1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Process of Building

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Duxx, Jan 4, 2008.

1. Duxx Guest

So im sitting here putting my computer together and thought i would check to make sure everything is working before i finish it up with optical drives, hdd, graphics card, and RAM. I plug in PSU, and turn it on, i get fans going and lights turn on. But i never hear any BEEP sequence. I dont have my RAM here yet, hopefully soon, but i wanted to get started early, does it need RAM before it will make any sounds? Mobo, PSU, CPU, front panel cables, sound card are all that are connected right now.
  2. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Did you check if the mobo or case has a speaker?
  3. Duxx Guest

Manual says that it has POST messages. And then gives me a list of what they are. So im assuming that is has a speaker.
  4. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I guess that unless there is a post message listed for "no ram", I wouldn't worry about it untill you put your ram in.
  5. Duxx Guest

Bah, just read them more clearly, and it says:
    No Memory Detected. --> One continuous beep followed by two short beeps. then a pause (repeated)
    Ahhh!
  6. zekrahminator

zekrahminator McLovin

Thanks Received:
    Make sure you built in accordance to this guide, and especially make sure you remembered to put spacers under your board before screwing it in/powering it up.
  7. Duxx Guest

I looked at that guide several times. My case (Antec 900) already came with 6 of the spacers in, i plopped 3 more in which my manual says to do. 9 spacers are in and secured. Plugged in the 24 pin and 8 pin.
  8. Duxx Guest

Bump. :(
  9. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    Does your board have a CMOS reset pushbutton or a jumper? If it's a jumper check to make sure it's not in the clear position, also double check you have a case speaker connected.
  10. Duxx Guest

It has a toggle switch and it is in the Disable option. Have not touched it. I dont have a case speaker, does the antec 900 have one?

And I cant seem for the life of me to figure out if this mobo has a built in speaker or buzzer of some sort. Anybody know?
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2008
  11. JrRacinFan

Thanks Received:
    Sorry but .... LOL ... What mobo is it?
  12. Duxx Guest

Asus X38, P5E.

:D, i know n00b ftw
  13. JrRacinFan

Thanks Received:
    So just a "vanilla" P5E?

Quick scan over your motherboard looks like it would need a case speaker connected, down by the pwr on and reset jumpers.
  14. JrRacinFan

Thanks Received:
    Ygpmb and very welcome!
  15. Darren

Darren New Member

Thanks Received:
    What were you hoping to achieve?, without a ram stick present you certainly wouldn't get a display on screen, and as for sounds I'm not sure. Wait for all your components to arrive before playing around with it
  16. Snipe343

Snipe343

Thanks Received:
    how about you put everything in and then starting it up XD
  17. Duxx Guest

:) Im waiting on the RAM which thanks to Newegg/UPS wont arrive until next wednesday... booooo