1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

problem hard drive

Discussion in 'Storage' started by cookiemonster, Apr 7, 2013.

1. cookiemonster

Thanks Received:
    Hi I have a WD 640 sata 11 black hard drive that I used as my main hard drive a few years ago I want to wipe it to use it for storage but when I formatted it through window it shows as if it is split in to two parts one is approx. 5xxgb and the other is about 80-90gb and when I tried to use it for storage it a lot of my games on my main drive wont work. how can I erase it completely.

2. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    WARNING: this is dangerous. if you do this wrong you could break your windows installation. be careful.

with the computer running off of your current, new hard drive, and the old one attached. go to the start menu and type "disk management" in the search box.

select "create and format hard disk partitions"
    find your disk in the list, right click on each partition and click "delete volume"
    then you can right click and create a new empty volume spanning the entire drive.

cookiemonster says thanks.
  3. cookiemonster

Thanks Received:
    thanks will give it a go.
    regards.

4. ste2425

ste2425

Thanks Received:
    You could burn a ubuntu live disc, then unplug your hardrive with the working os installation.
    Boot up from the disc and use its built in format options. That way you don't have to worry about killing your current os installation.
    Format in ubunu

Download

You can download and use it for free, or donate money if you want too

cookiemonster says thanks.