• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Problems at "power on/POST" Radeon9550

Heyworld

I've had a new Connect3D Radeon9550 256Mb 128 bit for a week now and I've constantly
had this problem:
When I turn on the computer it does one of two things, it either produces a couple of beeps (as
far as I know on my motherboard this means I have a problem with my graphics card) or just keeps silent. Either way, it hangs at POST without any picture on the monitor. All the fans in the case start running and the drives start up too, but then it all ends.

It seems I have the problems described by ATI at this link (without solution "of course"):
http://www.ati.com/support/infobase/4486.html

I've figured out how to temporarily circumvent the problem: after the problem occurs I just shut down the computer (power off) and then very quickly turn it on again. I know it's not good practice to do, however this is the only solution I know of.

Changing any setting (regarding AGP or anything else) within the BIOS does nothing about te problem. Removing all other components from my system doesn't help.
I've tested the Radeon in another system and it worked perfectly without problems, so I guess the card is OK. I've tried changing my PSU (400D Sunny .... kinda cheap I think, 400W max supposedly) for an Enhance PSU but had the same results. The system works fine with an older graphics card (Nvidia TNT2), so the AGP connector isn't the culprit either. 've exchanged this card at the shop already and the second one works exactly like the first one...hence the card really doesn't seem to be faulty.

Otherwise I've had no problems once the systems starts, no lock-ups, no artefacts, no freezing games or Windows.

I'd like to know if anybody solved this kind of problems (not by replacing the card with something else that is). Could flashing the card to a 9600 change anything ? Voltmodding is not an option for me, since I'm not an expert enough with electronics to try soldering something to those small contacts.

Thank you all in advance for any info and help.

My system (it's old I know, but that's life):
AMD Athlon 1200Mhz (133 FSB)
Abit KT7A
384 MB RAM PC133
Connect3D Radeon 9550 256MB 128 Bit
SoundBlaster Live ! Value
3Com Ethernet adapter
Zoltrix TV-Max tuner

Last edited:

Vanadium

I'm no expert here... but here's a couple of ideas i'm gonna throw your way.

Your MB supports AGP 2X-4X video cards. The video card in question is designed for MB's with an AGP 4X-8X slot. If my memory serves me correctly, i believe this could be part of your problem but i could be full of it. :p Basicly, MB incompatibility even though the card suppors AGP 4X.

Do you have the latest BIOS and drivers for your motherboard ? Latest DirectX drivers ? Which OS are you using ?

Did you uninstall your old video card drivers "fully" before installing your new card ? Rumour has it that Nvidia and ATI video card drivers don't get along that well in the same system.

This "enhanced" PSU, does it have a name or is that it ?
Most cases today come equipped with a standard power supply unit. Often, those included units are cheap and lightweight. PSU's such as Antec and Enermax are heavier and come with more features and are better designed to handle todays video cards. This is what most people use and they're quite reliable.

Best of luck ! :)

KGimmy

My configuration is very like your one:

AMD 1200
MB Asus A7PRO (KT133)
Ram 1 GB
PSU 400W (I do not remember... a very cheap one...)

My ATI 9550 is a Sapphire model (256 mb ram with 128 bit)

No one trouble (Cat. 4.11; Win Xp Pro Sp2)
Sincerally I think it could be due to your video card... try another one...

Bye!

Heyworld

To Vanadium:
I have Windows2K, clean of previous graphics drivers, latest ATI drivers etc. , vut these things have no effect at POST time, so it should work past POST even without an OS installed ;)
I have the latest bios, for my motherboard, which is a 2x-4x AGP as you say. Indeed there might be some kind of an incompatibility, but not according to specifications (that are far from reality a lot of times, I know). The board properly supports the needed voltages to power up the Radeon card.
It was not an "enhanced" PSU, but an "Enhance" PSU (it's a brand name...not cheap...read some good reviews about it). A couple of days ago I even tried a third PSU (Silent Power 350W) without any change. Having tried three different PSUs, I guess the problem doesn't lie there.

The problem is the store where I bought the card doesn't have any good alternative to this card, no Saphire products, only a weaker variety of GeCube Radeons and then you have the "much-more-expensive" X800s (PCIe that is). The product isn't refundable and as you see I can't exchange it for anything more apropriate, so I'm stuck.

Thanks for your help and I'd appreciate any further help !

Heyworld

Some update info:
Maybe this could help to someone that has similar problems or maybe someone could even have an idea why I'm having this problem.

The system turns on normally (at the first switch on) only if it's been shut down for a couple of hours. The power has to be connected to the power supply and the power switch on the PSU has to be ON during this time.
Half an hour is too little, therefore I don't think it has anything to do with some capacitor in the PSU not being emptied. Perhaps RADEON cards have some sort of a voltage/current detection that might not work properly and prevent the card from being turned on ??