1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Processor came out with heatsink

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by l4derman, Jul 1, 2010.

1. l4derman New Member

Thanks Received:
    I was removing the the heatsink and trying to be as careful as possible, however the cpu came right out with it. I didn't have a chance to release the retention bracket either. The processor was really on there!

After inspection no pins are out of place. One pin, upon very close inspection, leans VERY VERY VERY slightly, in the tiniest of ways, to the left but when looking down the row of pins one seens a straight line. I'm probably being very paranoid here but I just want some advice or maybe someone who has done the same to speak up and tell me it's going to be OK. :D

It's a new Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition so I'm sweating bullets here...

I'm RMA'ing the board I placed the processor in for other reasons but, like I said, kinda nervous. Putting together new parts is like sensitive heart surgery. :\

(RMA Thread: http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx...nguage=en-us&page=1&board_id=1&model=M4A78T-E).

2. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    done this a few times. if the pins are straight, the CPU is fine.

the reason this happened is that you made an air tight seal between CPU and heatsink with the thermal paste - i try and leave the very corners thermal paste free, so i can simply twist (no pulling!) the cooler and off it comes.

3. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    If the pins are all straight and you pulled it straight out of the socket, your CPU is fine. Just gently twist it left and right to break the seal that the thermal paste is causing, and the CPU should pop right off and be as good as new.

Crunching for Team TPU
  4. DRDNA

DRDNA

Thanks Received:
    Its always best to give the heatsync a twist to the right then to the left befor pulling up on it in order to break the thermal paste. I have fixed about five CPU's with bent pins. I use a small eye glass screwdriver to minipulate the pins that are bent.

5. dir_d

dir_d

Thanks Received:
    Same thing happens to me i bent 5 pins...i used tweezers to bend the pins back cleaned the heat sink and chip reapplied TIM and no issues at all still at 4ghz just like before

6. Loosenut

Loosenut

Thanks Received:
    I use the tip of a 0.5mm lead mechanical pencil, without the lead of course. The tip fits right over the pin and helps in straightening the bent pin

AlienIsGOD says thanks.
  7. l4derman New Member

Thanks Received:
    thanks all! *phew* :)

8. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    first time i did it, i had to straighten 30 pins.

9. Loosenut

Loosenut

Thanks Received:
    :eek:

My first was only 3 and almost gave me a heart attack... 30 would have put me over the edge :laugh:

10. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    i spent hooooours on it.

11. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    Did the same thing with an old socket 478. It was fine.

Learned my lesson. Now If I have to wrestle with the heatsink, I'll either run the PC under load to warm it up, or stick the motherboard in the oven at 150f for a little while. Softens the thermal paste.

12. Loosenut

Loosenut

Thanks Received:
    I can imagine. My wife made me fill up the swear jar that night...

13. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    I've done this a bunch of times myself, never had any adverse effects though. It's a good idea to twist the heatsink around a bit, maybe even turn the computer on to warm it up and make it a bit eaiser.

Crunching for Team TPU
  14. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Wouldn't do that, I have seen a fair share of hardware being barbecued well done. I would just take my time instead.

15. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    ^ yeah just take your time with it. With the stock AMD heatsink the plastic retention bracket hit the heatsink if you try to give it a good twist. If you don't want to take a chance heating it, just twist it ever so slightly back and forth will a slight pull up every once and a while and the thing will come right out. I've yet to pull a CPU out and some have been really stuck with AS 5 :laugh:

Crunching for Team TPU
  16. kenkickr

kenkickr

Thanks Received:
    Been there, done that more than a few times when the Athlon 64's came out.

Back when we all use to receive those fake card credit's in the mail I would save them to help with straightening out the pins and line them up.

Just make sure the proc will slide into the pin holes cause it's never a good thing to force something in....well sometimes it's OK:D(J/K)

Crunching for Team TPU
  17. twilyth Guest

a trick for straightening pins is to get a piece of very fine tubing - something like a large bore hypodermic needle is good. It should be maybe 2 or 3 times the diameter of the pin.

you slide the tube over the pin and rotate the tube to an upright position plus a tad more. This way you should be able to get the pin almost straight on the first try.

If you have to play with a pin too much, there is good chance you will snap it off since the metal becomes more brittle the more you bend it.

18. Necrofire

Necrofire New Member

Thanks Received:
    I've done that more times than not, so many times so I just expect it nowadays. Can't say I've had to straighten more than a few bent pins though. Although, the bent pins were from my fingers while twisting the cpu to get it off the heatsink :D

The slight twist method does work though. Except, on the thick thermal paste like AS5, it might still hold on no matter what.

Yea, I slight twist while pulling up usually gets it off and leaves the cpu in the socket.

19. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    the more modern ones (AM2+ onwards at least) have room so you can slide it sideways without hitting anything, its part of the design.

20. Melvis

Melvis

Thanks Received:
    *Slaps head* That is what i should of done when i pulled out my X6, it was my very first CPU that came out with the heatsink, couldn't believe it, and it had to be the X6 didn't it? :ohwell::shadedshu

Every other time i just wiggle the heatsink from side to side and off it comes with no issues but the X6..... man it was stuck on good, but what i didn't do and i do this most times before i pull a CPU out is to run the system for a while so it heats up the paste making it easier to remove the heatsink. But at least it pulled out with no bent pins at all, so it was all good.

Note to self run system, and use a card to pull apart the paste from CPU/cooler before i pull the cooler off.

21. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    aslong as pins are not crushed or only bent once, you should be able to bend them back with a .7 mechanical pencil

22. twilyth Guest

Thanks - THAT is what I was thinking of for a thin tube but I couldn't remember that's what I'd used. Being brain dead does so suck. :shadedshu

23. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    thats why the TIM on a Stock Heatsink i remove and use THermal Compound

24. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    With AS5 if its stuck it sure as hell isn't sliding either!:laugh: The twist is where its at :D

Crunching for Team TPU
  25. blkhogan

blkhogan New Member

Thanks Received:
    Come on everybody.... lets do the twist. Twist it to the left, good. Now to the right, perfect. Pop goes the weasel.
    I learned my lesson long time ago. The twist is your friend when it comes to getting that pesky cooler broke loose. :laugh:

theonedub says thanks.