• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Project: Hutch, a Qmicra v2 gets water

craigbru

awww... we don't get the royal treatment! :D

Sounds good man. Can't wait to see it up.. probably be time i get up.. wait.. your in... Mid day delight then!

:toast:

Tell you what, give me a second and I will post it. Consider it a TPU exclusive! :D

craigbru

As I mentioned in my previous post, finding a great spot for the pump and multiple hard drives was a challenge. I manged to get it worked out, and with the pump mounted, I could move on to the hard drive mounts.

There will be room for 4 hard drives total, in two different locations. What you are about to see, are the drives that will be mounted below the center support section in the case.

I decided to use a channel type mount. What you see here is a piece of aluminum channel cut and bent. You'll have to forgive the lack of few pictures here. When I was live streaming this part, I forgot to grab the camera...

In each of the channels, I've placed some rubber 'U' molding. This will act to dampen vibration.

Here are the approximate locations for the channels. Due to the way I wanted to mount these, bolts or rivets wasn't going to cut it. I decided to break out the torch and HTS-2000. The channels were brazed in to place. I was live streaming during this portion as well, hence the lack of in progress pictures.

The braze..

Next up, I needed to make brackets to mount to the hard drives. These brackets will slide in to the channels.

I drilled a few holes, and mounted the drive...

And finally, the drive mounted in place.

Next I'll be working on the remaining two hard drive mounts, as well as a custom shroud to cover the center section of the case. Stay tuned!

Wile E

Power User
System Name The ClusterF**k
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 BIOS F12
Cooling MCR-320, DDC-1 pump w/Bitspower res top (1/2" fittings), Koolance CPU-360
Memory 3x2GB Mushkin Redlines 1600Mhz 6-8-6-24 1T
Video Card(s) Evga GTX 580
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB, 2xSeagate 320GB RAID0; 2xSeagate 3TB; 2xSamsung 2TB; Samsung 1.5TB
Display(s) HP LP2475w 24" 1920x1200 IPS
Case Technofront Bench Station
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte into Onkyo SR606 and Polk TSi200's + RM6750
Power Supply ENERMAX Galaxy EVO EGX1250EWT 1250W
Software Win7 Ultimate N x64, OSX 10.8.4
Pure, effin genius. That would be perfect for a Tech Station. Seeing you, Snipe, CD, and MK do this has me wanting to turn my Stacker 830 Mobo tray into a tech station, by just adding some legs and a bottom shelf. HDDs had me a little stumped tho, as I have 5 at any given time. I would so use this idea for HDD mounting on it. lol.

Last edited:

Cold Storm

Battosai
System Name Haro
Processor AMD 1700x
Motherboard AsRork x370 Taichi
Cooling EK Custom Loop - CPU only
Memory 32gb G-Skill Trident Z
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080 Superclock 2
Storage Too Many
Display(s) Viewsonic VX2450WM-LED 24" & LG 32 IPS
Case Cooler Master Cosmos II
Power Supply Cooler Master V1000
Mouse SteelSeries Rival 500
Software Win10 Pro
Benchmark Scores i5 750 4.62ghz pi runs // Evga FTW p55
awww.. now I'm all warm in side to go to bed!

as for you wile e... I think you can do that venture and maybe even one up it by having it done as a Pyramid style... 3 right on the bottom, then two stacked on top of the three.. I think it can be done quite well!

System Name First Build 2.0
Processor AMD FX-8320 Eight-Core @3.5
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 rev. 4
Cooling Stock AMD
Memory 16 GB (4x4GB) G.Skill
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon HD 6870 1 GB
Storage SSD- Seagate 600 Series ST240HM000 240 GB
Display(s) Asus VE248H / ViewSonic VA1912wb
Case Cooler Master Storm Scout
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX550M
Software 7 Ultimate 64
that looks amazing.

subbed

craigbru

Pure, effin genius. That would be perfect for a Tech Station. Seeing you, Snipe, CD, and MK do this has me wanting to turn my Stacker 830 Mobo tray into a tech station, by just adding some legs and a bottom shelf. HDDs had me a little stumped tho, as I have 5 at any given time. I would so use this idea for HDD mounting on it. lol.

Thanks mate!

I bounced through multiple ideas before finally settling on this. I'm really happy with the way that it turned out, and I think you would too if you did something similar.

awww.. now I'm all warm in side to go to bed!

as for you wile e... I think you can do that venture and maybe even one up it by having it done as a Pyramid style... 3 right on the bottom, then two stacked on top of the three.. I think it can be done quite well!

Haha, glad I could help!

craigbru

Who's ready for another update?

With the completion of the first two hard drive mounts, it was time to move on to the second pair. In order to mount them, I needed to have something to mount them to... This came in the form of a new shroud for the center of the case. This shroud will cover all components there, and provide for a streamlined look.

Here I've got the panel marked out and ready to cut.

The panel all cut...

After cutting, it was time to bring out my trusty brake. It hasn't really had a good workout since the completion of the Rogue. That's about to change though...

Now, before I can give the shroud a test mount, I've got to get these studs gone.

Let's see how it fits...

Like a glove!

Okay, now that we know it fits, I need to get the holes cut for the hard drive mounts. I'll be modifying and reusing the original mounts. Their modification is soon to come, but it won't change the way that they mount. I'll be duplicating PCDL's original method, as it's so simple and elegant.

Here I've got the holes marked out.

The first two holes cut...

One down, one to go!

The second one is done!

Now all the drives have a home. I just need to add new mounting studs like the ones I cut off earlier. A also have some other detail work to finish up on the shroud, and that will be in the next update.

Before I wrap up this post, I've got one more additional thing to show you. For anyone that may have clicked on the 'Losias Live' tab on my site, you'll see that I'm working on doing some live modding broadcasts. I've done a few test runs, and came to the conclusion early on that the picture was a little dark. As of today, I took care of that little issue. Needless to say my worktable is no longer dark...

MKmods

Case Mod Guru
System Name Crossflow III
Processor AMD 965 (4.04Ghz)
Motherboard Asus Crosshair III
Cooling Air
Memory 4 gigs Mushkin 7-7-7-20@1T
Video Card(s) single 9800GT
Storage Raptor 150's in Raid0
Display(s) LG Flatron 24"
Case Custom
Audio Device(s) AuzenTech X-Raider W/OP637
Power Supply Custom modded Corsair 750HX
Software Win 7 64/Solaris Utility
Benchmark Scores 3DMark06--21963 so far
I really enjoy ur progress. (excellent detail work) Im looking forward to when we get to share this stuff in person...
Big ass LAN FTW!

Cold Storm

Battosai
System Name Haro
Processor AMD 1700x
Storage Too Many
Software Win10 Pro
Hey man, looking good!

Now, as for your "live broadcasts"... Gotta let us know when you do it!

Like I said MK in your thread. Grab me a huge enough grill, and maybe a oven or two.. You got some good a$$ burgers, chicken, steak... Oh yeah, need a fryer also. I make some mean Homemade cinnamon nachos! :rockout:

craigbru

I really enjoy ur progress. (excellent detail work) Im looking forward to when we get to share this stuff in person...
Big ass LAN FTW!

Haha, thanks Mark! Too bad Nebraska and Nevada weren't a little closer. However, as we've discussed, we'll meet up at some west coast event next year.

Hey man, looking good!

Now, as for your "live broadcasts"... Gotta let us know when you do it!

Like I said MK in your thread. Grab me a huge enough grill, and maybe a oven or two.. You got some good a$$ burgers, chicken, steak... Oh yeah, need a fryer also. I make some mean Homemade cinnamon nachos! :rockout:

Thanks man! I just had a small LAN a few weeks ago, and it was a damn good time. Grilling and gaming was how we rolled...

The easiest way to keep track of when I'm streaming is to follow my twitter feed @craigbru. I always post an update of when I go live. Hell, even if you're not in to the whole twitter thing, you can still sign up and follow just for the updates alone.

Cold Storm

Battosai
System Name Haro
Processor AMD 1700x
Storage Too Many
Software Win10 Pro
Thanks man! I just had a small LAN a few weeks ago, and it was a damn good time. Grilling and gaming was how we rolled...

The easiest way to keep track of when I'm streaming is to follow my twitter feed @craigbru. I always post an update of when I go live. Hell, even if you're not in to the whole twitter thing, you can still sign up and follow just for the updates alone.

All right man, I'll throw that on my twitter so I know next time.

Glad the lan went well!

craigbru

Who's ready for another update? The last post left off with a half finished center shroud, and newly installed lights in the shop, and that's where we will pick up now. As you're about to see, the new lights are bright. They are surface of the sun bright. They are so bright I couldn't see quite right for a day after I first turned them on. So, what better way to explain the results, than with a pic? I can say with certainty that this picture doesn't do reality justice...

With all the newly found glow, I needed a way to tone things down a bit, so I put in a dimmer switch.

Since the lighting was taken care of, it was time to get back to finishing the center shroud. The first task at hand was to modify the OEM hard drive mounts. There isn't room in the case to use the mounts as they were. While they could originally hold two drives apiece, I only needed them to hold one. So, they were marked for a date with the Dremel.

After they were cut and sanded...

I thought now as a good time for a test fit.

With the left side looking good, I thought I should check things out on the right side as well. First I need to get the fans mounted to the side radiator.

Now I drop the radiator on it's mount, and put it in place. All looks well!

Almost there! I just need to find a way to secure the side hard drive mounts in place. These bolts will do nicely...

Done!

Up next is the switch plate, stay tuned!

Cold Storm

Battosai
System Name Haro
Processor AMD 1700x
Storage Too Many
Software Win10 Pro
Looking good Craig! can't wait for the switch post!

craigbru

Two updates in one day? Crazy, isn't it? Well, as promised, I'm moving on to the switch plate. For any of you that remember when I was putting the mesh in the case cover, you'll have noticed that the switches were in a non-traditional location. They are on the right side of the case, and to facilitate their placement, a custom bracket was needed.

So, I marked out the pattern I needed in a piece of aluminum, and I was ready to cut.

A little quick Dremel work, and then some time on the metal brake resulted in this...

A quick test fit indicated I could move on to the next step. It fit exactly as it should.

Next I had to mark out the switch locations.

Once drilled and Dremeled, I was left with dropping the switch and an USB port in place. Like a glove!

With a high strength epoxy applied, the bracket was clamped in place.

One day later, and the epoxy was cured. The clamps were removed, and believe me when I say, that bracket won't be coming off anytime soon... okay, ever...

So, what's next at this point? Well, good question. All major pieces are now in place. I've got no real fabrication left. Hutch and I are still contemplating a good reservoir idea, but other than that, it's all down to details now. I've got wire sleeving to do, as well as hose routing. Also, who could forget the paint? Colors aren't definite, but the interior will be black, while the outside will be a complementing color. Sure, we'll also likely slip in some other small details here and there, but this is really the bulk of it. Of course I'll continue to post as work progresses, but for now, we've got the clean and solid foundation we were looking for. There's no bling, or extraneous fluff here. So, for anyone expecting Project: Rogue type insanity, stick around for the official start of OSIDIAS soon!

Cold Storm

Battosai
System Name Haro
Processor AMD 1700x
Storage Too Many
Software Win10 Pro
sweet! Must be my lucky day!!! Day off and so forth!!

Looks sweet! Love how the switch panel turned out! Now, making me think of redoing my switch box thanks to you! :toast:

Your Rogue is making me think of a "passive" rogue water loop..

Thanks for the update!

craigbru

Thanks for the compliments! Lol, well, I was slacking on the updates, so you did get lucky! :)

Cold Storm

Battosai
System Name Haro
Processor AMD 1700x
Storage Too Many
Software Win10 Pro
wOOT!

Can't wait to see more!!! Coming along very well!

Processor AMD Phenom II 555BE unlocked X4 @3.8GHz
Motherboard GA-78LMT-S2P
Cooling Thermaltake Blue Orb + open case in cold room = low temps lol
Memory 8Gb DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) GTX580
Storage 64GB SSD Super Talent
Display(s) 22" Chimei, 17" Philips
Case POS!
Power Supply Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 800W

craigbru

Thanks guys!

@Cuzza... Um... I'll take that as a compliment. ;)

System Name Old Gateway / Steam Deck OLED LE
Processor i5 4440 3.1ghz / Jupiter 4c 8t
Motherboard Gateway / Valve
Cooling Eh it doesn't thermal throttle
Memory 2x 8GB JEDEC 1600mhz DDR3 / 16gb DDR5 6400
Video Card(s) RX 560D 4GB / Navi II 8CU
Storage 240gb 2.5 SSD / 1TB nvme
Display(s) Dell @ 1280*1024 75hz / 800p OLED
Case Gateway / Valve LE
Audio Device(s) Gateway Diamond Audio EMC2.0-USB 5375U ($15 a long ass time ago), Valve
Power Supply 380w oem / 65w valve USB-C
Mouse Purple Walmart special, 1600dpi. Black desk mat
Keyboard SteelSeries Apex 100 / virtual
VR HMD Lmao
Software Windows 10 / Steam OS
Benchmark Scores It can run Crysis (Original), Doom 2016, and Halo MCC. SD LE 45fps
wow that looks amazing, can't wait to see the final result!

System Name My pc
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus Rog b450-f
Cooling Cooler master 120mm aio
Memory 16gb ddr4 3200mhz
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 3x 3070
Storage 2tb intel nvme and 2tb generic ssd
Display(s) Generic dell 1080p overclocked to 75hz
Case Phanteks enthoo
Power Supply 650w of borderline fire hazard
Mouse Some wierd Chinese vertical mouse
Keyboard Generic mechanical keyboard
Software Windows ten
Looks great so far, sub'd!

Makes me want to be a bit tidier with my work.

Wile E

Power User
System Name The ClusterF**k
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 BIOS F12
Cooling MCR-320, DDC-1 pump w/Bitspower res top (1/2" fittings), Koolance CPU-360
Memory 3x2GB Mushkin Redlines 1600Mhz 6-8-6-24 1T
Video Card(s) Evga GTX 580
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB, 2xSeagate 320GB RAID0; 2xSeagate 3TB; 2xSamsung 2TB; Samsung 1.5TB
Display(s) HP LP2475w 24" 1920x1200 IPS
Case Technofront Bench Station
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte into Onkyo SR606 and Polk TSi200's + RM6750
Power Supply ENERMAX Galaxy EVO EGX1250EWT 1250W
Software Win7 Ultimate N x64, OSX 10.8.4
Those are some sweet switches. Where might one acquire such sweet switches?

Processor AMD Phenom II 555BE unlocked X4 @3.8GHz
Motherboard GA-78LMT-S2P
Cooling Thermaltake Blue Orb + open case in cold room = low temps lol
Memory 8Gb DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) GTX580
Storage 64GB SSD Super Talent
Display(s) 22" Chimei, 17" Philips
Case POS!
Power Supply Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 800W
Thanks guys!

@Cuzza... Um... I'll take that as a compliment. ;)

Ok sorry man but there is now something else I am looking forward to more, that is the world cup because New Zealand just qualified for the 1st time since '82.