1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

problems in ATI catalyst control with X1800xt

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by kenjin, May 15, 2006.

1. kenjin New Member

Thanks Received:
    ever since i over clock my Sapphire X1800XT 512MB to 670core 770 memory at 1.4volt. im encountering problems in ATI catalyst control panel.

everytime i enter the Catalyst pannel and when i select 3d to change 3d settings ( you know those setting with a Racing car Graphic Running ) it would be ok at firsst. but if i move the performance/quality slider left or right. my PC froze up for a sec then monitor shuts down, i have to do a reboot to fix it...

this only happens in ATI catalyst control panel, never happen in 3dmark05 or 3dmark06 nor any other game that i have played....

this is how it works for my ATI tool setting.. when no 3d running, it loads at 2d speed which is 600/700. when ATI tool detect 3d setting it loads up the overclock 3D setting which is 670/770. I test with the Default clock speed it dosn't crash me, it seems only at when it loads up at 3d setting would crash...

do you guys i should lower my overclock? or is there other problem?

and also when i playing games and if i alt tab out to surf internet or run other programs. it become very slow, for example when i scroll down a web page , it looks like i have no video card install and the web site scrolling is very slow with shadow leaving behind. why is that?

Edit: forgot to mention im using CCC 6.3 version driver, the newest ccc6.4 driver also giving me window logon graphic corruption problems...
  2. b1lk1

b1lk1 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Your 3D voltage is a little low for 670 core. I run 1.45V on my core for anything over 650 and it gets no hotter and I am still using the stock cooler. Stick to the 6.3 drivers for now too. As for the alt-tabthing, I can't help there as I never do that. You would be better off just to end the game and switch it back to 2D clocks for surfing.
  3. kenjin New Member

Thanks Received:
    do you think i should leave my OC at 650 instead of 670 or bring my voltage higher? i mean if in a long run higher voltage would kill my card i rather off go with lower OC.
  4. b1lk1

b1lk1 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well for me, I only overclock my card when I run benchmarks. Normally I run it @ 625/750 @ 1.4Vcore/memory stock voltge for gaming. You won't really see any benefits of overclocking it while gaming. The higher voltage will take some life off of it, but we are talking a few months off of a 5+ year lifespan. If you are seeing benefits from clocking it and want to raise the VGPU, I wouldn't worry in the least. But since it makes you unfcoomfortable, lower your OC.
  5. DRDNA

DRDNA

Thanks Received:
    There is probably no problem with your graphic card...Pleas uninstall your CCC and use the cat uninstaller, then reboot and reinstall the CCC, then reinstall direct X from microsoft.com and then reboot again ,please report back if problem continues.
  6. DRDNA

DRDNA

Thanks Received:
    1.4volts is fine for the CCC clocks !!!
  7. kenjin New Member

Thanks Received:
    I lower my Clock down to 650core 750 memory at 1.4volt still same result.

i will try Drdna idea out right now, in the mean time heres the error report my Window XP creat to send to Microsoft.

Error caused by a video device driver

Thank you for sending an error report to Microsoft.

Error report summary

Error type Windows stop error (A message appears on a blue screen with error code information)
    Solution available? Yes
    What does this error mean? You received this message because a device driver installed on your computer caused the Windows operating system to stop unexpectedly. This type of error is referred to as a "stop error." A stop error requires you to restart your computer.
    Cause A video adapter device driver
    Computer symptoms A message appears on a blue screen with error code information:

STOP 0x000000EA THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER
    - or -
    STOP: 0x100000EA THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER_M

Action for you to take

We have analyzed your error report and there are two solutions for this problem for you to choose between.
    + Solution 1: Install the most current driver for your video card

* Go to the Microsoft Update website to see if there are any updated drivers for your video card. A driver is software that enables hardware or devices (such as a printer, mouse, or keyboard) to work with your computer. Every device needs a driver in order for it to work. If there are any drivers listed, you should install them.
    * If there are no updated drivers at Microsoft Update, and you know the manufacturer of the video card, contact the card manufacturer's product support service for assistance.
    * If there are no updated drivers at Microsoft Update, you don't know the name of the manufacturer of the video card, and you need more help diagnosing and resolving this problem, contact your computer manufacturer's product support service.

+ Solution 2: Manually decrease Hardware Acceleration for your video adapter

This procedure prevents the display driver from programming the hardware incorrectly, but you may lose some display functionality and performance. Although you can increase the hardware acceleration settings higher than None to regain functionality and performance, these settings increase the chance that the issue will occur again. For maximum stability, leave hardware acceleration turned off.

1. Click Start, click Control Panel, and then double-click Display.
    2. Click the Settings tab, and then click Advanced.
    3. Click the Troubleshoot tab, move the Hardware Acceleration slider to None, and then clear the Enable Write Combining check box.
    4. Click OK, and then click OK.
    Note: This procedure prevents the display driver from programming the hardware incorrectly, but you may lose some display functionality and performance. Although you can increase the hardware acceleration settings higher than None to regain functionality and performance, these settings increase the chance that the issue will occur again. For maximum stability, leave hardware acceleration off.

Article ID : 11
    Last Review : February 28, 2006
    Revision : 1.0

Additional Technical Information

* Error Message: STOP 0x000000EA THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER (Q293078)
  8. DRDNA

DRDNA

Thanks Received:
    ya thats microsofts BLAH BLAH BLAH for they dont know what the issue is beside its video related.
  9. kenjin New Member

Thanks Received:
    i just test the 625/750 at 1.4volt as well and still result getting crash when using CCC 3d settings . is kinda weird when i set to default speed 600/700 speed with 1.275 volt it works fine..

i will try reinstall the CCC and direct x now will post the result in couple min
  10. DRDNA

DRDNA

Thanks Received:
    Ok sounds good ,I will be waiting your results
  11. kenjin New Member

Thanks Received:
    well... i reinstall the CCC but... i cant download the Directx9 from microsoft site cause it require a validate... and im running the Cracked version of window xp media Center.. any other way to get newest Directx9?
  12. DRDNA

DRDNA

Thanks Received:
    Any of the new pc games released should have it on the install cd,examples Need For Speed MostWanted,Fear, Oblivian ES .
  13. DRDNA

DRDNA

Thanks Received:
  14. kenjin New Member

Thanks Received:
    ok i think i found out whats the problem now.

i have the 3d Detection setting with 3d detect loads up my Overclock speed while 3d close it loads up the Default 2D setting. ( in ATITOOL)

so i have my systool up to check the OC speed while i Use my CCC 3d setting slider. i notice that everytime i move the slider left or right for performance or quality. each time i move the Overclock speed would always jump from 625/750 to 600/700 then jump back to 625/700. and when i keep moving it start frozen up the PC and shut down the monitor..

so i try to take off the 3D detection Loads up setting in ATITOOL and leave it as 625/700 and test with CCC again. it works perftect no crashing at all..

i wonder if this apply to any of you ?
  15. kenjin New Member

Thanks Received:
    well i just test your reinstall CCC and direct x9 method still the same result with 3D detection on in ATITOOL causing crash... but if i turn the 3D detection off while Overclock it works fine...
  16. DRDNA

DRDNA

Thanks Received:
    If you are not overclocking your graphic card higher than the CCC then you should use just the CCC for overclocking and ATITOOL.exe for the fan only.If you are clocking the card higher than the CCC will let you by using atitool.exe then you need to disable ATI Hot Key Poller and ATI Smart in services ...start/ run/msconfig.
  17. kenjin New Member

Thanks Received:
    ok i will try that.. should i leave my Voltage at 1.4volt in ATITOOL if i want to use CCC overdrive to overclock to 700/800? or just leave everything at default for ATITOOL beside the Fanspeed?
  18. DRDNA

DRDNA

Thanks Received:
    ATITOOL.exe = Keep every thing at stock except fan speed.
  19. kenjin New Member

Thanks Received:
    ok thanks
  20. DRDNA

DRDNA

Thanks Received:
    please follow up with the results.
  21. kenjin New Member

Thanks Received:
    well i set it to default with 600/700 clocks for now and everything runs fine, same gose with Overclocking.. as long i dont enble the 3D detection Loads Overclock Speed and 3D detection Loads Default Speed , i dont get any problems while im using CCC...

so for now i have 3 Profile in my ATITool,

1 is Default for game playing
    2 is 650core / 750 memory clock with 1.4volt for increase FPS for certain games
    3 is 705 core /802 memory with 1.45 volt for benchmarking and other test ( normaly i dont use it)

and i disable the 3D Detection option in ATITOOL.exe coz it causing me problem when it loads up different Clock speed during CCC settings. so baiscly i need to manual select the speed i desire for what i need..
  22. DRDNA

DRDNA

Thanks Received:
    Cool beans !!!:toast:
  23. mascaras New Member

Thanks Received:
    where do you change voltages??? In atitool i only see 1.275v and this is 2D voltage , i want to high voltage to 1.45v but i dont know how.

regards
  24. kenjin New Member

Thanks Received:
    click setting in ATItool.exe in drop down menu look for voltage control
  25. mascaras New Member

Thanks Received:
    done :D

1.40v --- 700/800 >>> 10700 marks in 3ddmark 2005 :

Opty 165@2700mhz || X1800XT @ 702/800

[​IMG]

whats the safe voltage with WC for GPU??? If i try more than 1.40v the ATItool advise that its high voltage , doesnt matter right???

And the voltage shows 1.275v , thats the 2D and 3D voltage??? i change the voltage from 1.275v to 1.40v .

regards