1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Problems with Sims 2(old i know!)

Discussion in 'Games' started by Fitseries3, Apr 6, 2011.

1. Fitseries3

Fitseries3 Eleet Hardware Junkie

Thanks Received:
    my GF has been playing sims 2 and we are plagued with issues. i've googled for days and cannot figure this shit out.

1. sims get stuck in the pool. not like you may think... they can physically "get out" of the pool but they "swim" through the concrete, grass, flooring, etc. with water around their necks.

2. sometimes they get in bed and you cannot do a damn thing to get em to wake up. they sleep for days, months, before we end up just deleting them and making a new family.

3. sometimes the screen goes black other than the house itself. i dont think its a gfx issue due to the fact that EVERYONE i've read about has this same issue, even with huge gpus in use.

4. the dog stands in one place and stares into space infinitely(almost). every once in a while he'll go outside and roll in the grass. he wont respond to any commands.

YES i have done ALL patches, updates, etc. to the game. i've tried cheats and they dont work either.

WTF is wrong with this game?

2. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    I think you've just answered your question right there, buddy. ;)

But seriously, how old is Sims 2? Is it Win98 era software, perhaps? If so, it might run best under that or XP Win98 compatibility mode.

If it's XP era software, then it might be best to try it under XP and see if it doesn't work in quite such a retarded way. Also, you may want to try the Win7 XP mode on this, or the various XP compatibility options in Win7. Finally, you could try Win7 32-bit and see if it's any different. Good luck! :toast:

Another thought: when running under XP, it's possible that it might want an earlier patch level, ie SP1 or SP2 to work properly. Bit of a long shot, but worth considering.

3. r9

r9

Thanks Received:
    It is not that old. It is proper 3D game.

4. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    its just a badly coded, buggy game.

5. Bundy

Bundy

Thanks Received:
    - Alcohol

- marijuana

- mushroom

- heroin

6. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    So it must have run like this originally? The implication in the OP is that it used to behave itself before.

I think we need Fits to clarify.

7. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    it sounds like the system may be unstable somewhat making things worse, but yeah those problems are extremely common.

its one of those games that runs with errors instead of crashing, so an unstable machine can cause all sorts of weird shit to happen. tiniest error results in people swimming through rocks for the rest of the game, unstable machine or not.

qubit says thanks.
  8. v12dock

v12dock

Thanks Received:
    Try The Sims 3?

9. Black Panther

Black Panther Senior Moderator™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Are you using any mods and/or custom content in the game? 99% of these issues arise with conflicting mods or custom content which is not fully compatible with the expansion packs or with later-released patches.

Try first by disabling custom content from the game's menu.

If that doesn't do it, make a copy your mods and custom content, and play the vanilla game and see if the problems appear. Ideally do a reinstall. I'm pretty sure this will solve the problem.

If it does, then add the custom content and mods little by little (it takes a lot of patience I know) so that you find the culprit.