1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Problems installing my Silencer 3 onto my 9800 XT

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by Dingleberry, Jul 6, 2005.

1. Dingleberry New Member

Thanks Received:
    Okay, so I bought a 9800 XT, and an ATI Silencer 3.

The problem is that there is a copper panel on the backside of the card which has 2 long screws that come through two of the holes that the Silencer is suppose to use (see pics):

[​IMG]
    The 9800 XT

[​IMG]
    The frontside of the card (stock HS removed). The screws in question are boxed out.

[​IMG]
    The backside of the card. The screws from the picture above are attached to this panel.

[​IMG]
    The new heatsink. As you can see, the screws are obstructing the mounting of the Silencer.

Looking at several websites, none of the cards they use in the installation show this copper panel.

It appears the black squares on the front (sinks for the RAM, I assume) are holding that copper paneling on; is it possible to remove those?

Has anyone encountered this issue before?

--

This issue all started with BF2 freezing after about 25-30 minutes of play. The card would be extremely hot to the touch.
  2. stordoff New Member

Thanks Received:
    why can't you remove the backplate?

Where are the black squares on the front ?
  3. Dingleberry New Member

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]

See the red boxes - right next to each of them are 2 black squares.

Those things seem to be holding the panel on the opposite side on.

I did notice that the large screws seem to have a hex-shaped top. Is it possible to unscrew these?
  4. intel igent

intel igent New Member

Thanks Received:
    i dont see the black squares you are talking about either but the only way youre going to get the arctic cooler on there is with the backplate removed AFAIK it should just come off with some GENTLE pulling. ok just seen your last post those black squares are your ram and there is probably thermal tape holding the backplate to them just try what i said but remember be GENTLE