1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Problems with MSI Twin Frozr II 5850 and a warning to members

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by trt740, Jan 25, 2011.

1. trt740

trt740

Thanks Received:
    I purchased a MSI Twin FrozerII 5850, beautiful card, great temps and near silent dual fan. However, Afterburner doesn't work right once voltage is applied. MSI knows this but continues to act like Afterburner supports the card and it does with a catch. MSI limits you to Overdrives max speeds 775/1125 and gives you voltage control. You can also enable unofficial overclocking giving you unlocked clocks and max voltage of 1.3v. Here is the problem, Afterburner detects the 3d voltage incorrectly on this card, but that can be fixed by capturing the cards voltage and setting it yourself, but once you overvolt the card you will get random errors switching from 3d /2d apps, like streaming video. You can game all day at 850/ 1250 and run OCCT for hours, 3dmark the hell out of the card , and all are stable, but the minute you go to a 2d app with voltage increased blue screen and reboot. Underwinder won't help you and says unofficial overclocking isn't supported so your stuck at 775/1125 and afterburner is useless. ( Underwinder has always been helpful in the past so whats that tell you)If you buy this card be aware Afterburner doesn't work right with this card once you overvolt the card and you will be limited to or very near the max ATI Overdrive clocks. MSI put a Chevette engine in a Corevette body and it is a shame. Thought I should warn all TPU members so you know exactly what your buying if purchase one of these cards. My card is on it's way back to the store. The cards still fast at 775/1125 and the glitches are workable but it not what I payed for and MSI is not shooting straight here. FYI there are other minor problem I didn't mention here aswell.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2011
  2. Andrei23 New Member

Thanks Received:
    what version of msi afterburner are you using?

3. trt740

trt740

Thanks Received:
    The newest officials version; and the new beta