1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Problem with Geforce 9500GT HDMI connection

Discussion in 'NVIDIA' started by Nasu, May 8, 2011.

1. Nasu New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have this configuration at the moment:
    GeForce 9500 GT driver version 270.61
    Operating system: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
    Monitor: LG E2350 connected on DVI-D
    TV: LG 42LH3000 connected on HDMI
    My monitor connects to the video card by DVI-D. My TV connects to the video card by HDMI. For a while it worked fine. Then it began to make one of these two problems:
    1. When I started my PC the video card kept on reversing the main display setting from LG monitor to LG TV. It happened seldom, don’t know what caused it.
    2. When I set my TV to HDMI 3 input, it doesn’t receive any signal. I had to go to NVIDIA control panel and take the “Set up multiple displays” wizard all over again. Then it worked fine.

But now it doesn’t work anymore. The NVIDIA control panel recognizes a HDMI input but not the LG 42LH3000 TV. Instead is shown as “Digital Display”. And the TV doesn’t receive any input at all. But while the TV is set to HDMI input, my monitor flickers the display on and off.

What can I do to make this setup work ?
    Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. Red_Machine

Red_Machine

Thanks Received:
    Try uninstalling then reinstalling the drivers. If that doesn't work, then your card could be in need of replacement.

3. Nasu New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for your fast response. I'll reinstall the drivers and come back with the feedback.

4. theJesus

theJesus

Thanks Received:
    Going along with the suspicion of drivers, have you updated them recently?

5. Nasu New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yes I did. After the HDMI connection stooped working as described above, I went on and updated the driver to the current version: 270.61.
    Also I must state that everything else works perfectly (games, applications and so on), it's just the HDMI connection to the LG TV that doesn't work....

On another note, I just bought this video card an year ago. I'm not overclocking it or anything else. I don't like the idea of having to replace it as our friend stated above as a possible solution.

6. theJesus

theJesus

Thanks Received:
    I wouldn't jump to any conclusions yet. I do think it's safe to rule out the drivers as a likely cause. Now, if you had updated the drivers and then had the problem for the first time, it would be easy to say "just roll back the drivers."

In any case, does your TV have more than one HDMI connection? If so, try the other ones. Also, see if you get a signal to the TV without your monitor connected. Always good to try the simple stuff first :)

7. Nasu New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have 3 HDMI connections on my TV. Unfortunately they placed 2 on the back of the TV, witch is now mounted to the wall. So I'll have to wait until tomorrow (it's 4AM right now) to call some friends to help me get it down.
    But I also have settings for each HDMI on the TV. And I did set the HDMI 3 (witch is now connected to the video card) as PC input. And it worked fine until now...

I did try to connect the TV without the monitor. I restarted my computer and it still doesn't work.
    And I also bought a new HDMI cable and tested it. I now know it's not HDMI cable problem.

I'll come back tomorrow with the feedback. Until then, any other ideas are more then welcomed :)

Last edited: May 8, 2011
  8. theJesus

theJesus

Thanks Received:
    Do you have any other devices with HDMI out that you can try with the TV?

9. boise49ers

boise49ers

Thanks Received:
    I had one. A sparkle and it was a real good card for a lowprofile card. ATI has some really good $50 low profile 6000 series now. I had a 5570 at one point that pretty much ran anything. A ton of good budget cards out there if you do have to replace it. Is it basically just for Home Theatre ? Hell I have a fanless 5450 in a P4 3.0 Ghz that runs MW2, New Medal of Honor and has HDMI. I think they are $40.

10. Nasu New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok, today I've tried the following things:
    1. I placed the HDMI in a different HDMI port on the TV. Still not working
    2. I removed the monitor and restarted the computer only with the HDMI plugged in. Still not working.
    3. I removed all NVIDIA drivers and reinstalled them, while using custom settings to completely remove all previous settings. Still not working.

Any other ideas guys ?

@theJesus - I don't have any other HDMI devices to try.

11. puma99dk|

puma99dk|

Thanks Received:
    have u tried another cable?

12. theJesus

theJesus

Thanks Received:
    You wouldn't happen to have any sort of HDMI->DVI converter would you? If so, you could try plugging the TV to one of the DVI ports or connecting your monitor to the HDMI port. Purpose of that would be to try and determine if maybe the HDMI port is defective.

edit: Yeah, he mentioned that he bought another cable to test with.

13. Nasu New Member

Thanks Received:
    @puma99dk| - I did bought a new HDMI cable an did the test. It's not a cable problem.

@theJesus - I don't have the cables to do this tests. But I did noticed another wired thing: The PC Wizard application doesn't notice the HDMI port on the video card anymore. And it did before...

14. theJesus

theJesus

Thanks Received:
    That raises my suspicion that it is the HDMI port that is defective. It might be worth your time to see if you can get a cheap HDMI->DVI adapter, to try your monitor on the HDMI port.

15. Nasu New Member

Thanks Received:
    True. Yet, depending on the price I'm thinking of buying a new video card.

Thanks for all the help :)

16. Nasu New Member

Thanks Received:
    OK, I got a new monitor from a friend witch has a HDMI adapter. I tried the following things:
    1. Restart the computer with both monitors in place. On the DVI monitor windows loads and when I'm supposed to put the password the monitor goes blank. On the second monitor I just receive an error message.
    2. Restart the computer with only the HDMI monitor in place. The monitor remains blank the hole time.

If you guys don't have any more ideas, I'm going to buy a new video card :banghead:

17. theJesus

theJesus

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, HDMI port is probably f'ed up. Might as well get a new card.

18. Nasu New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok, I bought another video card: Nvidia Geforce GT 440
    The problem with the HDMI connection is now solved, but I'm faced with 3 new problems:

1. I can't change the TV resolution from NVIDIA Control Panel=>Change resolution. No matter what resolution I input, after clicking Apply it get's back to "PC: 1024*768 native".
    2. Each time I start the TV, the monitor flickers between the normal image and black. It does this like 30-40 times, then it works fine.
    I opened NVIDIA Control Panel=>set up multiple display wizard, then opened my TV. The check box on DIGITAL DISPLAY goes on and off, like the video card finds the TV, then it doesn't find it...and so on. Each time that check box goes on and off, the monitor flickers.
    3. When watching something on the TV via HDMI cable, I have no TV sound. Only the PC surround system works.

What can I do to solve this 3 problems ?

I have the following system configuration:
    Mainboard: Gigabyte EP31-DS3L
    Chipset: Intel P31/P35
    Procesor: Intel Core 2 Duo E7400 @ 2800MHZ
    Physical memory: 2*2048 DDR2
    Video card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 440
    Monitor: LG Flatron E2350 connected via DVI-D
    TV: LG 42LH3000 connected via HDMI

I have all software up to date.

Thanks in advance :)

Last edited: Jun 8, 2011
  19. theJesus

theJesus

Thanks Received:
    Not sure about the first 2 problems, but in regards to #3:

If you want sound to be output over HDMI, you have to first make sure it's enabled in the NVCP, then set the HDMI connection as your default playback device in windows. Alternatively, you may be able to tell the media player software which device to use instead of the default.

20. Nasu New Member

Thanks Received:
    How exactly can I do this?
    I went in NVCP and I see nothing regarding sounds setup...