1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Problem flashing 9600XT bios

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by Johhny B, Oct 11, 2006.

1. Johhny B New Member

Thanks Received:
    I tried to flash my ATI 9600 AIW XT with the unlocked bios from tech Power Up using the latest Atiflash and the command atiflash -p 0 9600xt.bin(renamed) and I get: Invalid pc bios image, Error 0FL01. The saved bios is 49,152 bytes but the one I am trying to flash to is 46,467 bytes. Why the discrepancy and what am I doing wrong?

Also when I un-install and install drivers for the card now I get a window that says Critical Error: No 0 display driver. But then things seem to go fine after I exit the window. I never used to get this error. Been using ATI cards a long time.

2. Pinchy New Member

Thanks Received:
    you need to use the -f in there.

what -f does is force the card to flash. it is not flashing the card at the moment, because it is programmed not to change the bios to a different card ;)

3. Johhny B New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks,
    That's what I thought but I wanted to make sure.

So why the discrepancy in the bios file sizes between the original and the other?

One more thing. I saw in another thread about using a pci vid card when doing the flash. I have a few, but do I really need to go to the trouble?

4. Pinchy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Its only like 3kb, probably just less code or something

Nup you dont need a PCI card, from my experience with flashing my X800, all i did was type that command with the floppy disk in, rebooted after i heard the jingle and bingo, i had an X800XT PE ;)

5. lemonadesoda

lemonadesoda

Thanks Received:
    Johhny, I see you are new here. So quick tip:

1./ Don't take any shortcuts. Back up your old BIOS first!
    2./ When you flash, use the DOS flash utility rather than the ATIWinFlash. There is nothing wrong with the ATIwinflash utility.. in fact the info it gives you about the existing BIOS is very helpful... but it is "idiot proof" and does't allow you to flash the BIOS from a different card (which is the whole point of speed/pipe hacks!)
    3./ Always keep a spare PCI card in your collection, if you were thinking about throwing out or ebaying the cards. If anything goes wrong with your AGP/PCIe flash, you need to install a PCI card so you can connect your VDU to start the repair process

6. Pinchy New Member

Thanks Received:
    i dont have a PCI card :D