1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Problem with Linksys router

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by vampire622003, Mar 6, 2008.

1. vampire622003

vampire622003 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I am having trouble connecting to my Linksys router "WRT54G".
    My adapter is a PCI "WMP54GS" by Linksys.

Nothing is wrong with my adapter, because it connects with my friends router.
    I can't get an IP or anything, nothing happens when I try to connect.
    I think the router settings may be messed up. I tried to reset it (unplug), but it doesn't work.

2. surfsk8snow.jah

surfsk8snow.jah

Thanks Received:
    How long did you unplug for? It takes around 30s to 1min for the capacitor to completely discharge and the settings to reset to default.
    With some routers not even this will do it, but you need to push the "reset" button, usually with a paper-clip or something.
    Also, are you sure that it is properly connected to the cable port @ your home? And that your cable service on and functioning? Has the router worked before this, or is it a brand new installation for you? And your friends' router, a different hardware router plugged in at your house, or another residence?

3. AKA_Dawg

AKA_Dawg New Member

Thanks Received:
    Have you tried assigning the wireless adapter a IP address? Go to tcp/ip propertys and select "use the following address" and give it one in the default range. like
    192.168.1.50 or 192.168.1.101
    192.168.1.1 (or192.168.1.10 on some open source)

dns
    same as the default gateway.

If you don't have security enabled it might connect.
    To hard reset a WRT54G router hold the reset button in (on the back) for 30 sec

4. mrhuggles

mrhuggles

Thanks Received:
    there are a few reasons this happens, the most likely is that the router needs to be set to mixed mode, ie: B + G

5. mrhuggles

mrhuggles

Thanks Received:
    if that doesnt work out lemme know some more information and maybe i can still help [like what wifi card and etc]

6. timta2

Thanks Received:
    Make sure that you don't have filtering by MAC address turned on in security. If it is on you would have to enter the wireless cards MAC address into the routers config to allow access. My friend had this problem a while ago.