1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

problem regarding graphic interface

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by behlat, Dec 4, 2012.

1. behlat New Member

Thanks Received:
    I just notice this last month that gpuz shows my video card is running at x8, but since I bouhgt my card I know it is running at x16 so I never bother to look at it again. but I never see any performance drop in games, I also run in-game benchmark and same results. is the pci-e lane and vcard golden teeth just dusty?

[​IMG]

my previous card running at x16
    [​IMG]

2. Bo$$

Bo$$ Lab Extraordinaire

Thanks Received:
    Run furmark in the background it will go up again ;) its a power saving feature

3. INSTG8R

INSTG8R

Thanks Received:
    Just click the Question Mark next to the Bus Interface. It will give you something to put it under load and should make it go up to full speed. It's just a "Power Save" function.

4. behlat New Member

Thanks Received:
    i've run the gpuz render test before and running it again but still gpuz showing the card running at x8. also tried running a game in window mode but still x8. this is giving me headache...

5. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I assume that slot in your motherboard supports x16 ?
    Do you have any second graphics card installed that could cause the ports to get switched to x8/x8 ?
    Did you configure the slot in BIOS to x8 ?
    Try to reseat the card, while you are at it look for damage in the connector area of the card, one resistor or capacitor could have been knocked off, also try the card in another PC

6. drdeathx

drdeathx

Thanks Received:
    Performance will be essentially the same in 8X

7. behlat New Member

Thanks Received:
    my mobo supports x16(as you can see in previous card), though only one pcie x16 lane. i'll reseat the card this weekend and do some major cleaning too.

8. drdeathx

drdeathx

Thanks Received:
    Like I said, your performance will be the same either way

9. behlat New Member

Thanks Received:
    finally reseat the card and do some cleaning, and it's running at x16 again, thanks to those who help...
    [​IMG]

10. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    According to the Pci-Ex bandwidth tests that have been done at TPU, it takes at least a 580 or 5870 to surpass 8x bandwidth, and those only do so by 2%.

That said, I recently set my Pci-Ex lane config to 16x/1x in the BIOS, just to make sure the default Auto setting wouldn't throttle my 7970 any.

God knows these modern GPUs do enough throttling of their own with their boost features. The GPU usage graph can look like a roller coaster.