1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Problems updating to 12.6

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by doveman, Jul 11, 2012.

1. doveman New Member

Thanks Received:
    With 12.3 installed, when installing 12.6 it says that the Driver is already up to date. Unless the driver hasn't changed since 12.3, this can't be correct.

The install shows the driver to be installed as 8.951.0.000 and CCC shows the current 2D driver as 8.01.01.1235, although Device Manager shows the current driver as 8.951.0.000. All the other components were updated properly but even after rebooting, CCC still shows 12.3.

I'm using onboard HD3300 IGP.
  2. Phusius

Phusius New Member

Thanks Received:
    When I download new AMD drivers, I click uninstall in the options when you go to install it. Then reboot after uninstall, the install the new drivers fresh. So AMD uninstalls it and installs all with the same download, never had 1 issue. Not sure why but it always works for me.
  3. doveman New Member

Thanks Received:
    I uninstalled everything with the ATI installer and now installing 12.6 it doesn't even list a display driver (or quite a few other things that were previously listed, just Catalyst Install Manager, APP SDK Runtime, HDMI Audio driver and Vision Control Engine)!

Device Manager shows the installed driver is now 8.920.0.0 dated 09/11/2011.

Maybe the drivers after 12.3 don't support the HD3300. I mainly wanted to install 12.6 for the bugfixes, some of which were to do with HDMI audio, so perhaps the new driver will have fixed those. I guess I'll need to reinstall 12.3 to get the graphics driver and the other components re-installed.
  4. doveman New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hmm, the ATI Driver Autodetect and download has found a "12.6 Legacy" so I'll give that a go.

That shows it's going to install 8.970.100.300 and all the other components, so it's looking promising :)

EDIT: Yep, all sorted now. Panic over :D
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2012
  5. GotNoRice

GotNoRice New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yes, Pre-HD5000 GPUs were moved to the legacy driver after 12.4.

It's rather interesting that installing regular drivers doesn't give you any kind of error or indication that you need the legacy drivers instead, they simply install like "normal" but don't actually update the driver... Obviously that leads to confusion for many.
  6. alexsubri

alexsubri New Member

Thanks Received:
    This is how I do it. I had problems from 12.4 to 12.6. I am running 12.6 now and everything is butter.

1.) Download ATIUnistaller 6.2.0 or latest version
    2.) Perform full uninstall.
    3.) It will take about 1 reboot to completely finish.
    4.) Run DriverSweeper and get any left over ATI drivers
    5.) Run DriveSweeper in Safe Mode to do the same above.

You should now be free of any ATI issues. Good luck!
  7. GotNoRice

GotNoRice New Member

Thanks Received:
    OP already identified his issue. Using 3rd party crapware that serves no function beyond what the built-in uninstaller already provides certainly isn't going to help in terms of making standard catalyst drivers install on hardware that has been moved to the legacy driver. Reading a thread first is generally preferable to a hit-and-run reply after reading a sentence or two from the first post. Just sayin...
  8. alexsubri

alexsubri New Member

Thanks Received:
    oh well. This "Crapware" has helped out 1,000s of people in this community. I've always used this method and it has never let me down. I give answers first and then read later.
  9. doveman New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, you'd think it could say "This driver is not compatible with your hardware" and provide a link to the legacy driver. If I'd done a Express rather than Custom install, I wouldn't have even seen that it wasn't updating the video driver or installing half the components!
  10. TotalChaos

TotalChaos New Member

Thanks Received:
  11. doveman New Member

Thanks Received: