro that has that config.)