1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Problems with using WD Caviar Green drives in a RAID?

Discussion in 'Storage' started by Static~Charge, Mar 22, 2009.

1. Static~Charge

Static~Charge

Thanks Received:
    Does anyone know if the Western Digital Caviar Green hard drives work well in RAID setups (level 1, 5, 10, 0+1)? I'm wondering if there are any issues with the variable spindle speed of the Green drives (5400 to 7200 RPM, depending on the load). Could there be performance problems if the RAID's drives speed up or slow down out-of-sync?
  2. AthlonX2

AthlonX2 HyperVtXâ„¢

Thanks Received:
    there not to bad,but i also used the wdidle hack..it seemed to speed up the access time for the drives...
  3. renozi New Member

Thanks Received:
    i heard the green drives are locked at 5400rpm even the 1TB ones.
    http://www.silentpcreview.com/article786-page1.html
    I'm planning on getting 2 500GB for raid 0 storage because my 750gb aaks are noticeable even over the fans, which are louder, but the drives are noticeable.
  4. Hayder_Master

Hayder_Master

Thanks Received:
    i know the green version is only come with low cash but 7200 RPM , i don't think there is new drives come with 5400 it is too slow
  5. DanishDevil

DanishDevil

Thanks Received:
    Nope, the WD Greenpower series runs "5400-7200RPM" and each drive apparantly has been tuned to its own unique RPM to minimize noise and vibrations. That is bollocks, and they're all basically 5400RPM drives.

Greenpower is supposed to be very low energy consuming, very quiet, and very cool running, and they do that well. Perfect for file storage.

If you want the best of both worlds (silence, low temps, and performance) get a Caviar Blue, which are 7200RPM. WD Caviar Blacks are performance drives at 7200RPM, and then you have the Raptors and Velociraptors which are enthusiast at 10kRPM.

As far as the OP's question, I've got no idea.
    Hayder_Master says thanks.
  6. REVHEAD New Member

Thanks Received:
    I run 2 Samsung 1tb green power drives in raid 0 on my Hometheater setup without a drama, I am sure the same could be said for the WD drives, but not 100%
  7. Hayder_Master

Hayder_Master

Thanks Received:

mmmmmmm, interesting so the green one good for offices pc's
  8. Static~Charge

Static~Charge

Thanks Received:
    Tech ARP's review of the 2TB Caviar Green drive cleared up a few details. First, the spindle speed isn't variable; WD locks it somewhere between 5400 and 7200 RPM (more likely on the lower end of the scale) and won't tell you what it is. If each drive has a different rotation speed, I don't think I'd want to use them in a RAID environment.

Second, the Caviar Green line trades throughput for less noise, heat, and power consumption. I guess something had to give to make it a "green" drive. I think I'll wait for standard versions of the 2TB drives to hit the market.