1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Problem when playing video

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by argada, Mar 30, 2008.

1. argada New Member

Thanks Received:
    My System:

- E8500 CPU
    - 2 * 2GB G.Skill DDR2-800 4-4-4-12
    - Asus P5N-D MOTHERBOARD
    - 2 * XFX 8800GT 512MB xXx Edition
    - Thermaltake Toughpower 750W
    - Windows XP Pro x64

I’ve been having this problem while playing avi video clips (divx etc.) "sometimes" it would screw up and all these colored bands start appearing, like artifacts and vertical bars etc . And my mouse cursor turns into a big smudge. See attachment.

I don't think this has to do with heat, just playing a video clip doesn't put the system under much load at all, everything running at idle temperatures. It also doesn't crash, it would happily keep playing (with colors and bars and all.) But when I do launch another application that uses 'graphics' that's when it will freeze and hang.

So, say, after having this happen, I could still continue browsing, moving around the desktop, everything is fine. (Except mouse is a smudge.) But as soon as I launch anything that's 'graphical' it will hang. e.g. (start any game, launch a screen saver, rthdribl.) and I have to reboot.

I don't know what the problem is. It only happens sometimes, for example I could play a clip all day long and it would be fine. It happens with multiple different files, all of which I have viewed on another machine and seems to be fine. It would ‘turn bad’, and I would reboot and jump straight to the location in the file that it happened and it would be play fine.

The same thing happens with different media players I tried wmp, vlc.

Aside from this, the computer appears stable enough. It passed an 18 hour ORTHOS run, 10 hours of MemTest86+, no errors.

I tried going back to another set of drivers. I was using 169.32 drivers. I tried going back to 169.21, it didn’t help. Running out of ideas… what could it be? Codec? 64bit operating system issues?

Attached Files:

2. Cold Storm

Cold Storm Battosai

Thanks Received:
    Its most likely your codec. here is a codec that is by far the best one around. I say try that, and your video's should be good again.

3. tzitzibp

tzitzibp New Member

Thanks Received:
    hi cold... I agree. It must be codex issue....

get the correct xvid and divx codecs and this should solve the problem...
    http://www.xvidmovies.com/codec/

4. mrbudgie New Member

Thanks Received:
    download vlc media player, you'll never need codecs again, and it plays anything you throw at it

5. argada New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the speedy replies. I installed CCCP, will give this a try. The annoying thing is it only happens "sometimes", so it's a little tricky to figure out if this fixes the problem. Only time will tell...
    NEVERMIND!

**JUST AS I was typing this..** The same thing happened again... urg..

Oh, and and I was using VLC, ..., in fact, that picture attachment in my post shows VLC running. lol

6. Triprift

Triprift

Thanks Received:
    Try media player classic nad make sure ya got the latest divx codec

7. tzitzibp

tzitzibp New Member

Thanks Received:
    the player makes no difference in playback... you need the codecs

8. DOM

DOM

Thanks Received:
  9. orphy New Member

Thanks Received:
    i find it strange you never normally need codecs if youy are using vlc. Are we all sure its not a driver/card issue?

10. lemonadesoda

lemonadesoda

Thanks Received:
    I have issues with VLC. For example, the GTA4 demo trailer will not run in VLC but it works just fine in DivX player. Change your media player and load the latest Klite or CCCP codecs.

11. argada New Member

Thanks Received:
    That is right. I have installed and used VLC player on 5 other machines and never had any problem like this.

btw, I installed latest xvid codec from that link, and I'm currently playing/testing it. *fingers crossed*

I'm absolutely NOT sure if its driver issue or not, lol. But I did try another driver version, which didn't change anything. So I'm seeking advice here... this is the first time for me installing 64bit OS so I don't know if that has anything to do with it, compatibility issues maybe? dunno.

12. DOM

DOM

Thanks Received:
  13. argada New Member

Thanks Received:
    VLC would play fine and only sporadically it would start showing the funky colors. Using another player, like windows media player, it would fail in EXACTLY the same manner, so I'm not sure the software player have much to do with it.

Bare in mind the video clips I'm trying to play are not some "recent" file (Like 5 year old TV show?), i.e. encoded with a later version than my playback would allow. I have watched these on older machines using whatever version of VLC (and others.) with no problem at all.

What really confuses me is, it messes up my mouse cursor, and it hangs my machine as soon as I, start up another video, or start some graphical application(game, screen saver full screen picture preview.) and If I don't, the machine will continue to function indefinitely.

I will try http://www.xpcodecpack.com/ soon, it takes me a while to test if anything worked or not. And I just installed new xvid codec, testing 1 thing at a time.

14. argada New Member

Thanks Received:
    Tried using latest codec from divx.com and xvid. And and it still didn't fix the problem. So I removed the previous codecs and installed the pack from http://www.xpcodecpack.com/

Will test this.

15. FatForester New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm gonna list another codec pack, just for kicks. It includes EVERYTHING from the latest divx, xvid, ah, well you can look at the list and find out.

K-Lite: http://www.free-codecs.com/download/k_lite_codec_pack.htm

I'm not sure if it will change anything, but perhaps SLI is giving a problem with the PureVideo playback. Disabling it might be worth a shot.

16. DOM

DOM

Thanks Received:
    I think it ask for you to restart after install make sure you restart for it to work ;)

17. argada New Member

Thanks Received:
    yeah. So what I been doing is, deleting all codecs followed by restart. Install the new pack. Restart. Then start testing.

What is painful is ... I cannot quickly tell if it worked or not, have to play a few videos, sit around, and wait ...

I used k-lite before, I will give this the latest version a shot if this xpcodecpack doesn't work.

18. argada New Member

Thanks Received:
    Tried K-lite, still unresolved.

19. farlex85

farlex85 New Member

Thanks Received:
    What are your gpu temps? Could be an sli thing as well, have you tried disabling one?

20. argada New Member

Thanks Received:
    pretty much idle temperatures. core temp of upper card 50 degree, the bottom card 5 degrees lower.

I have not tried disabling SLI, but even if that works, doesn't seem like a nice solution.

21. farlex85

farlex85 New Member

Thanks Received:
    No it doesn't, but at least you would know whats going on and could go from there. This seems like its probably a vc issue to me.

Just make sure you have the latest drivers from nvidia also, and try disabling sli.

And just to clarify, your cards aren't ocd right?

22. argada New Member

Thanks Received:
    xXx editions are factory oced. So... yes they are oced, but I didn't touch them.

using latest stable from from nvidia

23. qwerty_lesh

qwerty_lesh

Thanks Received:
    ive read recently that green bands over compressed video can have to do with ffshow configuration, if you still have the k-lite codec pack intstalled, try configuring the ffshow decoder differently, ill have a look around to see if i can find where i read it and paste u a solution form there, hope it'l help

i found the thread where ive read this similar problem, altho im speculating it could be the age of the video your trying to play, i hope that giving this url doesnt break any forum rules, apologies in advance if it does:
    http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?t=657047&highlight=divx

incase u guys cant read the thread [its likely so] ill share the solution from overclockers here,
    credits goto foxmulder881 from ocau not me for this:
    "I opened the file in g-spot and identified the codec as XviD.
    So I changed XviD and DivX decoding from ffdshow to XviD 1.2 and DivX 6.8.0, respectively."

theres a screenshot of a klite install, selecting the correct codecs for directshow, that should help with ur playback problems.
    funny enough the rest of the thread just praises vlc a few times and thats it, so hope that helps u out a bit.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2008
  24. argada New Member

Thanks Received:
    Tried clean install, with 2 different operating systems. Still unresolved.
    Windows XP32 sp3 (latest update)
    Windows Vista x64 sp1 (latest updates)

Using latest stable video drivers from nvidia.

They all fail in exactly the same manner, the video window start showing these colored lines etc, and mouse cursor gets messed up. Then eventually system locks up.

I tried disabling SLI mode, made no difference.

Interestingly, initially this was only happening with divx encoded file (Although I didn't really try that many different file types), today it happened with a .wmv file. But xvid seems to play fine.

25. treezy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Wow I have the same exact problem, I use to have 2 EVGA 8800gt SLi and it happened a handful of times i ended up selling them and now 2 Evga 8800GTS and it just happened again.
    I messed around with the temps a whole lot with rivatuner and i am almost positive its not a overheating issue mine are in the higher 40's idle and 70-80 full blast. like you said it only happens when watching video clips. i have troubleshooting for quite a long time now, and have tried everything mentioned on this forum as well. im running out of ideas except disable sli but you did that already and it didnt help. I will keep trying new things and hopefully we'll get this
    fixed because its really starting to get annoying.