• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Problem flashing video BIOS [ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4670]

Krazywrath

Problem flashing video BIOS [ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4670] [SOLVED]ish

Hey all,

I've been trying to follow the Guide to Video BIOS flashing: http://www.techpowerup.com/articles//overclocking/vidcard/34/5

Okay, I'm trying to "overclock" my video card on my laptop because my manufacturer Asus decided to lock the maximum (is it called "clock"?) I could get to 550/700 MHz.
My HD 4670 is supposed to have 675/800 according to Notebookcheck: http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-ATI-Mobility-Radeon-HD-4670.13881.0.html

That's why I'm trying to flash the bios: to get at least what the manufacturer designed my card for... otherwise, it's such a waste! ;)

My problem arises when I get to the making a bootable USB step. Am I supposed to copy all the individual files onto the root of the USB after formatting it? It asks whether I want to replace some files when I do that... ("When the format is complete copy all files from that ZIP file onto the USB stick.") My question applies to the step after as well. Is the new bios file and flashing tool supposed to be in the root folder as well?

When I then try to boot my USB at startup, it tells me that there's been a problem and that I can't boot into the USB. When I press any key, it just boots into Windows as usual.

Thanks!

Last edited:
System Name mini
Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
Motherboard GIGABYTE GA-EP35-DS4
Cooling XIGMATEK Dark Knight-S1283V
Memory Mushkin Enh Blackline 4GB
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE GV-R585OC-1GD
Storage Corsair P128 SSD - Seagate Barracuda 1TB
Display(s) BenQ 20.1 FP202W LCD
Case COOLER MASTER Storm Scout
Audio Device(s) Creative SB Audigy 2
Power Supply Corsair 620HX 620W
Software Several
1 - Download and install the HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool.
2 - Download the Windows 98 system file. This is a zip file that contains the system files that you will need to make a drive bootable. Extract these files into a folder and make sure that you preserve the directory structure.
3 - Insert the USB Memory Key into the USB port of your computer (all files on the USB will be deleted).
4 - Run the HP format tool program (In Win 7 and Vista run the program as Administrator).
Under the device drop down list, make sure that the USB memory key is selected.
5 - Under the file system drop down list, select FAT32.
6 - Check the box next to Create a DOS startup disk and select "using DOS system files located at:”
7-Click on the square box with 3 dots on and browse to the folder that you extracted the Win98 system files and then click on the OK button, then click the Start button.
8-When the HP program has completed the operation, click on the Close and/or OK button.

Now have a bootable USB memory key.
Just copy the flash utility and BIOS to the USB drive. It’s recommended to copy these files to the root directory to avoid unnecessary typing while in DOS.

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Processor Intel i7 13700K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 HERO EVA Edition
Cooling ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 with Noctua Industrial Fans
Memory PAtriot Viper Elite RGB 96GB @ 6000MHz.
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3090 24GB OC EVA Edition
Storage Addlink S95 M.2 PCIe GEN 4x4 2TB
Display(s) Asus ROG SWIFT OLED PG42UQ
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Realtek on board > Sony Receiver > Cerwin Vegas
Power Supply be quiet DARK POWER PRO 12 1500W
Mouse ROG STRIX Impact Electro Punk
Keyboard ROG STRIX Scope TKL Electro Punk
Software Windows 11

Krazywrath

@jojesa thx! but i actually tried that method as well (which gets me a working bootable usb key!) but then atiflash didn't work for some reason when i tried to extract my bios.

@sneekypeet You're a lifesaver. That method worked! Thanks for finding that for me!! =D
My ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4670 is now at 675/801!!

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Processor Intel i7 13700K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 HERO EVA Edition
Cooling ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 with Noctua Industrial Fans
Memory PAtriot Viper Elite RGB 96GB @ 6000MHz.
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3090 24GB OC EVA Edition
Storage Addlink S95 M.2 PCIe GEN 4x4 2TB
Display(s) Asus ROG SWIFT OLED PG42UQ
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Realtek on board > Sony Receiver > Cerwin Vegas
Power Supply be quiet DARK POWER PRO 12 1500W
Mouse ROG STRIX Impact Electro Punk
Keyboard ROG STRIX Scope TKL Electro Punk
Software Windows 11
@sneekypeet You're a lifesaver. That method worked! Thanks for finding that for me!! =D
My ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4670 is now at 675/801!!

Not trying to sound mean or anything, but it was the 3rd hit on google, took little work on my part;)

Glad it worked out for you though, I know flashing can be something out of most users comfort zone.

Krazywrath

Not trying to sound mean or anything, but it was the 3rd hit on google, took little work on my part;)

Glad it worked out for you though, I know flashing can be something out of most users comfort zone.

Oh, what kind of keywords did you use? I can't seem to reproduce your search! :S
Also, yeah! I've only flashed my computer's BIOS once before :p

System Name LenovoⓇ ThinkPad™ T430
Processor IntelⓇ Core™ i5-3210M processor (2 cores, 2.50GHz, 3MB cache), Intel Turbo Boost™ 2.0 (3.10GHz), HT™
Motherboard Lenovo 2344 (Mobile Intel QM77 Express Chipset)
Cooling Single-pipe heatsink + Delta fan
Memory 2x 8GB KingstonⓇ HyperX™ Impact 2133MHz DDR3L SO-DIMM
Video Card(s) Intel HD Graphics™ 4000 (GPU clk: 1100MHz, vRAM clk: 1066MHz)
Storage SamsungⓇ 860 EVO mSATA (250GB) + 850 EVO (500GB) SATA
Display(s) 14.0" (355mm) HD (1366x768) color, anti-glare, LED backlight, 200 nits, 16:9 aspect ratio, 300:1 co
Case ThinkPad Roll Cage (one-piece magnesium frame)
Audio Device(s) HD Audio, RealtekⓇ ALC3202 codec, DolbyⓇ Advanced Audio™ v2 / stereo speakers, 1W x 2
Power Supply ThinkPad 65W AC Adapter + ThinkPad Battery 70++ (9-cell)
Mouse TrackPointⓇ pointing device + UltraNav™, wide touchpad below keyboard + ThinkLight™
Keyboard 6-row, 84-key, ThinkVantage button, spill-resistant, multimedia Fn keys, LED backlight (PT Layout)
Software MicrosoftⓇ WindowsⓇ 10 x86-64 (22H2)
Hey!

Do you think this would work for a mobility HD 3470??

I think I'll try this one out when I get my laptop back from repairs...

The GPU is slow and temps never get past 45~50ºC, even on hot days...worth a shot, right?

TATapiH

Hi!
At me the big problem = (
I haven't saved original vbios the ati mobility hd 4670 512Mb GDDR3 MSI = (
Now it doesn't work = (
Help me to find vbios on a video card ati mobility hd 4670 512Mb GDDR3 MSI...

Thanks!
Ruslan (tatapmalay@mail.ru)