1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Project: Irate

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by 1Kurgan1, Aug 14, 2009.

1. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    Project: Irate - HAF 922 Mod

Finally massive update on post #78 (after 2 years)! :laugh:
    Builds done for this year post #83

Parts are starting to show up, and the new build going to start going underway very soon. I don't know if I am going to paint the interior of the case yet, either way I fit a little surprise in there, here's a few pics, more will start appearing around the end of next week :toast:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and here's where the fun begins!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Can't wait to see how the loop fits in a mid tower :rockout:

Last edited: Jul 31, 2012
  2. Asylum

Asylum

Thanks Received:
    Nice.
    Cant wait to see how the build goes!!

1Kurgan1 says thanks.
  3. YinYang.ERROR

YinYang.ERROR New Member

Thanks Received:
    Does the HAF letters on the side of the case bug anyone else? It is the one thing I don't like about the HAF 922.

Your modding that case right?

4. EnergyFX

EnergyFX New Member

Thanks Received:
    It's love/hate for me. If the case gets heavily modded then I always think factory markings should be taken off, but if the case gets left relatively unmolested then factory markings seem appropriate to me.

That's how I see it anyways. For example... a heavily modded HAF isn't really an HAF anymore... its a custom piece of work so get rid of the marking.

5. 1Kurgan1

Thanks Received:
    I like the markings on the side, that case is a dull case, and it allows them to show the name without being too flashy and having another color mixed in.

But yes I am modding, I'm not sure exactly how much will need to be done though as this case already has a lot going for it and I'm not completely worried about airflow as I'm running a WC loop in there. But I am still trying to think what I should be doing to the inside of the beast, once I get everything ready to go in will be easier to figure out.

6. MKmods Case Mod Guru

Thanks Received:
    Removing the silly sideways HDd rack would be the first thing I did.

A window should be in order, and cutting out the HAF letters out and putting a piece of colored acrylic on the inside would look cool.

Cutting out the stamped in fan grills would also be of benefit

1Kurgan1 says thanks.
  7. 1Kurgan1

Thanks Received:
    Some great tips there, I might have to pick up a dremel, I dont have one. I don't know if the rack will stay or go, I kind of like it, but I am tempted to drill out the rivets and move it back a bit so it would be possible to put a 140mm or 160mm rad up front, then another 120 or 140mm rad on that bottom fan. Granted removing the rack would allow a 240mm rad to go below. That or I could cut out the bottom few HDD spots so I could fit a 230mm rad down ther and retain some HDD storage.

The acrylic idea is awesome, didn't even think about that. Then could place some lighting above and below the acrylic and a shroud around them so only the HAF lights up. Fan grills I got to think about, I really like how they look, but if I could find something that looked better in their place, then I would go for it. Once again thanks for those tips, really gives me some direction, also some more news about parts on the way, I took a big hit on my wallet today :banghead:

[​IMG]

**EDIT** Now I'm back thinking about dremels and such, and surfing amazon looking at them. Any pointers on what too look for here or some good links?

8. Asylum

Asylum

Thanks Received:
    1Kurgan1 says thanks.
  9. 1Kurgan1

Thanks Received:
  10. Assassin48 New Member

Thanks Received:
    get a multi speed dremel and dont get cordless ones

cant wait to see some pics

1Kurgan1 says thanks.
  11. steelkane

steelkane New Member

Thanks Received:
    That what I was thinking about the letters
    http://www.techpowerup.com/gallery/1772.html

1Kurgan1 says thanks.
  12. DarkEgo

DarkEgo

Thanks Received:
    You aren't going to be able to fit fans in that triple rad. I had to mod mine to fit because they will come down and cover ram slots on your mobo. Also I would follow MK's suggestion and remove that HDD bay, it is very easy to do and improves air flow dramatically (especially sense it doesn't push much air any way.).

1Kurgan1 says thanks.
  13. MoonPig

MoonPig

Thanks Received:
    I'd have the barbs facing into the drive bays (like you have) then ask CyberDruid to make me a 4x5.25" bay reservoir that lines up with the barbs. That would be awesome.

Then use an external DVD Drive.

Actually, if you have the money, do that, it'd be amazing.

1Kurgan1 says thanks.
  14. 1Kurgan1

Thanks Received:
    I'm thinking about doing something like that, but if I do it, I would place the lights a bit off the the sides, and place a shroud around them so the lights wouldn't send light elsewhere in my case. That way the letters light up, but they don't have those obvious lights behind them. But that idea might change once it goes under the knife and I can actually see how it looks in person.

Already got that all figured out. You just can't fit 38mm fans on the ram spot. For now the back and front slots are going to run 120x38mm Ultra Kaze 3's and the middle slot above the RAM's gonna run a 120x25mm fan. As far as my measurements showed I could fit a 30mm fan over the RAM, but Silverstone makes a really nice 32mm fan that I'm wondering if I could fit above the RAM.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835220013

Once I start putting it all together then I will be able to measure more accurately and decide if I can fit the 32mm fan, if I can't I''ll prob pickup it's little brother the Silverstone 25mm, as the 25mm is actually rated at 3cfm more pushing out 110, but I doubt it's static pressure can compare so would rather get the 32mm if I can.

Also cooking up some good ideas for the front fan exhaust since 1/3 of that rad will be under the front bezel on the top. I'm going to make some sort of housing to go under that and cut out the notches on the back side of it to make it exhaust out. I just tore it down to it's bones, will post pics tomorrow about those thoughts.

Thats a good idea, but I'm moving the rad inside the case to try and keep it neat. So I would probably only want him to make a 3 bay res so I could use the bottom bay to hold my DVD-RW. Otherwise that is a wicked idea, I been contimplating what to do for a res and thats a killer idea!

MoonPig says thanks.
  15. 1Kurgan1

Thanks Received:
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2009
  16. MKmods Case Mod Guru

Thanks Received:
    The Black and decker is 1000 X better than ANY dremel.... go to walmart and pick one up (only $20)

1Kurgan1 says thanks.
  17. steelkane

steelkane New Member

Thanks Received:
  18. 1Kurgan1

Thanks Received:
    Sounds like a plan, gonna head up to Gamestop real quick and reserve a game, then hit Walmart and get a dremel, getting all giddy about cutting this up.

19. MKmods Case Mod Guru

Thanks Received:
    the other cool thing about the BD tool is it uses all the dremel accessories (I get those at Home Depot)

And the link SK posted is great for people that arent sure if they will continue to use the tool

20. 1Kurgan1

Thanks Received:
    To all who recommended the dremel, there isn't enough Thanks button to go around. I went and picked up a very nice setup, $25 Black and Decker dremel and a $20 kit of basic junk for it.

[​IMG]

The recommendation for a 3 speed was awesome, glad I bought this one. Now to show how giddy I got with it, but first to show her naked :O

[​IMG]

and now topless :rockout: Yes after this I'm popping out the HDD bays and 5.25" bays for an easy painting, then moving the HDD bays back a 1/2" so I can fit a rad up front and a rad in the bottom.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here's my idea for the venting of the front part f the rad. I still need to cut out the rest of the slots and figure out how to square off the corners, but I think it looks really sharp like this, and once the rest are gone will look awesome!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 15, 2009
  21. steelkane

steelkane New Member

Thanks Received:
  22. DarkEgo

DarkEgo

Thanks Received:
    Ah the difference is I had to get a BIX in there and it looks like you have a MCR320. The 320 is only about half as thick as the BIX. A recommendation for a rad to put up front would be a PA.160. They fit perfect! And it is a very good rad (better then a PA 120.2 and close to a 120.3).

1Kurgan1 says thanks.
  23. EnergyFX

EnergyFX New Member

Thanks Received:
    bleh! Why does my work have to block image hosting sites? I can't see :(

24. MKmods Case Mod Guru

Thanks Received:
  25. Marineborn

Marineborn New Member

Thanks Received:
    Good choice on the motherboard josh, and i like the case too bad its not a full tower....but still nice

1Kurgan1 says thanks.